Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Universal car mount for use with TPU (or other) case?

    It's been tough giving up a perfect fitting car mount like I've used in the past for my Evo 4G, iPhone 3G, and even the old Samsung Blackjack I and II. But I've decided I don't want my E4GT to end up as battered as my Evo 4G and so the only alternative is to use a case (I use a TPU case) and a universal car mount.

    I would prefer to use a universal mount that is as minimalist/low-profile as possible (no gigantic arm/brackets on the sides or shelf on the bottom, etc.) but I haven't found anything that seems to be a nice fit yet. I checked out a few mounts on ebay that look pretty decent, but I'm not sure if they'll fit well, or at all. I can't post the links (my work computer blocks ebay) but they can be found by searching for:

    "mountek car mount 4 htc evo shift 4g auto cd dash stand" (this one has an odd CD-tray mounting mechanism)

    "car windscreen mount holder for samsung galaxy s2 i9100"

    "black macally mcup universal cup holder phone car mount for cell phones" (this is the one I like the most but not sure if it would accomodate the girth of the E4GT and the seller doesn't seem to be accepting inquiries)

    Any suggestions would be great, thanks!
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

    Default Re: Universal car mount for use with TPU (or other) case?

    Well, I ended up buying this one off of ebay tonight... we'll see how it fits/works!

    eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices
  3. #3  
    sko580's Avatar

    Posts
    121 Posts
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts

    Default Re: Universal car mount for use with TPU (or other) case?

    i have the Mountek and works great for me. I don't mind sacrificing the cd slot as i no longer use it. All my music is from pandora via Bluetooth streaming. It worked great on my Evo and now the Epic Touch.

    When i went away on assignment, the mount came in handy as the phone was my GPS. Setup is easy and minimal. Can be easily removed from the rental vehicle.

    The only issue i had is getting a phone with its side buttons not getting in the way of the clamps. When I did have the Photon, the clamps were pressing onto the button. In the case of the Epic Touch, it clears it.
  4. #4  
    bmrisko's Avatar

    Posts
    14 Posts
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts

    Default Re: Universal car mount for use with TPU (or other) case?

    I have to give props to the Mountek as well.
  5. #5  
    vader4633's Avatar

    Posts
    271 Posts
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

    Default Re: Universal car mount for use with TPU (or other) case?

    I ordered one of these off ebay and it should be here this week from a post over at xda.

    xda-developers - View Single Post - Windshield Mount?
    lbnyrob likes this.
  6. #6  
    Doyer's Avatar

    Posts
    74 Posts
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts

    Default Re: Universal car mount for use with TPU (or other) case?

  7. #7  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sko580 View Post
    i have the Mountek and works great for me. I don't mind sacrificing the cd slot as i no longer use it. All my music is from pandora via Bluetooth streaming. It worked great on my Evo and now the Epic Touch.

    When i went away on assignment, the mount came in handy as the phone was my GPS. Setup is easy and minimal. Can be easily removed from the rental vehicle.

    The only issue i had is getting a phone with its side buttons not getting in the way of the clamps. When I did have the Photon, the clamps were pressing onto the button. In the case of the Epic Touch, it clears it.
    Mounteks website has a picture of the unit that appears to have the unit mounted in a cassette player but the site doesn't say anything about that. It looks like the cd tray piece is removable allowing it to fit in cassette players also. The semi truck in drive only has a cassette.
  8. #8  

    Default

    Bump. Tool a closer look at the pics on my pc. It's for cd players only. Nice looking unit though
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Universal car mount for use with TPU (or other) case?

    Quote Originally Posted by vader4633 View Post
    I ordered one of these off ebay and it should be here this week from a post over at xda.

    xda-developers - View Single Post - Windshield Mount?
    Thanks for the link vader4633! I ordered the Nuvi 200 mount (the stick on version), and the fit is perfect for the phone with TPU case. Almost as if it were made for it!

    Attachment 15939
    Attachment 15940
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Universal car mount for use with TPU (or other) case?

    Quote Originally Posted by cosmoworks View Post
    Thanks for the link vader4633! I ordered the Nuvi 200 mount (the stick on version), and the fit is perfect for the phone with TPU case. Almost as if it were made for it!

    Attachment 15939
    Attachment 15940
    Great Photos. I bought one after checking yours out (the suction cup version). One thing I'm wondering though. How did you get your homescreen to look like that (the clock and the quick links on the bottom). Are you using a custom rom?
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Universal car mount for use with TPU (or other) case?

    Quote Originally Posted by defyantx07 View Post
    Great Photos. I bought one after checking yours out (the suction cup version). One thing I'm wondering though. How did you get your homescreen to look like that (the clock and the quick links on the bottom). Are you using a custom rom?
    Stock rom - I'm just using Launcher Pro with the dreamlyfe theme and simi clock widget. Details here.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Universal car mount for use with TPU (or other) case?

    I have used this adjustable mount from Proclips with both a Blackberry and EVO 4G (with and without its Barely There case). It is on the pricey side, but super low profile and will fit whatever your next phone is too.

    (Note - you have to order both a device mount and a car mount specific to your vehicle)

    Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (Sprint) - Adjustable Holder with Tilt Swivel-ProClip Car Mounts for Mobile Phones, GPS, and Handheld Devices
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Universal car mount for use with TPU (or other) case?

    Quote Originally Posted by cosmoworks View Post
    Thanks for the link vader4633! I ordered the Nuvi 200 mount (the stick on version), and the fit is perfect for the phone with TPU case. Almost as if it were made for it!

    Attachment 15939
    Attachment 15940
    YES!!! Thanks for the pics. The fit is perfect. I use the Garmin friction mount in both my vehicles so I guess now I have to buy 2 more for the phone.
  14. #14  
    Coop1979's Avatar

    Posts
    81 Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

    Default Re: Universal car mount for use with TPU (or other) case?

