Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 189
Like Tree8Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Smile New root method- Sfhub Automated Root

    Automated root of your existing stock ROM (w/o ODIN or ROM Flash)

    Android Central / XDA member Sfhub has saved the day for those wanting simple root leaving EXISTING kernel/initramfs/recovery/rom in tact.


    Quote:Sfhub
    Thanks Revolutionary for the exploit, Denys Vlasenko for busybox, ChainsDD for su

    This guide is for directly rooting EG30 Android for the Samsung E4GT using a 100% automated script.

    This root method uses your EXISTING kernel/initramfs/recovery/rom, so it shouldn't suffer from LOS (unless you had LOS with stock to start with)

    Nothing is flashed, so you just get your existing setup with the addition of ROOT.
    This will NOT trigger the Yellow Triangle nor will it increase your ODIN flash count.


    .
    Last edited by slingbox; 12-14-2011 at 12:06 PM.
    I LOVE MY AT&T GALAXY NOTE II
    Thanked by 8:
    ajonesma and seelions like this.
  2. #2  
    dtm_stretch's Avatar
    Awesome Possum

    Posts
    726 Posts
    ROM
    AOSP JB/CM9

    Default Re: New root method

    Quote Originally Posted by slingbox View Post
    Ive been holding back but that has changed I'm going for it on Sunday

    Definitely a good way to root. This will help retain the stock system and hopefully prevent or at least limit LOS. Do you mind updating the OP and title to give more information to those interested in rooting? I have a feeling this method will be stickied and I don't think it is necessary to recreate a new thread since you just started one.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: New root method

    Quote Originally Posted by dtm_stretch View Post
    Definitely a good way to root. This will help retain the stock system and hopefully prevent or at least limit LOS. Do you mind updating the OP and title to give more information to those interested in rooting? I have a feeling this method will be stickied and I don't think it is necessary to recreate a new thread since you just started one.
    Updated
    I LOVE MY AT&T GALAXY NOTE II
    Thanked by:
  4. #4  

    Default

    Nice! Finally an easy way for those who fear LOS to gain root. If sfhub manages to get a custom recovery in there it'll be the ultimate solution for those who want full unmolested stock.

    Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    Current Device: LG G2 (D800 - AT&T)
    Thanked by:
  5. #5  

    Default Re: New root method- [ROOT][EG30] Automated root

    Quote Originally Posted by JayWill72 View Post
    Nice! Finally an easy way for those who fear LOS to gain root. If sfhub manages to get a custom recovery in there it'll be the ultimate solution for those who want full unmolested stock.
    I added CWM5 support via chris41g's stock (not recompiled) EG30 kernel with CWM5 repacked into the initramfs. This is probably as close to stock with CWM5 as you are going to get with Samsung because, unlike other platforms, they share the same kernel for both Recovery and Android. Also there is support to put back your completely stock EG30. You can bounce back and forth between the two as much as you like.

    Theoretically you could probably run Custom Recovery out of Android rather than booting into Recovery. It would take a while to work everything out to get that working. If someone has done the work, I'll gladly integrate into the automated install script.
    [How-To] Rooting LS670ZVH
    Installed ZVH by mistake? Use simple update.zip to revert to ZVD / Froyo
    Thanked by 5:
    Slingbox and cboekhoven like this.
  6. #6  
    cboekhoven's Avatar

    Posts
    67 Posts
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    ROM
    Whatever mood strikes me

    Default Re: New root method- [ROOT][EG30] Automated root

    So glad to see sfhub has come over from the Optimus S. Loved your work over there. I am excited to see how fast this got updated with CWM. Seems like early this morning XDA was commenting on needing the integration of CWM.

    Great work sfhub!!!!
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default Re: New root method- [ROOT][EG30] Automated root

    Well I rooted and got 1st LOS ever had on this device.
    Joke.....yes a bad one but couldn't resist
    Ive owned ET since release day never had it happen hope to never does.
    I'm going to hold off a couple weeks on adding CWM into mix watching closely to make sure LOS has nothing to do with simple root.
    I LOVE MY AT&T GALAXY NOTE II
  8. #8  
    dtm_stretch's Avatar
    Awesome Possum

    Posts
    726 Posts
    ROM
    AOSP JB/CM9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by slingbox View Post
    Well I rooted and got 1st LOS ever had on this device.
    Joke.....yes a bad one but couldn't resist
    Ive owned ET since release day never had it happen hope to never does.
    I'm going to hold off a couple weeks on adding CWM into mix watching closely to make sure LOS has nothing to do with simple root.
    I am doubtful that it is cwm that causes the LOS. I only get LOS when I run kernels that aren't completely stock. Running chris41g's stock pulled I have yet to experience LOS and that has cwm built in.

    Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

    Default Re: New root method- [ROOT][EG30] Automated root

    Quote Originally Posted by dtm_stretch View Post
    I am doubtful that it is cwm that causes the LOS. I only get LOS when I run kernels that aren't completely stock. Running chris41g's stock pulled I have yet to experience LOS and that has cwm built in.

    Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    OK I'm sold time to have fun calks rom has been knocking on my door since release.

    Now to the question.
    I rooted using no SD card.
    Should I un-root then re-root with SD card installed being that CWM is going to play part?
    I LOVE MY AT&T GALAXY NOTE II
  10. #10  
    dtm_stretch's Avatar
    Awesome Possum

    Posts
    726 Posts
    ROM
    AOSP JB/CM9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by slingbox View Post
    OK I'm sold time to have fun calks rom has been knocking on my door since release.

    Now to the question.
    I rooted using no SD card.
    Should I un-root then re-root with SD card installed being that CWM is going to play part?
    You should be ok to use the internal card because cwm can use both. Just remember caulk's rom uses the lost experimental kernel and I have experienced LOS with that, just flash the stock pulled from chris41g after flashing the rom.

    Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

    Default Re: New root method- [ROOT][EG30] Automated root

    Quote Originally Posted by dtm_stretch View Post
    You should be ok to use the internal card because cwm can use both. Just remember caulk's rom uses the lost experimental kernel and I have experienced LOS with that, just flash the stock pulled from chris41g after flashing the rom.

    Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    Cool just installed cwm-chris41g package everything went smooth.
    Sorry I'm new always used SD card in EVO days to transport goodies for flash.

    I took a look in internal storage and his kernels not showing
    Do I drop calks rom & chris kernel into that storage folder?
    I LOVE MY AT&T GALAXY NOTE II
  12. #12  
    dtm_stretch's Avatar
    Awesome Possum

    Posts
    726 Posts
    ROM
    AOSP JB/CM9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by slingbox View Post
    Cool just installed cwm-chris41g package everything went smooth.
    Sorry I'm new always used SD card in EVO days to transport goodies for flash.

    I took a look in internal storage and his kernels not showing
    Do I drop calks rom & chris kernel into that storage folder?
    Yeah just drop the rom and kernel on to the internal sd card.

    Oh and when your in cwm just make sure you choose install zip from internal sdcard not the regular option that just says install zip grok sdcard because that accesses the external sdcard.
    Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by dtm_stretch; 11-12-2011 at 01:44 PM.
    Thanked by:
  13. #13  

    Default

    Yeah Calk's ROM is gonna flash your kernel Sling. You'd have to flash the stock pulled kernel over it, which is what you've been avoiding in the first place. Just wanted to make sure you knew what you would be getting yourself into.

    Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    Current Device: LG G2 (D800 - AT&T)
    Thanked by:
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

    Default Re: New root method- [ROOT][EG30] Automated root

    Quote Originally Posted by JayWill72 View Post
    Yeah Calk's ROM is gonna flash your kernel Sling. You'd have to flash the stock pulled kernel over it, which is what you've been avoiding in the first place. Just wanted to make sure you knew what you would be getting yourself into.

    Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    yeah it would be nice if he had kernel-less version like the good old EVO days.
    Anyway my toy is rooted everything feels tight. I'm thinking about going with setup your currently running.
    Is new kernel good?
    I LOVE MY AT&T GALAXY NOTE II
  15. #15  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by slingbox View Post
    yeah it would be nice if he had kernel-less version like the good old EVO days.
    Anyway my toy is rooted everything feels tight. I'm thinking about going with setup your currently running.
    Is new kernel good?
    I'm using the kernel packaged with Calk's ROM for now. I'd like een running that kernel for over a week on VIPERROM with great results. I will probably try the new Team Rogue kernel soon though.

    Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    Current Device: LG G2 (D800 - AT&T)
  16. #16  

    Default

    You know, one of beauties of this root method now that it comes with CWM, is you now have I Nandroid image of your stock system. If you get your first LOS and it bothers you enough your a Nandroid restore away from being back to full stock. Not to mention still having a zeroed Odin counter and not having to deal with the yellow triangle.

    Awesome work sfhub. Truly awesome.

    Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    Current Device: LG G2 (D800 - AT&T)
  17. #17  

    Default Re: New root method- [ROOT][EG30] Automated root

    Going to watch from the sidelines and see the full LOS report after people have ran it for a bit. Definitely gives hope though.
  18. #18  
    ihbsbA's Avatar

    Posts
    810 Posts
    Global Posts
    824 Global Posts

    Default Re: New root method- [ROOT][EG30] Automated root

    Would someone mind posting the steps for flashing via CWM? I assume they are the same no matter what you flash, just like in ODIN?

    I just don't know the details/order - I think CWM is obtained by holding the down volume and power key but I don't know what to do after that - I understand the zip files need to be downloaded to the sd card? Is that SDCARD or EXTERNAL SD CARD?

    If there's a thread with these instructions, I'd appreciate it - I've been reading for days and I'm fried.
  19. #19  
    cboekhoven's Avatar

    Posts
    67 Posts
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    ROM
    Whatever mood strikes me

    Default

    I've been rooted for a few days now and everything in terms of LoS has been fine. No LoS

    Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
  20. #20  
    dtm_stretch's Avatar
    Awesome Possum

    Posts
    726 Posts
    ROM
    AOSP JB/CM9

    Default Re: New root method- [ROOT][EG30] Automated root

    Quote Originally Posted by EVO_girl View Post
    Would someone mind posting the steps for flashing via CWM? I assume they are the same no matter what you flash, just like in ODIN?

    I just don't know the details/order - I think CWM is obtained by holding the down volume and power key but I don't know what to do after that - I understand the zip files need to be downloaded to the sd card? Is that SDCARD or EXTERNAL SD CARD?

    If there's a thread with these instructions, I'd appreciate it - I've been reading for days and I'm fried.
    For flashing via CWM.

    -To boot into the CWM recovery hold vol up + power it will show the samsung and yellow triangle screen just give it a minute or so

    -If you are on the most current CWM 5.0.2.7 then both internal and external sd cards are supported, I am pretty sure on 5.0.2.6 and lower the internal card is not supported. It is listed at the top of CWM which version you have.

    -Once in CWM use the volume keys to navigate up and down.

    -In the newest CWM power is the back button and the home button (the house shaped button on the bottom) is the enter. On 5.0.2.6 the Power button is the enter botton.

    -To flash something, after booting into CWM, navigate down to install zip from sd card. Press the home button(or power if you are on an older version)

    -In the new menu, you will see options for "install zip from sd card"(which means external) or "install from internal sd card". Just select the option you want. Then navigate to the "yes" to flash.

    - Remember to always make a nandroid back up which is in the "back up and restore menu" under "backup."

    Hope this helps.
    Thanked by 3:
  21. #21  
    Tyndall's Avatar

    Posts
    100 Posts
    Global Posts
    312 Global Posts

    Default Re: New root method- [ROOT][EG30] Automated root

    Would this enable wifi hotspot for tethering?
  22. #22  
    dtm_stretch's Avatar
    Awesome Possum

    Posts
    726 Posts
    ROM
    AOSP JB/CM9

    Default Re: New root method- [ROOT][EG30] Automated root

    Quote Originally Posted by Tyndall View Post
    Would this enable wifi hotspot for tethering?
    No you will have to install a custom rom that has the hotspot hack built into it.
  23. #23  
    bklyn's Avatar

    Posts
    54 Posts
    ROM
    Calkulin's E4GT

    Default Re: New root method- [ROOT][EG30] Automated root

    That makes two of us.
  24. #24  

    Default Re: New root method- [ROOT][EG30] Automated root

    Quote Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post
    Going to watch from the sidelines and see the full LOS report after people have ran it for a bit. Definitely gives hope though.
    I originally rooted with the first method and my phone wouldn't go a full day without losing signal and needing a reboot. This method, though, is great. I've been rooted and had my phone on for two days with no problems.

    Also, look at that awesome battery life.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New root method-  Sfhub Automated Root-sc20111115-140339.png  
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

    Default Re: New root method- [ROOT][EG30] Automated root

    I'm on day 3 still no loss and don't expect it sfhub root method is the way to go
    I LOVE MY AT&T GALAXY NOTE II
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

B