UI notification sounds - specifically signal loss/regain

funktron2x

Tweakerer
May 4, 2011
Visit site
A big thanks to k0nane for taking the time to point me in the right direction to find UI notification .oggs - but the one I'm looking to kill isn't in there, and I don't want to bug him via PM again... So here's a shot to the masses!

The situation is thus:
When I'm driving, I've got my beats cranking through my car stereo, yeah? This is fun, we all like this.

However, when I drive through a dead zone and lose my signal, the music stops, and a little chirpy sound plays to let me know I've lost (and/or maybe regained signal).

This Sucks?. I don't need my music to pause or a sound to play when this occurs.

As I mentioned, k0nane pointed me to system/media/audio for the .oggs that Android uses to notifiy various things (battery full, battery low, battery critical, et al).

However, this notification tone is NOT in that folder. And it must not be a .ogg file, either, because I used Root Explorer to search out .oggs, and it found all the ones in system/media/audio.

So now I've just got questions:
1) Where the hell is this notification?
2) Even if I find it and change the filename to BAKfilenamex.soundfile, will I get the pause in the music as the system goes about its notifying?
3) As I consider this and dig deeper, does my instict ring true: This situation is not necessarily fixed by me, but must be done and baked into a ROM?

One other note: My fianc?e has the same phone, but she's running stock Samsung/Sprint. The notification is exactly the same on her phone. So it appears that this is a file that wasn't modified or altered from the stock Android 2.2 that ships on the phone.

Thanks in advance to anyone who has an idea on this! I'd love to nix that **** so I don't get random interruptions in my trancy jaunts.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
A big thanks to k0nane for taking the time to point me in the right direction to find UI notification .oggs - but the one I'm looking to kill isn't in there, and I don't want to bug him via PM again... So here's a shot to the masses!

The situation is thus:
When I'm driving, I've got my beats cranking through my car stereo, yeah? This is fun, we all like this.

However, when I drive through a dead zone and lose my signal, the music stops, and a little chirpy sound plays to let me know I've lost (and/or maybe regained signal).

This Sucks?. I don't need my music to pause or a sound to play when this occurs.

As I mentioned, k0nane pointed me to system/media/audio for the .oggs that Android uses to notifiy various things (battery full, battery low, battery critical, et al).

However, this notification tone is NOT in that folder. And it must not be a .ogg file, either, because I used Root Explorer to search out .oggs, and it found all the ones in system/media/audio.

So now I've just got questions:
1) Where the hell is this notification?
2) Even if I find it and change the filename to BAKfilenamex.soundfile, will I get the pause in the music as the system goes about its notifying?
3) As I consider this and dig deeper, does my instict ring true: This situation is not necessarily fixed by me, but must be done and baked into a ROM?

One other note: My fianc?e has the same phone, but she's running stock Samsung/Sprint. The notification is exactly the same on her phone. So it appears that this is a file that wasn't modified or altered from the stock Android 2.2 that ships on the phone.

Thanks in advance to anyone who has an idea on this! I'd love to nix that **** so I don't get random interruptions in my trancy jaunts.

I've seen this posted before, I'm thinking this is deeper in the ROM and would have to be removed by going into the smali files. I'll dig around and see if I can find anything but no promises. I think dtm_stretch asked this awhile back and I haven't come to any solutions as of yet.

Reactions: funktron2x

funktron2x

Tweakerer
May 4, 2011
Visit site
Awesome!

Thanks for your help, once again. :)

PS: Not that I have grand expectations that you will find the solution overnight, or even at all. But I do appreciate your looking into it.

Reactions: Paul627g

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
So putting the ringer on silent doesn't silence that sound? I would test it myself but I don't know an area where I lose signal around here.

funktron2x

Tweakerer
May 4, 2011
Visit site
Hmm, that's a good question! I will make sure to try that specifically on my drive home tonight.

I'm almost positive I've had it happen with ringer off, because I use that mode frequently - but perhaps not as I wasn't paying that much attention to that setting.

Thanks!

dtm_stretch

Awesome Possum
Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Hmm, that's a good question! I will make sure to try that specifically on my drive home tonight.

I'm almost positive I've had it happen with ringer off, because I use that mode frequently - but perhaps not as I wasn't paying that much attention to that setting.

