[Manual PRL Update] better voice/3g! for rooted/non-rooted phones

dtr145r

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Super slow data speeds?
Poor voice coverage?
Try a custom PRL
Custom PRL files
I use 0001.PRL attached at bottom. it works best for me.

Notice: Custom Prl's will force you to roam causing mostly all data to be roaming. if you use more that 2 gigs a month this hack may not be good for you as you may get booted off their network for to much roaming.

I put together a guide on how to manually change your prl on the epic touch. This will work with rooted and non rooted devices.
For windows users only.

First you need your MSL code.

1. go to the market and install terminal emulator
2. Type ??getprop ril.MSL?? this command is case sensitive so make sure it?s typed correctly.
3. Take note of the 6 digit output number.
or
1. Call sprint and tell them you want your MSL number to do a data reset or some BS story like that. They will usually give it to you. If they don?t hang up and call back until you get someone that will.
2. Make sure you write down the number.

Now on to installing the software and drivers.

1. Download, and install the QPST application
2. Download, and install the Samsung drivers
3. Make sure USB debugging unchecked. Menu>settings>applications>development
4. On the dial pad dial ##8778# and select all. Click home
5. Plug in your device and let everything install.
6. Check the ??USB tethering?? ox under menu>settings>wireless and networks>tethering. This should install a few things needed to create a com port.
7. Open up device manager on your computer. Check to see if you have a tab called ??Ports (COM & LPT)??
8. Take note of what your com port number is. Should say ?? SAMSUNG mobile modem diagnostics serial port?? Mine was 9 yours will most likely be different.

Now let?s change your PRL

1. Open up ??QPST Configurations?? on your computer Start>All Programs> QPST> QPST Configuration.
2. Make sure you are on the ??ports? tab and click ??add new port??
3. Look for the port number that you got from device manager
4. If it?s not there uncheck ?? Show Serial and USB/QC Diagnostic ports only?? if it still doesn?t show unplug usb and restart phone and computer.
5. After you add the correct comport click ok.
6. Now highlight the com port and click ??Start Clients? on the top of QPST and open Service programming.
7 .in the screen that opens you should see the phone name FFA6550-ZRF6500, the phone number should be wrong but that?s ok. Select it and click ok.
8. Click the ??Roam?? tab and browse for the .PRL file you wish to load to your phone
9. Click write to phone. QPST will now ask you for the ??service programming code?? this is where you type the MSL code
10. Your phone will automatically reboot and you should be on the PRL you flashed.
11. To check menu>settings>about phone> status check the PRL version. it should match the prl number that you flashed.
12. download Netmonitor from the market this will tell you the carrier you are roaming on, in my case its sprint, and the network type, mine is EvDo rev.A! :-D

If this post helped you please hit the Thanks button

huge thanks to
Leviuqse
, Techknowfile and oostah for their hard work!

Last edited:

error4o4

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Re: [Manual PRL Update] better voice, moar 3g! for rooted and non

To revert back to 60681 or etc, do we just run a software prl update via the phone?

BIGCOIN#AC

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Re: [Manual PRL Update] better voice, moar 3g! for rooted and non

Just a lil FYI. Your device does not need to be rooted to obtain the msl. Go to market and download Terminal Emulator. Open the app and follow the instructions in rooted step 2 as provided above.

2. Type ‘’getprop ril.MSL’’ this command is case sensitive so make sure it’s typed correctly.
Type it in without the quotation marks.

Linkchomp

Droid Monster
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Re: [Manual PRL Update] better voice/3g! for rooted/non-rooted ph

if the only thing it does is force roaming, you're wasting your time.

dtr145r

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site

if the only thing it does is force roaming, you're wasting your time.

it doesnt just force roaming
it forces your phone on a different network.
for me its alltel
i go from only having 1x service with sprint to EvDo service with alltel

sndplace

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

it doesnt just force roaming
it forces your phone on a different network.
for me its alltel
i go from only having 1x service with sprint to EvDo service with alltel

Interesting.... Question, If your on alltel is it considered Roaming? Even though roaming is unlimited but it really isn't. If your roaming to much then you can be charged or as some people stated in past threads, your line can be cancelled. If this isn't the case then maybe i'll try it.

dtr145r

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site

Interesting.... Question, If your on alltel is it considered Roaming? Even though roaming is unlimited but it really isn't. If your roaming to much then you can be charged or as some people stated in past threads, your line can be cancelled. If this isn't the case then maybe i'll try it.

yes its roaming.
it doesnt say its roaming on the phone because of the prl
i pretty much always use this prl and have it running on 2 phones.
i dont normally use more than 2 gigs so sprint didnt say anything yet.

