[Root] Epic 4G Froyo & Eclair ClockworkMod v3.0.2.5 Switch Between RFS & EXT4

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Standard Disclaimer: as with any Android modification, proceed at your own risk.

[NOTE]The following will root your Samsung Epic 4G and will also install the latest version of Clockwork available for the Epic, version 3.0.2.5. Already have root access and an older version of Clockwork? Go to this thread and flash this file in your current version of Clockwork to be upgraded (how simple is that?).

This new version of Clockwork is an important step forward because it allows you to switch between RFS and EXT4 filesystems, whereas previously different versions of Clockwork were needed depending on the desired filesystem (this new version of Clockwork will not auto-convert your phone to EXT4).[/NOTE]

[INFO]What is a filesystem?
A filesystem is a method of storing and organizing files and their data. Basically, a filesystem organizes your files into a database for the storage, organization, manipulation, and retrieval by the Android operating system.

What's the difference between RFS and EXT4?
RFS is Samsung's proprietary filesystem, which has a pretty poorly written driver and is overall not very efficient. EXT4 is the filesystem used by Linux, and is more efficient than RFS. EXT4's efficiency over RFS gives a noticeable boost in operating system responsiveness/performance (the nimble Nexus S uses EXT4).

What are the benefits of converting to EXT4?
Having an EXT4 filesystem will increase your operating system speed and responsiveness.

What does this procedure do to my phone exactly?
It will permanently root your phone, as well as install Clockwork v3.2.0.5. If you also convert to EXT4, then it will format "/cache", "/data" and "/system" from RFS to EXT4. It will also give you the ability to flash custom modification zip files that use Edify scripts.

What's an Edify script?
There are currently two ways to create flashable zip scripts. The first one is "update-script", also known as Amend. Amend was the first version of the scripting language created by Google, and was used in Android 1.0 and Cupcake (1.5). However, Amend has two serious design flaws: function arguments can not span more than 1 word, and the scripting language is compiled into the recovery causing image bloat and inflexibility. Because of this reason Google removed Amend support in Donut and beyond, and instead switched to update-binary and updater-script, which is also known as Edify.

However, Amend support was left in Clockwork, to help ease the transition off its usage in ROM creation. Clockwork needed to transition to using the newer Edify scripts to be compatible with Gingerbread. So we now have a recovery that is Gingerbread ready and uses the better Edify scripts instead of Amend scripts.

What if I want to flash a zip that uses Amend scripting?
In light of this new version of Clockwork, the Epic 4G developer community will likely make all future mods using the Edify script. However, if there is an older zip that uses Amend scripting that you would like to flash, you can use this thread to convert the file to be Edify compatible.

What do I need to get started?
A computer running Windows, OSX or Linux, a USB cable, and an Epic 4G with Eclair or Froyo installed. If you plan on also converting to EXT4, Froyo is required.

What if I convert to EXT4 and want to go back to RFS?
Flash EXT42RFS.zip from this thread.

Is there any way to go back to stock after I do this?
Yes, you can use Odin to return to a completely stock state - see this thread.[/INFO]

Last edited:

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Rooting and Installing ClockworkMod Recovery v3.0.2.5

0. You must be on Android 2.1 Eclair build DI18, Android 2.2 Froyo build EB13 or Android 2.2 Froyo build EC05 (latest official Android build/version). If this is you, proceed to Step 1. Otherwise, it is recommended that you flash official Froyo EC05 before continuing.

The exploit used here has been patched in Gingerbread. If you are running stock unrooted Gingerbread, you can either: 1) root using Gingerbreak or 2) factory restore to Froyo EC05, root using the below method and then flash a prerooted version of Gingerbread.

2. Go to this thread and download OneClickRootCWM3.0.2.5-EC05.zip (filename is correct, this zip works for DI18, EB13 and EC05) onto your computer, then extract it to a folder on your desktop.

[NOTE]The file you downloaded above may be recognized by your antivirus program as "rageagainstthecage." This file will not harm your computer. The reason it is detected is because it is a security exploit - one that allows the changing of secure Android system files (which is the entire point of rooting!). So no need to fear, it is completely safe. If your antivirus program deletes, quarantines, etc. this file you will need to either mark it as safe or disable your antivirus software altogether.[/NOTE]

3. On your phone, push MENU, then select Applications > Development, then enable USB debugging and connect your phone to your computer via USB.
5247348177_81f69fe529.jpg

4a. If you are using Windows, go to Step 4b. If you're using OSX or Linux, go to Step 4c.

4b. Download and install the appropriate drivers for your Windows system:
32-bit drivers
64-bit drivers

Plug your Epic into your computer via USB and let Windows recognize your phone/configure the drivers. After Windows is done with the drivers, unplug your Epic.

Now double click "run.bat" in the folder from Step 2. Once done, proceed to Step 5.
5769451859_1fdb3c1c92.jpg

4c. Open a terminal and navigate to the unzipped folder
Type: chmod 777 run.sh
Type: ./run.sh
Now proceed to Step 5.
5769991020_b3f786674d.jpg

5. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process.

[WARN]The type of USB cord and the specific USB computer port can make or break the success of this installation. If you are getting errors in the command prompt during this step, trying swapping USB cables and/or switching USB ports (even the USB cord that came with the phone can cause problems!).

If the command prompt says "device not connected" after using multiple USB cables and/or ports, try restarting your phone and computer and rerun the rooting script.

Antivirus programs can also cause problems. If you still can't get the run.bat file to work, try disabling your antivirus software.[/WARN]

If all goes well your command prompt should look something like this (picture is from Windows but will be similar to OSX/Linux):
5769991344_a752d299cd.jpg

5769991584_057575ae42.jpg

6. If you would also like to convert to EXT4, follow the instructions in the next post. If not, then you're done! Enjoy root access and ClockworkMod Recovery :D

Last edited:

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Converting to an EXT4 filesystem

0. You must be using Android 2.2 Froyo for the following procedure (any build). Otherwise, it is recommended that you flash official Froyo EC05 before continuing.

1a. Go to this thread and download ext4converter.zip. Place this file on the root (bottom directory) of your SD card.

1b. The EXT4 filesystem requires a compatible kernel/ROM. Choose a ROM that supports EXT4, download it and place it on the root of your SD card. A list of ROMs for Froyo EC05 can be found here.

2. Boot into ClockworkMod Recovery (power off phone, then hold volume down+camera+power) and make a backup of your system by going to Backup and restore>Backup.

3. In Clockwork, flash the file from Step 1a by going to: Install zip from sdcard>choose zip from sdcard>oneclick_ext4converter.zip>Yes.

4. Restore the backup you made in Step 2 by going to Backup and restore>Restore (select the backup with the most recent timestamp).

5. Flash the ROM you downloaded in Step 1b by going to Install zip from sdcard>choose zip from sdcard>(ROM name)>Yes.

[NOTE]If your phone will not boot past the Samsung screen, try flashing the ROM again[/NOTE]

6. If you decide later that you want to go back to RFS, go to this thread, download EXT42RFS.zip and flash it in Clockwork.

Last edited:
Reactions: dtm_stretch

Maezorg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
basically does this just eliminate the need to odin back to RFS when flashing between a rom that uses EXT4 and a rom that uses RFS?

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
basically does this just eliminate the need to odin back to RFS when flashing between a rom that uses EXT4 and a rom that uses RFS?

Yes it does. Newer ROMs should have a filesystem check and conversion built into the updater-script. Make sure to read the ROM installation instructions to make sure, of course.

Reactions: Maezorg

Ostrich69

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
ok im on pauls pre rooted froyo ec05 if i do this conversion will i be able to swicth between that and acs srf 1.1.1 with out losing any data

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
ok im on pauls pre rooted froyo ec05 if i do this conversion will i be able to swicth between that and acs srf 1.1.1 with out losing any data

Both ACE and Syndicate are EXT4 ROMs, correct? If so you should be able to switch between them with your current version of Clockwork. If there are RFS and EXT4 ROMs you want to switch between, that's where Clockwork v3.0.2.5 becomes handy.

Sent by a little green robot

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I would make a Nandroid Backup just to be safe but it should switch over. I haven't done any scripting for this new CWM yet or looked at the updater scripting behind it that determines the installation but it should work.

Both ACE and Syndicate are EXT4 ROMs, correct? If so you should be able to switch between them with your current version of Clockwork. If there are RFS and EXT4 ROMs you want to switch between, that's where Clockwork v3.0.2.5 becomes handy.

Sent by a little green robot
Ragnarokx, I believe he was referring to the prerooted/CWM 2.5.1.0/EC05 RFS/Odex version that was installed using Odin.

Am I correct Ostrch69?

Ostrich69

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
yes that is correct paul

because i do like the stock but i want to try other stuff out also to see whats better but i want to be able to not lose my data from my stock and go back and fourth from stock pre rooted and syndicate and ace

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
yes that is correct paul

because i do like the stock but i want to try other stuff out also to see whats better but i want to be able to not lose my data from my stock and go back and fourth from stock pre rooted and syndicate and ace
I would make your Nandroid backup before moving onward to ACE and Syndicate. This way if your not happy you can always Odin back to the prerooted EC05 and restore your Nandroid backup.

Ostrich69

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
ok cool thanks paul and Ragnarokx you guys are great and i dont think i would root or run custom roms with out you to.

therber219

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
If I am running the leaked EE03, can I just install the ext4converter since I alreaddy have CWM 3.0.2.5 on the phone? Or do I need to odin back?

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
To run an EXT4 filesystem, you must have a kernel that supports it. There will be no such kernel until official Gingerbread is released (which is when the kernel source code is made available), so if you try and run EE03 with EXT4 you won't be able to boot or will have constant reboots. So Gingerbread is RFS only atm unfortunately.

If you're looking to go to Froyo with EXT4, flash the Froyo ROM (with kernel) and then run the EXT4 script (this may be unnecessary as many ROM auto-convert to EXT4 - check the ROM's thread). No need to Odin back thanks to CWM v3.0.2.5.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
If I am running the leaked EE03, can I just install the ext4converter since I alreaddy have CWM 3.0.2.5 on the phone? Or do I need to odin back?

Since your on EE03 which is Gingerbread and it only supports RFS filesystem at tis time running the EXT4 conversion will not work/do anything. If you want to go from EE03/GB to a Froyo based ROM then you will need to Odin back to stock EC05 and you can then run this CWM 3.0.2.5 package again.

Reactions: ShaLea

therber219

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I guess I was just curious as to whether or not if I installed the conversion I would then be able to swithc between the ext4 roms I have and the EE03 without the need to use odin anymore.