Getting Galaxy S II Epic 4G this week ANY reason NOT 2 ROOT?

Feb 13, 2012
Visit site
So I'm getting the phone either tomorrow or whenever the brown truck drops it off and was wondering if there would be anything I would lose by rooting this phone? Im perfectly capable of rooting and dont need instructions ..... just was wondering if anyone saw anything in Stock Roms that i would like to try before i Rooted it and lost it.... Thanks in advance

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Nope, no reason not to. You only gain and don't lose anything. There are a bunch of Touchwiz based ROMs over at XDA, with Calkulin's and Blazer probably being the most popular. I've run 5 different ROMs on this phone, and before this weekend I had been on UnNamed longer than any other ROM (a bit over a month heh). But I decided to give TNz Blend a try and I really, REALLY like it. Did I say really? It's got all the good stuff baked in, and is smooth and stable. There's also a huge selection of themes for it, as one of the ROM developers also likes porting and creating themes.

AOSP ROM choices are limited, but there are functional CM7 and MIUI kangs available. Also, the next batch of phones the Cyanogenmod guys will be working on for CM9 are those that have Samsung Exynos processors, so our phone should be seeing CM9 at some point not too far off.

Lastly, I'll have a post up about it in a minute, but we may see a Touchwiz ICS ROM build from Samsung leaked soon.

Anyhoo, root up and enjoy!

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Ive never rooted b4 what r the big advantages of rooting?

Everyone has different personal reasons for rooting their phone, but everyone does it for the same basic objective ... gain something that the manufacturer and/or carrier has chosen not to include in the stock firmware. Here are MY reasons in no particular order:

- To be able to theme various elements of the ROM that more suits my liking, including areas like the status bar icons (like battery % label), dialer, notification pulldown, and toggles.
- To be able to create a backup image of my entire system via Nandroid or backup, freeze and restore both user and system apps via Titanium Backup
- To underclock and undervolt my CPU for better battery performance
- To remove unwanted system applications, especially ones I never use but always run in the background (like Accuweather for example)
- For various tweaks that improve performance
- To change my bootanimation and sound to one I like better (why do I want to see a Sprint 4G boot animation when I don't even have 4G where I live?)
- So my camera App has no shutter sound or focus beeps, and so that it works while on a call and below a certain battery level
- So the phone doesn't give me that annoying beep when it's done charging at 3am, or when I plug it in
- So annoying ads are blocked from Apps that include them

There are other little benefits but these are off the top of my head. Notice I left free wifi tethering out. Sure I have it but it's not why I root. Although it's probably the reason most people do.

androidpirate

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Don't you lose warranty?

Nope, no reason not to. You only gain and don't lose anything. There are a bunch of Touchwiz based ROMs over at XDA, with Calkulin's and Blazer probably being the most popular. I've run 5 different ROMs on this phone, and before this weekend I had been on UnNamed longer than any other ROM (a bit over a month heh). But I decided to give TNz Blend a try and I really, REALLY like it. Did I say really? It's got all the good stuff baked in, and is smooth and stable. There's also a huge selection of themes for it, as one of the ROM developers also likes porting and creating themes.

AOSP ROM choices are limited, but there are functional CM7 and MIUI kangs available. Also, the next batch of phones the Cyanogenmod guys will be working on for CM9 are those that have Samsung Exynos processors, so our phone should be seeing CM9 at some point not too far off.

Lastly, I'll have a post up about it in a minute, but we may see a Touchwiz ICS ROM build from Samsung leaked soon.

tkemack

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Rooting is completely reversible and thanks to sfhub, the rooting process is extremely simple!

Sent from my Blazing ET4G

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Don't you lose warranty?

Yep. There are certainly risks in rooting. Some people simply should not do it. But to those who understand the process, the warranty thing is a non-issue. If I had to take my phone into a Sprint repair center tomorrow, I'm a quick flash away from nobody in the store being able to tell if my phone was ever rooted.

Feb 13, 2012
Visit site
Nope, no reason not to. You only gain and don't lose anything. There are a bunch of Touchwiz based ROMs over at XDA,..........

.............Lastly, I'll have a post up about it in a minute, but we may see a Touchwiz ICS ROM build from Samsung leaked soon.

Thanks Appreciate IT!! Brown truck should be here tomorrow my girl gonna be a little upset that im going to being playing with my phone as much as im playing with her..... MAYBE SAME TIME LOL

Robcy

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
I rooted the Epic 4G as quickly as possible to gain performance, and battery life. With the Epic 4G Touch I have not rooted since the performance is great, and battery life is a non issue.

I run Launcher 360, or SPB 3D shell, which change the look of the entire UI. I am not a big fan of the Touchwiz look.

2ndaccord

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
No reason at all not to root. I just did the process for the first time about a month ago. It was very easy and now I feel confident doing it again.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12