Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Peace Out Otterbox

I've decided to do away with the otterbox defender case. I want to enjoy this phone as it was meant to be enjoyed with sleek and beautiful self.

I just wanted to ask if any of you have ever dropped your phone and how it held up. I am super careful but I know it's only a matter of time.

Also, do I need to worry about the camera lense cover? I came from an evo 4g and now I'm all paranoid since it got to the point where I could no longer take pictures on that phone. This one is obviously designed much better but should I worry about scratches?

Thank you for your time.
    Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

ROM
    Stock

I've dropped my S2 several times and each time I freak out but it seems to hold up quite well. I wouldn't worry about scratching the lens it should be just fine, I haven't scratched mine yet.

Well. That's a risk you would take without the Otterbox. I enjoy my phone better with the Otterbox defender case. Plus I have the utmost piece of mind knowing my protected phone remains as is when I accidentally drop it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Android Central Forums
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

The display just looks so much cleaner without that blurry screen protector and it slides in and out of my pocket so nicely without the case. I realized I'm not gonna be selling this phone in 2 months so there is really no point in wrapping it in rubber. It takes away from what makes the thing so wonderful. A few scratches and scuffs isn't gonna hurt anything.

Quote Originally Posted by DEF3NDER View Post
    The display just looks so much cleaner without that blurry screen protector and it slides in and out of my pocket so nicely without the case. I realized I'm not gonna be selling this phone in 2 months so there is really no point in wrapping it in rubber. It takes away from what makes the thing so wonderful. A few scratches and scuffs isn't gonna hurt anything.

It sure will if you plan to exchange it on the next phone. The resale value will definitely matter with the phones screen and outer body appearance with regard to scratches, nicks.. just saying

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

ROM
    Stock for now

Default Re: Peace Out Otterbox

DEF3NDER,

As for your comment asking about the result of dropping the phone without a case, I'd like to weigh in. I, like yourself, prefer the feel of the phone without the case. Having it easily slip into a pocket is nice as well.

In terms of dropping it, I've done this several times. Once onto a gravel area, it fell out of my pocket will sitting in a chair outside (drinking beers at a NASCAR race). I mere nick on the corner of the plastic was the end result. Oh and it landed directly on the screen. Brushed the dust off and moved on. Any time I've dropped it on a carpeted floor, the battery door usually pops off (once the battery fell out) and that's about it.

I have no intention of selling this phone in 45 days (August 1 upgrade date for the GS3) and I would prefer to use it is a WiFi PMP. I'm not concerned about a little nick here or there, but i will say it has held up phenomenally well. If looking at the back of the phone, the bottom glossy black area (with the speaker) looks a little worn (I don't want to say scratched cause its not deep but that type of look). The battery cover looks like I just took it out of the box. I wouldn't recommend keeping the phone in a pocket with other things (I'm amazed at people who mix keys/wallet/phone). As for the camera lens. I don't know how or why but this phone has stayed cleaner and clearer than anything else I've had.

Jeff
    Nexus 5, Galaxy S3, Epic 4G Touch, Photon, Evo, Pre, Moto Q, Curve, PPC-6700, just to name a few
    I've been borderline addicting to getting new cell phones since 1998

As has been mentioned here already, the most likely outcome with a fall to pavement will be some scuffs and scratches. I use a very low profile simple TPU case on my phone, which adds very minimal bulk but protects against those drop related scuffs. In fact, I recently dropped my phone from the height of my seat in my SUV (pretty high - somehow I literally threw it out the door as I was getting out) to the pavement below, and the phone survived the fall unscathed. Thankfully it fell almost flat in its back, but I'm sure there would have been some scratches if the case wasn't there.

There's nothing wrong with running naked. You just have to accept the fact that if you drop it on something hard and rough like concrete that you're probably going to come away with some scratches on the plastic. If you're good with that then I say enjoy the phone as it was intended!
    Current Device: LG G2 (D800 - AT&T)

Quote Originally Posted by JayWill72 View Post
    As has been mentioned here already, the most likely outcome with a fall to pavement will be some scuffs and scratches. I use a very low profile simple TPU case on my phone, which adds very minimal bulk but protects against those drop related scuffs. In fact, I recently dropped my phone from the height of my seat in my SUV (pretty high - somehow I literally threw it out the door as I was getting out) to the pavement below, and the phone survived the fall unscathed. Thankfully it fell almost flat in its back, but I'm sure there would have been some scratches if the case wasn't there.

There's nothing wrong with running naked. You just have to accept the fact that if you drop it on something hard and rough like concrete that you're probably going to come away with some scratches on the plastic. If you're good with that then I say enjoy the phone as it was intended!
    And if you go naked..... Have some insurance!:thumbup:

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

ROM
    CM10 Alpha

No case, No Problem
    The Rogue Reindeer Strikes Again!

Global Posts
    27 Global Posts

I hate cases. Never used one and have never had a problem.

Sent from my PG86100 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    74 Global Posts

If you are going to go without a case, at least give the tpu case a try. It's cheap, and thin and at least will give you some drop protection.

Otterbox defender is definitely not for everyone but if you are in the construction business, it is almost a must. Also their customer service is top notch. I accidentally broke my belt clip and asked to buy another one since it was my fault. They said they will send me one free of charge but since they don't have a spare one, they will send me a new case plus the belt clip free of charge. I can't ask for better customer service than that. Also about the built in screen protection on the otterbox: I just put a steinhill screen protector on mine and cut out the otterbox built in screen protector. It looks much better that way.

i love the otterbox defender, but i hate the screen protector, so i just take it off. problem solved

I have a ballistic case, and love it. Sometimes I do kick it with no case, and I have dropped it on concrete. It gauged the corners real good but I was happy to find out that the outer shell looks like metal under that black coat. Good luck

Dropped mine one time and shattered the screen

I invested in the Casemate Barely There case for mine in white so I'd still have that sleek white look without any bulk at all...you truly barely notice it on at all.

One drop, LCD screen cracked in the bottom right corner.

I prefer the otterbox commuter. Not bulky, goes in pocket easily, and comes with an excellent screen protector.

I just installed a flygrip and I love it. The phone feels so much more secure in my hand now.

I've been using the Trident Aegis. I love it. Not too bulky and still shows the phones beauty on the front.

Diztronic tpu on amazon is what I use now or there was a case I bought the day the phone came out at sprint with a kickstand its really thin and light but gives you a little protection still.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I have dropped my phone many times and haven't seen any major damage. I'm not too worried if it doesn't have a case.

I've never been a fan of huge bulky cases. I work in an office and my phone occasionally slides out of my hand or pocket 2 feet from my chair to the carpet!

I do not like scratches though, and they do happen. I've always used clear full body skins, ever since early generation ipods. The more popular one is the Zagg Invisible Shield. The better (imo) option that is less expensive but has a better "feel" is the Best Skins Ever full body skin.

They're both very tough and will prevent any kind of scratches. They DO require that you follow the installation instructions to the T and are somewhat of an OCD freak to accomplish a perfect install but once it's on you'll never notice it's there.

Sent from my Samsung GS2 using Tapatalk 2