[ROOT] [E4GT] Latest Method for FI27 (ICS) Official Firmware

Rockdog97

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: [ROOT] [E4GT] Latest Method for EL29 Firmware

After flashing all three images and the last reboot, my phone is back up and running like nothing happened. In fact, I didn't see any obvious way to verify that it had been rooted at all.

Now I just have to figure out what to do with it. I'm hoping to find a way to remove some of the stock crapware (that "Media Hub" thing) and possibly install an ad-blocker, and a scheduled reboot.

Anyway, I hope this answers your questions. Good luck!

I just did the revert from ICS back to GB (EL29) and noticed that I now have a 'SuperUser' icon.. so I guess that means that i'm rooted.

Like you, now that I am rooted, what do I do with it and how to removed the bloatware that most of us want to get rid of (Media Hub, Social Hub, etc..)...

I have not installed anything other than to follow the
[ODIN][TAR] SPH-D710.EL29_CL852097 (EL29 Modem/Kernel/ROM - Full Restore - Rooted)
process to restore GB..

Any help would be most appreciated.

Phenom

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site

Is this rooting method still valid with ICS update? Did I read correctly that you can root and preserve all the user data?

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site

I just did the revert from ICS back to GB (EL29) and noticed that I now have a 'SuperUser' icon.. so I guess that means that i'm rooted.

Like you, now that I am rooted, what do I do with it and how to removed the bloatware that most of us want to get rid of (Media Hub, Social Hub, etc..)...

The best way, in my humble opinion, is by using the root only application Titanium Backup. With it, you can backup an App, then uninstall it. This way, if you decide you want it back, it's a simple button click to restore it. I believe you can backup and restore one App at a time using the free version. If you purchase the paid version, you can do batch backup and restores.

You can also download a free File Explorer that has root privileges. ES File Explorer is a good one. With it, you can navigate to your /system/app folder and delete the bloatware you don't want.

I do prefer Titanium Backup though.

Is this rooting method still valid with ICS update? Did I read correctly that you can root and preserve all the user data?

No, the current links will actually take you to rooted EL29 Gingerbread. I'm going to update the OP right now with updated links and information.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Re: [ROOT] [E4GT] Latest Method for FF18 (ICS) Firmware

The OP has been updated with the latest information.

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site

Hello. Linux user, new to this device, but not Android. Looking to get it done via Heimdall and try out Dark_Knight2's AOKP or other stable and featured ROM (also open to suggestions there).

Two questions:
1. What is the deal or problem with the infamous triangle counter? How can that be a problem? Does moving to an FF18 ROM such as AOKP trip it?

2. What version of Heimdall works best with this device and process? I see that v1.32 is the latest, but it breaks functionality with several unlisted devices.

Thanks!

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site

Hello. Linux user, new to this device, but not Android. Looking to get it done via Heimdall and try out Dark_Knight2's AOKP or other stable and featured ROM (also open to suggestions there).

Two questions:
1. What is the deal or problem with the infamous triangle counter? How can that be a problem? Does moving to an FF18 ROM such as AOKP trip it?

2. What version of Heimdall works best with this device and process? I see that v1.32 is the latest, but it breaks functionality with several unlisted devices.

Thanks!

The only process that triggers the yellow boot screen triangle and increases the Odin flash count is when you use the PC version of Odin to flash a kernel that has not been officially signed by Samsung. Flashing a stock signed kernel using PC Odin will not trigger it. Flashing ANY kernel using the app Mobile Odin also will not trigger it. I'm not sure whether or not Heimdall triggers it though.

If you're currently on the stock Samsung ICS ROM, it recommended that you flash another ICS ROM like AOKP from a Gingerbread kernel/recovery to be 100% sure you will not trigger the emmc brick bug. The EL26+CWM5 kernel/recovery is the one that's most commonly used. So, you need to use Odin to flash this unsigned kernel before you can proceed and flash AOKP. This is why most people (like me) use Mobile Odin. It's quicker, easier, and does not trigger the triangle or flash count. Mobile Odin Lite can be downloaded for free from XDA or you can buy the full version from the Play Store.

If you do trigger either, you can either use the app Triangle Away or use a USB jig to reset the flash count to zero and get rid of the triangle.

I'm afraid I can't help regarding Heimdall. I do own a Mac, but I'm a PC guy and have never used it. sfhub's one-click root threads have some information about using Heimdall to flash.

Reactions: epidenimus

sheit

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site

I am rooted on EG30 still - can i use this? or do i have to do anything before i can flash this?

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site

I am rooted on EG30 still - can i use this? or do i have to do anything before i can flash this?

You can be on absolutely anything and run this process. So, to answer your question, no you don't have to do anything before flashing.

beetljuc

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site

JayWill72 I am on CM9 rom and want to start over again, should I ODIN back to a GB rom and then flash to a rooted stock ICS rom or can I flash back to a rooted stock ICS rom directly from CM9 using ODIN?

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site

JayWill72 I am on CM9 rom and want to start over again, should I ODIN back to a GB rom and then flash to a rooted stock ICS rom or can I flash back to a rooted stock ICS rom directly from CM9 using ODIN?

You can go anywhere you want from any current OS using Odin. GB to ICS, ICS to GB, CM9 (or any AOSP ROM) to stock ICS ... anything. If there is a full Odin TAR available for it, you can get there. So, to answer your last question, yes, you can Odin the FF18 rooted stock ICS ROM directly from CM9.

beetljuc

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site

You can go anywhere you want from any current OS using Odin. GB to ICS, ICS to GB, CM9 (or any AOSP ROM) to stock ICS ... anything. If there is a full Odin TAR available for it, you can get there. So, to answer your last question, yes, you can Odin the FF18 rooted stock ICS ROM directly from CM9.
Thanks! You guys are awesome!:)

smilzmp

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site

does anyone know how to recover files deleted from my phone. like pictures i took of a cheating wife.
also my phone came with a voice recorder application and i recorded something that my cheating wife deleted, is there anyway to recover that?

thank you any help would be much appreciated it.
chris

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site

thova

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site

I have a question......I'm a newbie to root......I have a epic 4g touch flashed to boost mobile, its running ICS 4.0.4 fron the ota download, but i want to root it to get superuser access and all the other good roms. Here my problem......odin will not work for some reason on my computer. please help!

garwynn

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site

FH13 rooted and available in one clicks as well. Figured I'd pass that on since it's now the new OTA.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site

FH13 rooted and available in one clicks as well. Figured I'd pass that on since it's now the new OTA.

I'm going to give it a little bit of time before I update the OP. I'm curious about this FH23 RDF that went up, and why Samsung posted a new one to Sprint's site so soon after a new software version went "official".

garwynn

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to give it a little bit of time before I update the OP. I'm curious about this FH23 RDF that went up, and why Samsung posted a new one to Sprint's site so soon after a new software version went "official".

My guess is that the Boost builds are coming first now and then a Sprint build shortly after.. Since it doesn't take much effort, why not?

Sent from my SPH-D710

k1llahurtz

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

Can the root method mentioned in op also be used for 4.0.3 ? I don't seem to have the option to goto 4.0.4

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bluegarland692