So I rooted My Sprint Galaxy S II... Now What???

MrBiznessman

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I recently rooted my Sprint Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch... Now what do i do??? I know i can install custom ROMS, custom software, but what are other advantages of Rooting an Android???

cjones

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
Custom ROMS are the big advantage. They give you the hacked wireless tether and more choices in how your phone runs. Try Culkin's ROM. Great battery life and nice little tweaks.

Until CM9 comes out for our phone the ROMS will not look all that different since most of them are based off the stock ROM.

Happy Flashing!

Biggnaa20

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
I love the ability to back up my apps and app data with Titanium Back up. Changing roms is really cool too when I get bored of the phone.

I haven't really used the ability to nuke bloatware, but will do that at some point to say I did. :)

nnb

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I've seen a lot of hype about a few ROMs... Cyanogen, Culkin's, and a few others... Which one would you all recommend???

Cyanogen (CM7) is an unofficial kang and has some bugs. It's also no longer being developed. It works, but it's probably not the best option for your first venture into ROMing. For Cyanogen, I would wait for official CM9 (based on ICS).

To get your feet wet, Calkulin's is a solid ROM that comes with all the bells and whistles and likely won't let you down.

ArtVandelay

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
Cyanogen (CM7) is an unofficial kang and has some bugs. It's also no longer being developed. It works, but it's probably not the best option for your first venture into ROMing. For Cyanogen, I would wait for official CM9 (based on ICS).

To get your feet wet, Calkulin's is a solid ROM that comes with all the bells and whistles and likely won't let you down.

What he said. Calkulin's ROM really opens up the phone and gives it a faster, new feel. The GO EX stuff is awesome too.

Unklekeg

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Me too! Just today... Ditto! Same Question ....

I have clockwork mod for backups and more ....

Tried easy tether ...

these were my two biggies....

I wanted to tether my 10.1 tab to my GS2 E4GT only to find I have to root my Tab 10.1 too booooooooooooooo!:mad:

MrBiznessman

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I keep reading about FB17 & FB09 Firmware versions... I currently have EL-29 installed... im trying to do the ICS 4.0.3... I'm just starting to get into all of the rooting & installing of Custom ROMs... I need help lol

dtm_stretch

Awesome Possum
Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
I keep reading about FB17 & FB09 Firmware versions... I currently have EL-29 installed... im trying to do the ICS 4.0.3... I'm just starting to get into all of the rooting & installing of Custom ROMs... I need help lol

Honestly, if you are just starting out I would hold off on flashing the ICS leaks. There are still a few bugs with them and even some of the most advanced users have bricked their phones. But if you are really determined check out xda.

Reactions: JayWill

DETERMINOLOGY

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Thats what im doing im holding off until theres a rooted version of the offical ics then ima flash the rom but im already rooted and ready to go

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Thats what im doing im holding off until theres a rooted version of the offical ics then ima flash the rom but im already rooted and ready to go

They're all rooted when the leak is posted thanks to Calkulin. However, kernel repacks that include CWM are usually behind, so they don't come with custom recovery. What I've been doing is flash the ROM and modem if necessary, then using sfhub's autoroot tool to inject a kernel with CWM. It's rather simple but you do need to understand things a bit deeper than average.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site

That's a good ROM if you like the theming. I have mijjah's stock Blend ROM on a Nandroid backup while I tinker with the ICS builds.

MrBiznessman said:
OK, So i took your suggestion & downloaded calkulins... what would you recommend next/?? and where did you get the root for your SGS2??? I See you are running ICS 4.0.3...

Sorry I'm not sure I understand your question. Where did I get the root? Yes I'm running the latest ICS leak for our phone. But as suggested earlier in this thread, I'd avoid it until more of the kinks are worked out or more importantly, you get more familiar with flashing this phone.

bobby james

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
If I root the phone and intsall Calkulin's rom, can I still update the phone when android get's updated or do I have to reset it? I'm still fairly new to Android and haven't rooted any devices yet. Also, will all the apps I've downloaded be deleted from the phone if I root?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non