Thanks!

I am glad to see I am not the only who gets driven insane by this sound. I wish it could happen to at least one dev who could find the stupid file. I have posted a question for it in Q&A over at xda and the best answer I got is that it is probably well integrated into the file system. As for it happening while on silent, I am pretty sure it does not do it on silent. But I don't want to keep my phone on silent all the time. Sometimes I'll leave my phone sitting on my desk and with out moving the phone it will beep at least twice an hour while drifting between signal and no signal. AC and XDA have made my phone everything I ever wanted, I just want to find this one file and I will be 100% satisfied....I am at like 98% right now.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I am glad to see I am not the only who gets driven insane by this sound. I wish it could happen to at least one dev who could find the stupid file. I have posted a question for it in Q&A over at xda and the best answer I got is that it is probably well integrated into the file system. As for it happening while on silent, I am pretty sure it does not do it on silent. But I don't want to keep my phone on silent all the time. Sometimes I'll leave my phone sitting on my desk and with out moving the phone it will beep at least twice an hour while drifting between signal and no signal. AC and XDA have made my phone everything I ever wanted, I just want to find this one file and I will be 100% satisfied....I am at like 98% right now.
I wish I was in an area or knew of an area where I loose signal frequently I could go there and run a log cat to attempt and find out what is triggering it so I could track it down in the smali code. I know that's got to be where its located at.. Most likely its located in the services.jar file but I could be wrong.

I know of one place, I think I will have to disable roaming so it doesn't kick in.. Actually its my local Dominicks store it must be built with lead because once I get in there I have no signal 99% of the time while I'm in the store but then roaming kicks in so I will have to shut that down and attempt to run a log cat... Give me a few days and I'll make a trip over there...

Reactions: dtm_stretch

Pointless816

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
As a subway-user, I suffer the same problem. For what it's worth, putting the phone on silent or vibrate does not solve the issue; the one-second pause is still there, it just doesn't play the sound. Further, I believe turning airplane mode on and off produces the same noise, so it ought to be possible to trigger it without going to any lead-encased bunkers/stores. Really hope progress can be made with this. If anyone needs a lab rat, I'm happy to be it.

bjwest

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
So glad to see this post! My desk at work borders a weak signal zone, and that NOISE..... DRIVES ME UP THE WALL! Aaaacccckkk.... The only thing that's worse is the low battery shriek. Thanks in advance... :)

jfg69

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Haha, this noise has been driving me nuts! I work in a hospital operating room and have no signal in certain places, that stupid sound makes me crazy.. it goes off literally dozens of times in an hour as I move from area to area or while I'm having my dinner in the "no signal" break room.
Could this be built into the modem firmware?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Haha, this noise has been driving me nuts! I work in a hospital operating room and have no signal in certain places, that stupid sound makes me crazy.. it goes off literally dozens of times in an hour as I move from area to area or while I'm having my dinner in the "no signal" break room.
Could this be built into the modem firmware?
No I don't think its built into the modem firmware. Its something in the UI that sets off the annoying alert when triggered by the loss in signal. I haven't had any success tracking it down and even though this has been talked about here and other forums nobody really seems to have come up with an answer.

Andy Telesco

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

Did anyone ever find where this setting is? I had this once or twice in the past but I was able to switch off the alerts but I switch my phone service a few weeks ago and now it happens when ever I lose service or a a get a Google Now update, I removed all my sport teams from Google Now so it has decreased the alerts. But it still happens. I cannot find the setting for the service provider, so I cannot even turn on a sound, I set my default to none but that does not help. I don't get a sound even when the default is set to a sound, just a note in the logs of Dogcatcher that "AutoFocus Lost" that another app requested auto focus.

Thanks for the help

Andy

rct1123

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone ever solved this? I've got an S4 and I cannot turn off service notifications. I drive through the mountains for work and lose/gain service all the time and I get a notification every time I lose service. This is especially annoying as I'm try to listen to music. It will pause, the screen will come on, and it will play a notification sound.

Is there a way to manually edit what I receive notifications for? To maybe treat 'losing service' as a non-notifiable event in my phone? I don't understand why this seems to be a built-in and uneditable notification.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463