Aftermarket Battery problems with EF02

Necrotek

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
I'm having some trouble with my epic 4g.

I installed and rooted EF02 saturday night. I was using a 3rd party battery, as I've been doing since I got the phone. The power ran down, and I swapped batteries partway through the night. The phone was running PERFECTLY until some time around 7 am.

Then, it shut down.

It was plugged in. it was charging. Then it wasn't. Suddenly, it wouldn't start. It wouldn't charge. It wouldn't boot or vibrate or power on. I couldn't get it into recovery or download mode. i tried each of my 3rd party batteries, to no avail. I drive myself to a sprint store, as soon as they open on sunday morning. There are five customers in line ahead of me, and two servicemen. I settle in for a LONG wait, with my trusty Nokia N810 acting as a backup ereader.

I get bored. I test out ONE more battery, and VOILA! it runs again.

The phone boots, charges, and yay! it works. Sadly, i pull the battery again, and have to fight once more to get it to accept my high capacity generic seidio. It works...for a time... until Monday. It dies, and will not ressurect. Again, I try to get it to boot into recovery, and no dice. Again, i try to get it to download mode. No dice.

I go to a sprint store, and ask for them to check for a dead phone. They swap batteries, putting a "defective" but OEM Samsung battery into my phone. it boots, almost immediately. I shell out for a new standard battery (my original one lost somewhere in my desk at home, having started to show wear months ago), and it seems to function fine. I attempt to swap in the now-unhelpful aftermarkets, and still they fail. I am loathe to go back to EC05, as I really like the smoother, snappier feel and the fact that netflix works now... but I work in an area that has NO signal whatsoever. I have a feeling this stock battery is going to die a painful death thanks to my craptastic work conditions.

Is my phone slightly broken in the charging circuit? the Red light no longer shines when charging.
Did samsung actually include aftermarket-breaking code in this build?
should I just re-install the software, or revert back to stock to test this theory?

Any data you could give me would be helpful. Suggestions, theories, etc are appreciated.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cyari6908