Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Tweakerer

Global Posts
    150 Global Posts
    Carrier
    ACS ICS Epic / CM7 Nook

Default Using CWM 3 for... managing installs?

Howdy all,

How feasible is it to make a Nandroid backup of my current SRF 1.1.0 install, wipe my Epic and install ACE 2.0 to see how it runs (especially with Angry Birds, wherein I've hard locked up a couple of times, and once had to Nandroid backup because of data corruption during crash), then go back to my SRF just using Nandroid backup and restore? I would assume that my Nandroid image will take me back to exactly where I am right now, yes? Nothing lost?

I don't want to use ROM Manager, but I want to definitely try out a journaled Froyo ROM to see if it helps with stability during my obsessive AB marathons...

I looked around and did not see any threads or topics on this matter, and perhaps it's a noob question -so thanks in advance for any advice. :-)

Global Posts
    767 Global Posts
    Carrier
    aosp v41 (until he update

That's what people around here do for fun - try different roms. Like you said, make the backup, then you can just hit restore. This also works if you don't like what you downloaded or have issues.

have fun
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    Tweakerer

Global Posts
    150 Global Posts
    Carrier
    ACS ICS Epic / CM7 Nook

Beautiful. That's what I thought - but wanted to make sure it was that easy before I go screwing around.

Thanks! :-)

Not 100% positive on this, but fairly certain that the only thing the nandroid doesn't back up is the kernel. So, if you flash a rom with a different kernel, then later restore, you've still got the kernel from the old. Easy solution would then be to reflash the kernel from the old rom (in this case, twilight kernel), or, just reflash SFR AFTER performing the restore (since SFR backs up and restores settings and data).

Quote Originally Posted by mis3 View Post
    Not 100% positive on this, but fairly certain that the only thing the nandroid doesn't back up is the kernel. So, if you flash a rom with a different kernel, then later restore, you've still got the kernel from the old. Easy solution would then be to reflash the kernel from the old rom (in this case, twilight kernel), or, just reflash SFR AFTER performing the restore (since SFR backs up and restores settings and data).
    The new CWM 3.0.2.5 which everyone is slowly switching to does a complete backup.

/boot image (kernel)
    /system (apps/system files)
    /data (application data)
    /cache
    /dalvik cache

So when you make a Nandroid Backup with CWM 3.0.2.5 or if your using Bonsai v.4.1.1 (beta) it would be CWM 3.0.2.8 (Bonsai custom version) you will be getting a complete system backup.

Quote Originally Posted by funktron View Post
    Howdy all,

How feasible is it to make a Nandroid backup of my current SRF 1.1.0 install, wipe my Epic and install ACE 2.0 to see how it runs (especially with Angry Birds, wherein I've hard locked up a couple of times, and once had to Nandroid backup because of data corruption during crash), then go back to my SRF just using Nandroid backup and restore? I would assume that my Nandroid image will take me back to exactly where I am right now, yes? Nothing lost?

I don't want to use ROM Manager, but I want to definitely try out a journaled Froyo ROM to see if it helps with stability during my obsessive AB marathons...

I looked around and did not see any threads or topics on this matter, and perhaps it's a noob question -so thanks in advance for any advice. :-)
    You have two options.

1. Make a Nandroid Backup of a good working setup and once backup is completed do a full wipe 3x and restore your backup you just made (this will enable journaling)

2. See this thread, download 2 flashable zip files for use in CWM. One enables journaling, one turns journaling off. Simple enough.
    [MOD] ReEnable/Disable Journaling CWM Flashable No Format or Wipe Needed Instant

Carrier
    Bonsai 4.1.1

Quote Originally Posted by Paul627g View Post
    You have two options.

1. Make a Nandroid Backup of a good working setup and once backup is completed do a full wipe 3x and restore your backup you just made (this will enable journaling)

2. See this thread, download 2 flashable zip files for use in CWM. One enables journaling, one turns journaling off. Simple enough.
    [MOD] ReEnable/Disable Journaling CWM Flashable No Format or Wipe Needed Instant
    Paul, is there a way to actually verify that journaling was turned on or off?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by skyward View Post
    Paul, is there a way to actually verify that journaling was turned on or off?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
    I think 1st or 2nd page in the OP thread at XDA on the journaling zips has a line of code you can enter using Terminal Emulator to verify journaling on/off. Really there shouldn't be any question, I know it works because I have enabled it on ACE and SRF and then done numerous soft resets without issue (which normally would be a no no, data corruption on journaling disabled). Also chris41g has tested it long before he even put this out to the public.