Reactions: sndplace

sndplace

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

yes its roaming.
it doesnt say its roaming on the phone because of the prl
i pretty much always use this prl and have it running on 2 phones.
i dont normally use more than 2 gigs so sprint didnt say anything yet.

Cool thanks.. I get pretty good numbers where in at but i like to try things out to see how it works so I'll give it a try.

-MG-

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for your work!

I joined this forum just for your post. I just switched to Sprint and the data coverage has been terrible in my area despite them saying I should have great coverage. They like to keep saying I'm always in a bad spot for their towers. Using your work around I am now on verizon network and I will not be returning my Galaxy S2! I love the phone, but hated the sprint network locally.

Sprint should thank you (or maybe not), because without your fix I was going to return my phone in the 14 day time period I have.

Reactions: dtr145r

dtr145r

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for your work!

I joined this forum just for your post. I just switched to Sprint and the data coverage has been terrible in my area despite them saying I should have great coverage. They like to keep saying I'm always in a bad spot for their towers. Using your work around I am now on verizon network and I will not be returning my Galaxy S2! I love the phone, but hated the sprint network locally.

Sprint should thank you (or maybe not), because without your fix I was going to return my phone in the 14 day time period I have.

its nice to know my guide helped you.please make sure you switch back to the stock prl from time to time to avoid a large amount of data roaming and being booted from sprint.

if it wasnt for this hack too, i wouldnt be on sprint either. :)

Reactions: R2D2 631

-MG-

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site

its nice to know my guide helped you.please make sure you switch back to the stock prl from time to time to avoid a large amount of data roaming and being booted from sprint.

if it wasnt for this hack too, i wouldnt be on sprint either. :)

So weird thing happened today. My phone randomly restarted itself while I was using it, and when it came back I noticed it reset back to Sprint. I didn't check the PRL, but it went back by itself.

I'm going to redo it now. Should I worry about switching back if my data usage isnt more than 500GB? On AT&T this was my highest month in the last 12 months.( I am always around wifi).

bklyn

May 8, 2011
Visit site

Followed your directions and everything appeared to work fine. Signal strength increased and netmonitor said I was on verizon. However, while phone calls were loud and clear, I was unable to connect to the internet (I have phone and data roaming enabled). Had to go back to 60681 to get data.

-MG-

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site

I checked out my Sprint usage thus far. I have around 40MB used on Sprint 3G, and 177MB on 3G Roaming. This is roughly 3 weeks of usage. How am I looking? Would you still switch back to sprint a few times?

dtr145r

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site

Followed your directions and everything appeared to work fine. Signal strength increased and netmonitor said I was on verizon. However, while phone calls were loud and clear, I was unable to connect to the internet (I have phone and data roaming enabled). Had to go back to 60681 to get data.

:eek: hmm im not sure why you didnt have data. although i believe it was a setting on your phone that didnt allow the data due to roaming.

dtr145r

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site

I checked out my Sprint usage thus far. I have around 40MB used on Sprint 3G, and 177MB on 3G Roaming. This is roughly 3 weeks of usage. How am I looking? Would you still switch back to sprint a few times?

i never change mine back. still didnt get any letters.
right now im just under a gig of roaming and 150 mb's sprint.
so its your call.

R2D2 631

May 16, 2010
Visit site

my experience when roaming on verizon is that it was very slow...i heard that verizon is throttling on roaming ..no good for me...i went back on sprint

Airsofter93

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site

Question. in the steps above it ask to create a com port going under the wireless tethering option. if my phone does not have that option, how would i go about doing this

dtr145r

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site

Question. in the steps above it ask to create a com port going under the wireless tethering option. if my phone does not have that option, how would i go about doing this

if you have an epic touch you have this setting.

you can try to skip this step and see if it will still give you a port. i couldnt skip it...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz