1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    Stock

Default Safe to OTA while rooted?

Running E4GT with LostKernelExp+ and Calkulin's Rom v1.1. I have the annoying notification to update. Is it safe to fun the OTA or do I need to do something before I do?

Default Re: Safe to OTA while rooted?

No. You will not be able to install the update with your existing setup. You'll either have to Odin the full stock EK02 system in order to take the OTA update, or manually flash the latest Calkulin ROM (which is already EL29 based by the way via a leak from a couple weeks back) and the EL29 modem.

Global Posts
    6,754 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Upgrade to Calkulin's latest (2.8.1) and you'll be good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by srkmagnus View Post
    Just add you'd also have to manually flash the modem as well, although I've had better results with the EL26 modem for whatever reason. You can use any modem version with any ROM/Kernel base so it's not a bad idea to try them all and see which one works best for you.

Quote Originally Posted by JayWill72 View Post
    No. You will not be able to install the update with your existing setup. You'll either have to Odin the full stock EK02 system in order to take the OTA update, or manually flash the latest Calkulin ROM (which is already EL29 based by the way via a leak from a couple weeks back) and the EL29 modem.
    What if you're running stock and no custom roms? It should be ok right?
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

ROM
    Stock

Thanks for the info guys! I was doing some more searching around and found the Cyanogenmod 7.2 (Alpha). Ended up switching to that. So far, it's awesome. The only thing not working is the 4g according the devs. Having a Wifi issue too. Besides for that, it runs awesome. Ran a 4945 on Quadrant.

ROM
    Zedomax OC 1.6 Ghz

Make sure you reboot a couple times after flashing, the wi-fi problem should go away.
    Thanked by:
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by garrettfarnum View Post
    Make sure you reboot a couple times after flashing, the wi-fi problem should go away.
    Rebooted like 10 times, no luck.

Quote Originally Posted by shaqfearsyao View Post
    What if you're running stock and no custom roms? It should be ok right?
    If you're rooted, as long as you're running the stock EK02 ROM, kernel, modem and recovery then you can take the OTA update. If you installed CWM custom recovery when you rooted, then you'd have to remove it first.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    Current Device: LG G2 (D800 - AT&T)

Quote Originally Posted by srkmagnus View Post
    I know this probably sounds stupid, but I'm running calk 2.0.1 and was wondering how exactly do we "upgrade"? Is it an actual upgrade process or just basically flashing a new rom and thus wiping all your data again?

Sorry and thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chosenhobo View Post
    I know this probably sounds stupid, but I'm running calk 2.0.1 and was wondering how exactly do we "upgrade"? Is it an actual upgrade process or just basically flashing a new rom and thus wiping all your data again?
    The "upgrade" consists of 3 main components, Modem, Kernel, ROM.

Many times the kernel and rom will get upgraded with a new version of the ROM.

Usually they won't include the modem. The modems are usually available in both ODIN and CWM formats, so you can flash using whichever method you prefer.

If you are talking about "official" upgrades, they get shipped Over-the-Air (OTA) in patch format, so they depend on you previous software version being exactly the way they expect. If you make any modifications, usually the OTA will fail. So basically if you have a custom ROM, expect the OTA to fail. You'll get the upgrade some other way, or you can revert to stock and accept the OTA. I would suggest the former as it is the safer option for your needs.
    [How-To] Rooting LS670ZVH
    Installed ZVH by mistake? Use simple update.zip to revert to ZVD / Froyo

But I mean like i want to update my calk 2.0.1 to calk 2.8, do I flash the 2.8 like a new rom, and does it matter that I'm EK02? Sorry it's hard for me to really phrase what I'm trying to ask

Quote Originally Posted by chosenhobo View Post
    But I mean like i want to update my calk 2.0.1 to calk 2.8, do I flash the 2.8 like a new rom, and does it matter that I'm EK02? Sorry it's hard for me to really phrase what I'm trying to ask
    You can do that to get the new Kernel/ROM.

However you should flash the modem separately in CWM as it isn't included there.

I'm trying to explain why things are the way they are so you can answer the question for yourself, but you are looking for a yes/no answer.
    [How-To] Rooting LS670ZVH
    Installed ZVH by mistake? Use simple update.zip to revert to ZVD / Froyo
    Thanked by:
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

ROM
    Stock

every time that I did an upgrade, all I needed to do was a reflash. It always worked without wiping. I would think worst case is that if it didn't work, you could just wipe and reflash anyway.
    Thanked by: