1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Just rooted... How do i tell if its successful?

I just ran the automated root. How do i know if it was succesful?? How do i get rid of the rest of the bloat ware??? Next up tethering. Thanks for any help to a noob.

Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    ROM
    Tried them all...

Quote Originally Posted by usudno View Post
    I just ran the automated root. How do i know if it was succesful?? How do i get rid of the rest of the bloat ware??? Next up tethering. Thanks for any help to a noob.
    Download root checker from the market. Then Google wireless tether apk and download it and install

Default Re: Just rooted... How do i tell if its successful?

Or just look in your App drawer and look for an App called Superuser. If it's there, you're rooted (most of the time).

Removing bloat is another ballgame. You basically have two options. 1) Remove the system apps yourself which can potentially bork your system and cause your phone to not boot if you delete the wrong file or 2) flash a custom ROM that has already removed a bunch of bloat. Personally, I do both. Many ROM developers leave things in that I don't want, so I use Titanium Backup Pro to uninstall the rest.

Here is a list of system apps that should be safe to uninstall:

For tethering, yes you can download and install wifi tether as devgru82 suggested, if you don't mind using an ad-hoc network. Or, most of the custom ROMs available at XDA have the Sprint Hotspot hack included, which allows you to use the built in Sprint Hotspot app in infrastructure mode. It's up to you on what you think is best.
    Last edited by JayWill72; 12-29-2011 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Edited cause Paul627g is right! :)

What JayWill said is true 99% of the time... If you have the SuperUser app there your normally good to go.. Occasionally something goes wrong in the rooting process and Superuser doesn't stick even with the app listed.

Only way to tell is download and open up an app requiring root access like ES File Explorer or Titanium Backup and when you open the app it will prompt you to accept root access or not... That will tell you right there if your okay. If there is something wrong with your root it will prompt that root access isn't available. Then you just have to run your rooting process over again.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

BTW this is covered in FAQ E9 of the XDA thread:

[How-To] Rooting LS670ZVH
    Installed ZVH by mistake? Use simple update.zip to revert to ZVD / Froyo
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

well its rooted... what i would like to know now... is how do you go back to stock i know the automated root can be unrooted but after files are deleted and all... does a factory reset work?

Quote Originally Posted by usudno View Post
    well its rooted... what i would like to know now... is how do you go back to stock i know the automated root can be unrooted but after files are deleted and all... does a factory reset work?
    If you want to back to stock, just choose unroot. All the root files will be uninstalled. If you installed kernel+CWM, then first install the stock kernel back before unrooting.

Now if you installed stuff on your own (custom ROMs, etc.) then you are responsible for undoing those.

A "factory reset" only resets your user data. It will work, but might not accomplish what you want.

If you want to just reset everything back to a particular stock version, look at my signature on XDA or the wiki on xda, there are one-click ODIN packages to flash everything back.
    [How-To] Rooting LS670ZVH
    Installed ZVH by mistake? Use simple update.zip to revert to ZVD / Froyo

go to app market and type in system app remover and there are plenty there to remove system apps

so now that I have rooted my galaxy note 2 sprint what are some great things I can do ????? email