[ODIN] Gingerbread EF02 Leak Available with Root Instructions

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Just thought I would pass this along...

screenshot_69.png

All credit goes to xda developers and its talented devs for coming through on this so fast... Thanks guys!

Its a direct leak from Samsungs firmware servers.

Use Odin to flash the tar file once you have it downloaded. Its complete stock and has root instructions below with screen shots I provided to help aid in installation.

Source Link: Samfirmware EF02.tar download! ( credit XDA developers )

[TIP]We also have a handy, helpful video on installing EF02 by qbking77 (Thanks gbking!)

YouTube - ‪How to update to EF02 2.3 Gingerbread on the Samsung Epic 4G‬‏[/TIP]

[INFO]
::: Installation Instructions :::

- Download the Odin tar package from the link provided above.

- You will need to extract the contents using WinRaR or 7zip.

- You will be prompted to enter a password to extract the contents, enter samfirmware.com

- This will extract the following...

Odin v1.81
SPH-D700-EF02-8Gb-REL-DebugKernel.tar
SPH-D700-EF02-8Gb-REL.tar.md5
vitory_8G-100528.pit

- The screen shot below shows where to place the files and you should be good to go.

Odin3v181.jpg

Took me about 2 minutes and 42 seconds to run the Odin package and reboot into Gingerbread.

::: Rooting Instructions :::

Download the rooting files needed from the original link provided above. They are located in the OP at that thread. There are two required files.

Place the su.zip file on your sdcard. This will be needed to flash after you do the steps below.

Rename the cwm3.1.0.1purple.tar.md5 file so the .md5 is removed.

Then boot into download mode (Shut down device, hold 1 on physical keyboard and press power)

Then place the cwm3.1.0.1.purple.tar file in the PDA slot as shown in the screen shot below.

EF02Root.jpg

Uncheck everything except Auto Reboot and press start. This will replace the stock recovery with ClockWorkMod.

Then once you reboot go ahead and shut down and boot into CWM (Vol down+Camera+Power). Flash the su.zip file you downloaded for root access. This will provide the Superuser application and root access to your device...

[WARN]Now remember this is still a ODEX system, so you won't be able to flash any EE03 themes because that is based on a deodexed setup. Give them a few hours I'm sure the devs are already at work on deodexing this setup.
[/WARN]

All credit goes to xda developers and its talented devs for coming through on this so fast... Thanks guys!

[/INFO]

Last edited:

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
A few notes..

This isn't rooted at this moment.

Screen off animation doesn't function, Ragnarokx thinks this is only a ASOP feature so we will have to wait for root and add the screen off animation app like on ED12/EE03.

It could be me but I think the screen rotation lag is back, getting about a 2-3 second lag on landscape to portrait mode switching... This was working in EE03 so I'm not sure what happened there...

Looks like any of the visual bugs have been fixed.. One I always noticed in EE03 was in the About Phone section under battery usage the top of the screen was all choppy... Now thats gone.

Sprint Navigation has been replaced with TeleNav

Swype (Swype 3) has the Gingerbread word prediction above the keyboard.

Last edited:

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
This new EF02 build seems a bit faster. Main thing that I noticed is that I now get 4 bars in my office, instead of 2 like EC05 and EE03 got me. Will be in a 4G area this weekend (according to Sprints coverage map) so will post back about speeds and 4G stability later on. The 3g (1xRTT) is even moving along a little faster than it was before.

BIG CEEZEEWEZZIE

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Just thought I would pass this along...

Its a direct leak from Samsungs firmware servers.

Use Odin to flash the tar file once you have it downloaded. I believe its complete stock and un rooted so probably expect a rooted version later today sometime from some devs at XDA...

Source Link: Samfirmware EF02.tar download! ( credit XDA developers )

Hey Paul627 have you tried it yet? does it correct the 3g problem???

oldpueblo

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
My brother owns an Epic and I'm wondering how far along these GB leaks are? Are you guys still asking "what works" or are we well past that and into the "what's left that doesn't work" stage? Is this a glass almost full situation and a daily driver by now?

whippingboy

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Why run a leaked build unless you enjoy flashing often though. "daily driver" is a broad term.

I'm hopeful once they have a leak that works- the official isn't far off. DK28 to official Froyo was ridiculous wait wise. I'd love to flash this, but I'm waiting for no CIQ, EXT4, bloat gone, confirmation that AD2P bluetooth and car kits work before I get my hands dirty again...

oldpueblo

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Some leaks are like 99% stable, that's more where I'm going with the question. Is it going to be trouble daily or almost everything works almost all of the time. We're both in a small town right now and I'm roaming just fine with Sprint and he isn't at all voice or data, so I'm guessing it's his ROM. Looking for what to switch him too.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Well for most EE03 was a very solid leaked build. So far this new EF02 leaked build is looking to be even better. It seems to have address some of the issues left behind but naturally a few other things have seemed to creep up...

Its a good build and I think could easily be used as a daily driver. Anyone running custom ROMs knows that sometimes with leaks you may have to flash often fixes/patches but that is the fun of leaks testing them out...

EXT4, were not going to see that until official release. The devs need the source to make the kernels that will support it... Bottom line...

No CIQ, I think that will come with this leaked build.. Devs are already stated they are working on development of this so that means custom ROMs with all the normal bloat and stuff done to it... I'm sure just because k0nane isn't around doesn't mean others can't follow his work and get the CIQ removal done. I'm sure that will be worked on, possibly as we type this...

Reactions: RSPC

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Good deal qbking77. Until then I think they should have a good idea of what to do from what I posted for instructions with screenies.

dadnkid

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
thanks for the help. im running on the 2.3.3. installed the su.zip file and on the ef10. thanks again....So now what can i do??? lol

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
thanks for the help. im running on the 2.3.3. installed the su.zip file and on the ef10. thanks again....So now what can i do??? lol

Well you can use programs like Root Explorer or any other root level access file explorer to go in and delete/remove bloat if you like from /system/app/ . There will be example.. .

Browser.apk
Browser.odex

Seeing how this is still an odex system you have both the normal .apk that we are used to seeing in ROMs and also the .odex part of the file. Both can be deleted to remove bloatware.

You have use of any Root access programs like wireless tethering, backup apps, screen shot apps. As far as flashing any themes previously used on EE03 we can't at the moment with this current version we flashed because it isn't deodexed. So we are limited in what we can do to modify things at this point.