  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

    Default Re: Universal car mount for use with TPU (or other) case?

    Quote Originally Posted by cosmoworks View Post
    Thanks for the link vader4633! I ordered the Nuvi 200 mount (the stick on version), and the fit is perfect for the phone with TPU case.
    Wow... what a great fit. Thanks for the nice pics. Does the cradle pinch the TPU case at all (if it does, it could cause the TPU case to get deformed over time possibly)?

    In any case, you mentioned a 'stick on version' -- is it this one on ebay (unfortunately, only from Hong Kong)?

    for Garmin nuvi 250w 260w 255w 200w car dashboard mount | eBay
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Universal car mount for use with TPU (or other) case?

    Are you using this with the tpu case? It looks like its of high quality.
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Universal car mount for use with TPU (or other) case?

    Quote Originally Posted by h4ldol View Post
    Wow... what a great fit. Thanks for the nice pics. Does the cradle pinch the TPU case at all (if it does, it could cause the TPU case to get deformed over time possibly)?

    In any case, you mentioned a 'stick on version' -- is it this one on ebay (unfortunately, only from Hong Kong)?

    for Garmin nuvi 250w 260w 255w 200w car dashboard mount | eBay

    No, there's no pinching or distortion - it's almost as if it were made to hold the phone with the TPU case. I've also have a universal mount, but this one is MUCH easier to use with the E4GT + TPU.

    I've found the stick on ones for a few bucks cheaper, but I wanted it fast, so I paid a little more for a stateside seller:
    IG-PSTARA+BKT200 Sticky mount & Bracket Garmin Nuvi 200 | eBay

    Of course there's also the friction mount version, vent mount version, cup holder version, bike handlebar version, etc.....
    Mount Garmin, Garmin Dash Mount items in nuvi 200 store on eBay!
  18. #18  
    vader4633's Avatar

    Posts
    271 Posts
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

    Default Re: Universal car mount for use with TPU (or other) case?

    I also bought the Sprint case and holster and it fits in the Nuvi 200 mount as well.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

    Default Re: Universal car mount for use with TPU (or other) case?

    Quote Originally Posted by cosmoworks View Post
    No, there's no pinching or distortion - it's almost as if it were made to hold the phone with the TPU case. I've also have a universal mount, but this one is MUCH easier to use with the E4GT + TPU.

    I've found the stick on ones for a few bucks cheaper, but I wanted it fast, so I paid a little more for a stateside seller
    Great, thanks. It looks slightly different than the Hong Kong one but better in that it doesn't stick out as much. Guess I'll see which one is better (I ordered the US one after ordering the HK one last night).

    Btw, the McNally car mount that I linked in the first post does *not* fit the E4GT. It's way too small.
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Universal car mount for use with TPU (or other) case?

    Quote Originally Posted by h4ldol View Post
    Guess I'll see which one is better (I ordered the US one after ordering the HK one last night).
    The bracket is probably the exact same thing, but as you pointed out the mount is slightly different. I like having the ball joint at the base too, so that I can shift the entire phone to where I want it.
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Universal car mount for use with TPU (or other) case?

    I tried it on the dock for my Garmin Nuvi 260w and it fit like a glove, too. I have a feeling just about any dock for a 4.3" Nuvi will work.

    Both my TPU case and my wife's purple case she bought at the Sprint Store fit well. I took it for a test drive down a gravel alley, no slippage at all. A pretty solid and cheap option. $8 bucks shipped from the US all over eBay. I'm buying another one for my wife's car.

    Good looking out, Android Central.
  22. #22  
    aaron130's Avatar

    Posts
    60 Posts
    Global Posts
    258 Global Posts

    Default Re: Universal car mount for use with TPU (or other) case?

    Hey guys, Been going NUTS looking for a car mount for my E4GT! Does that Garmin holder turn so u can have it in Portrait and Landscape? Also any problems charging it at the same time? Just wanna know cuz it looks like that is the one Im going to go with!! I also have a TPU case and I seen u guys said it fits perfect with a TPU case so thats a major plus!!
  23. #23  

    Default Re: Universal car mount for use with TPU (or other) case?

    Quote Originally Posted by WVUPharm2007
    I tried it on the dock for my Garmin Nuvi 260w and it fit like a glove, too. I have a feeling just about any dock for a 4.3" Nuvi will work.
    I think you're right. The ebay listing that I bought from shows the mount bracket as the same for models:
    200, 200W, 250, 250W, 260, 260W, 270, 205, 205W, 255, 255W, 265T, 265WT, 275T

    Quote Originally Posted by aaron130
    Hey guys, Been going NUTS looking for a car mount for my E4GT! Does that Garmin holder turn so u can have it in Portrait and Landscape? Also any problems charging it at the same time? Just wanna know cuz it looks like that is the one Im going to go with!! I also have a TPU case and I seen u guys said it fits perfect with a TPU case so thats a major plus!!
    It's a ball joint, so you can rotate and angle it to whatever position you want. The charge port isn't blocked, so there's no reason you can't plug power in while it's in the mount. In fact, I bought another one (suction cup version), to use on my desk as a desktop stand!
    aaron130 likes this.
  24. #24  

    Default Re: Universal car mount for use with TPU (or other) case?

    I ordered my Nuvi mount from eBay. Great find!
  25. #25  
    Scott500's Avatar

    Posts
    39 Posts
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock for now

    Default Re: Universal car mount for use with TPU (or other) case?

    These work perfectly. A must have car mount.

    http://www.amazon.com/SoundGate-M2-e...cUvbUpU1371615
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions