Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    briandearing's Avatar

    Posts
    44 Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Best kernel to use with Calkulin v2.8.1?

    I came back to Calkulin after having issues with Cyanogen 7.2 alpha. I was using lostkernel before with Calkulin 1.1. After going to 2.8.1, I can no longer overclock with the kernel that came with it. I wanted to get some opinions as to what is the best kernel out? Thanks!
  2. #2  
    dtm_stretch's Avatar
    Awesome Possum

    Posts
    726 Posts
    ROM
    AOSP JB/CM9

    Default Re: Best kernel to use with Calkulin v2.8.1?

    You can use team rogue's desperado kernel with that rom. It is based on EK02 but will still work. They are in the beta testing of there new kernel right now and the new one should be up in a day or so.
  3. #3  
    GTB
    GTB is offline
    GTB's Avatar

    Posts
    6 Posts
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    ROM
    NA...Yet

    Default

    I've been using Calkulins 2.81 build for a while. Instead of installing a different kernel, use Tegrak overclocking (paid version) from the Market. Be careful...some individuals will OC to 1.4, .5 or even 1.6GHz. I've had mine overclocked at 1.4 for over a week and all runs smoothly. If you noticed in Calkulins 2.81 update notes/changes, you'll see where he mentions Tegrak. Hope that helps.

    ~From my E4GT thru Tapatalk
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  
    briandearing's Avatar

    Posts
    44 Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Best kernel to use with Calkulin v2.8.1?

    I was OC to 1.6 (when running performance scaling) and had no issues on 1.1 with lostkernel using cpu master. For whatever reason, it will only let me go to 1.2 max now.
  5. #5  
    GTB
    GTB is offline
    GTB's Avatar

    Posts
    6 Posts
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    ROM
    NA...Yet

    Default

    Maybe I misunderstood something. On my Sprint Samsung Epic 4G Touch, this is what I have under the hood... Calkulin's_Stock_Rooted_De-odex'd_EL29_ROM_v1.0, then added Calkulin's_E4GT_Bare_ROM_v2.8.1 and update-modem-EL29-FULL-CWM (all flashed thru CWM). As I mentioned, I'm using Tegrak OC. Sometimes I use SetCPU when the developer specifically mentions that app.

    ~From my E4GT thru Tapatalk
  6. #6  
    srkmagnus's Avatar

    Posts
    6,772 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,777 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

    Default Re: Best kernel to use with Calkulin v2.8.1?

    Steady Hawkin updated his Kernal and is now based on the recent Kernal source and 2.6.35.14 leak. I installed last night and so far everything is working great.

    Be sure to Nandroid before flashing. No need to wipe anything since the update script already does it.

    Thanked by:
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  
    briandearing's Avatar

    Posts
    44 Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Best kernel to use with Calkulin v2.8.1?

    Quote Originally Posted by MrEpic View Post
    Maybe I misunderstood something. On my Sprint Samsung Epic 4G Touch, this is what I have under the hood... Calkulin's_Stock_Rooted_De-odex'd_EL29_ROM_v1.0, then added Calkulin's_E4GT_Bare_ROM_v2.8.1 and update-modem-EL29-FULL-CWM (all flashed thru CWM). As I mentioned, I'm using Tegrak OC. Sometimes I use SetCPU when the developer specifically mentions that app.

    ~From my E4GT thru Tapatalk
    On mine, I'm using Calkulin's E4GT ROM v2.8.1 and that's it. Before, I was using Calkulin's E4GT ROM v1.1 then added the lostexp+ kernel. To over clock, I was using CPU Master. I tried switching to Tegrak with the new setup, but that still wouldn't let me overclock to 1.6 on Calkulin's v2.8.1. I was able to overclock on v1.1, but not on v2.8.1.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Best kernel to use with Calkulin v2.8.1?

    Quote Originally Posted by briandearing View Post
    On mine, I'm using Calkulin's E4GT ROM v2.8.1 and that's it. Before, I was using Calkulin's E4GT ROM v1.1 then added the lostexp+ kernel. To over clock, I was using CPU Master. I tried switching to Tegrak with the new setup, but that still wouldn't let me overclock to 1.6 on Calkulin's v2.8.1. I was able to overclock on v1.1, but not on v2.8.1.
    Tegrak's max CPU step is 1.452ghz and is meant to be run with a stock kernel.

    The ability to use higher CPU frequencies is set by the kernel, not the ROM. Since Calkulin's current ROM version is packaged with the stock EL29 kernel, the max CPU step is 1.2, which can be pushed a bit higher by Tegrak. You were able to overclock higher before with CPU Master because you were running the LoStKernel.

    Flash the new custom Rogue kernel "Gunslinger" linked above which is based off the EL29 source code that was recently published, and you'll be able to use your old CPU app and hit 1.6 again.

    Although, I wonder why you feel the need to overclock at all. I underclock my CPU to 1000 and undervolt each CPU step from 200 to 1000 by 75mV and the phone still cuts through everything with no lag or slow downs. The benefit obviously is superior battery life with equal performance.

    But to each his own.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  
    briandearing's Avatar

    Posts
    44 Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Best kernel to use with Calkulin v2.8.1?

    Quote Originally Posted by JayWill72 View Post
    Tegrak's max CPU step is 1.452ghz and is meant to be run with a stock kernel.

    The ability to use higher CPU frequencies is set by the kernel, not the ROM. Since Calkulin's current ROM version is packaged with the stock EL29 kernel, the max CPU step is 1.2, which can be pushed a bit higher by Tegrak. You were able to overclock higher before with CPU Master because you were running the LoStKernel.

    Flash the new custom Rogue kernel "Gunslinger" linked above which is based off the EL29 source code that was recently published, and you'll be able to use your old CPU app and hit 1.6 again.

    Although, I wonder why you feel the need to overclock at all. I underclock my CPU to 1000 and undervolt each CPU step from 200 to 1000 by 75mV and the phone still cuts through everything with no lag or slow downs. The benefit obviously is superior battery life with equal performance.

    But to each his own.
    This is what brought me to ask the question, "what is the best kernel". I usually run at 1.0 myself when I'm at work and don't have a charger. To be honest, I just want to break 5000 on quadrant

    I got to 4945 with the cpu set at 1.6 lol. SO CLOSE!!!
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  
    briandearing's Avatar

    Posts
    44 Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Best kernel to use with Calkulin v2.8.1?

    Quote Originally Posted by srkmagnus View Post
    Steady Hawkin updated his Kernal and is now based on the recent Kernal source and 2.6.35.14 leak. I installed last night and so far everything is working great.

    Be sure to Nandroid before flashing. No need to wipe anything since the update script already does it.

    I tried flashing the kernel using odin and it said that it has an invalid hash.
  11. #11  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by briandearing View Post
    I tried flashing the kernel using odin and it said that it has an invalid hash.
    I would download the ZIP and flash it in CWM. I try to use Odin as little as possible if I can help it.

    Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    Current Device: LG G2 (D800 - AT&T)
    Thanked by:
  12. #12  
    srkmagnus's Avatar

    Posts
    6,772 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,777 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

    Default Re: Best kernel to use with Calkulin v2.8.1?

    Quote Originally Posted by briandearing View Post
    I tried flashing the kernel using odin and it said that it has an invalid hash.
    What @JayWill72 said. I used ODIN once to install Clockwork Recovery and haven't used it since.
  13. #13  
    dweeze87's Avatar

    Posts
    24 Posts
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    ROM
    CNA 3.5/Franco M5

    Default Re: Best kernel to use with Calkulin v2.8.1?

    The Rogue 1.3 Kernel is the best kernel to run right now which keeps the Android OS very low on Caulks Roms. Keeps it down to about 4 and 5%.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Best kernel to use with Calkulin v2.8.1?

    Quote Originally Posted by dweeze87 View Post
    The Rogue 1.3 Kernel is the best kernel to run right now which keeps the Android OS very low on Caulks Roms. Keeps it down to about 4 and 5%.
    This is a visual thing caused by the kernel base. His kernel in no way changes Android OS resource consumption, it only masks its use in reporting. Here is a quote from Entropy in the Rogue custom kernel thread, directed at Steady Hawking regarding his kernel. It's safe to say Entropy knows a thing or two about SGS2 kernels ...

    Also, be careful about rebasing to .14 - it provides no conclusive known benefits and masks (but does not fix in ANY way) the infamous "AOS bug", making it harder to diagnose when it happens.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  
    briandearing's Avatar

    Posts
    44 Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Best kernel to use with Calkulin v2.8.1?

    I broke the 5k mark on quadrant. reached all the way to 5300s using the rogue kernel. I also got one of those cheap extended batteries on ebay. To my suprise, I was able to reach almost 10 hours of CONSTANT use (with the exception of about 45 mins when I was on break). This was achieved while over clocked to 1.6, but with the screen brightness all the way down and using Wi-Fi.
  16. #16  
    matt8107t's Avatar

    Posts
    27 Posts
    ROM
    Stock rooted ICS fc05

    Default Re: Best kernel to use with Calkulin v2.8.1?

    I'm running calkulins 2.8.1 with the gunslinger kernel been using it for 3 weeks now not a single problem oberclocked to 1.6 on demand first quandrant was 5778.
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Best kernel to use with Calkulin v2.8.1?

    Try this. Go to xda and try caulkins new rom update for that rom. E4gt 2 v3.1! Comes with its own kernel and no yellow triangle. Plus the sprint wifi hotspot works
  18. #18  

    Default

    I always ran Gunslinger with Calks 2.8.1. I used setcpu and set profiles... My phone would burn 10% every 6 hours asleep with radios off. Which is how I had it when I wasn't using it. The only difference between Gunslinger 1.4.0 and 1.4.1 is. v1.4.1 has support for Voodoo louder... This was always my favorite gb setup. Lots of options for themes too!!
  19. #19  
    srkmagnus's Avatar

    Posts
    6,772 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,777 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

    Default Re: Best kernel to use with Calkulin v2.8.1?

    I reverted back to GB and Calk's current ROM because of the smoothness it offers. Once ICS Kernal sources are released for our device I'll be back on CM9.

Posting Permissions

B