Epic 4G Touch-stone mod details [LOTS of photos]

defconix

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I would like to include a couple items I found when attempting this on my own:

1. The back of the phone sufficiently holds the entire back, board and all, without cutting the back case. It does bulge a bit, but the flexibility of the back keeps it in place.
2. When soldering the + connection to the resistor/capacitor/whatever thingy (Anyone know what this is yet?) be careful, as if you use too much solder and force, you can remove this piece.
3. The same goes for the black piece next to it. Be sure to have a steady hand and adequate tools.
4. 30AWG wire can be routed under/around the board in certain places, and through the holes for the antennae, meaning no filing/cutting.
5. If you decide to solder to the + lead directly from the USB port, use very little solder, and have a wick handy. It's a pain removing solder from between the leads without one.
6. If the resistor/capacitor/whatever thingy and the black piece to the right of it are removed, the phone will not be able to transfer data via USB (but appears to charge fine).
7. If you remove the back often, I recommend attaching the touchstone piece to the battery as opposed to the back of the phone.
8. Wiring to the battery itself, in theory, would charge the battery. However, the phone does not recognize that a charger is attached (of course).

These are in no particular order.

I'd like to thank Darren for his posts and detail. I'd also like to commend him on his skill with a soldering iron. I thought I was good, but as you can tell from the 2 missing pieces (lol), perhaps I need to start drinking decaf. I'm quite a bit more shaky than I thought I was. Darren definately has the skill (and balls) needed to undertake something like this. I simply was looking to upgrade and figured I would tinker a bit before I did so.

Thanks,
Chris

pingiscoolest

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
A little late to the party here but I just finished this mod using the extended battery inside an extended battery back cover. I didn't have to cut the battery cover and it doesn't bulge. I put the coil upside down so that the electronics would fit on the slope where the back cover returns to the main part of the phone. I attached a picture. One thing I can't figure out though it why the touchstone only works with the factory palm adapter and cable. My phone won't charge with a palm adapter and 3rd party micro usb cable, a 3rd party adapter and palm cable or even a palm adapter with a usb extension cable and a palm micro usb cable. Does anyone have any insight?

Attachments

• 20130614_102921.jpg
    20130614_102921.jpg
    638.2 KB · Views: 12

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084