1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Yellow exclamation point with Android Icon

My E4GT is rooted using Odin and the rooted stock kernel. I did this after I guess using the wrong keystrokes in rooting the phone originally. I have CWM installed but when I choose to "Reboot into Recovery" from the ROM Manager, I get the Android Mascot with a yellow exclamation point inside a white triangle. WHat am I doing wrong and how do I fix this? I'd like to flash MIUI after creating a Nandroid backup. I have TiBackup Pro installed and running. The phone boots just fine otherwise.

Thanks.

Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock

Default Re: Yellow exclamation point with Android Icon

odin back to stock and odin a new recovery with root. my suggestion: go ics with rogue recovery / kernel. cwm has given me a few issues in the past and i try staying away from it.
    Sprint employee // Product Ambassador // Device Advocate.
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

So how do I prepare my device for that? Just make sure everything is synced and then run TiBackup?
    What is the non-CWM equivalent to Nandroid backup?

Also which ROMS add features but are also faster and stable? I can't figure out which ROMs do what. Lifehacker's guide for deciding on a ROM is old and outdated(FroYo).

Thanks

Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock

yes. sync and back up prior to flashing to stock, but keep in mind whatever is borked is going to follow you to your next rom. my suggestion: go fresh with a stock rooted rom then work into several roms. i test drove MANY roms before deciding on a daily driver. it's always best to give a rom a 24 hour test drive after a full charge.
    Sprint employee // Product Ambassador // Device Advocate.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    4,501 Global Posts
    ROM
    Anthem_003

As popularbelief420 said, test drive as many ROMs as you'd like. We honestly can't say which one is best for you since everyone has different tastes. I personally like but I've been looking into trying out new ROMs since I'm addicted to customizing my phone
    "The worst foe lies within the self....."
    Get yourself some storage with Dropbox: http://db.tt/hWGiTCa

Thanked by:
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

What about that counter that everyone keeps talking about? The one that is only affected by unofficial builds? Do I have to buy that part to fix it?

Quote Originally Posted by cajunlibra View Post
    My E4GT is rooted using Odin and the rooted stock kernel. I did this after I guess using the wrong keystrokes in rooting the phone originally. I have CWM installed but when I choose to "Reboot into Recovery" from the ROM Manager, I get the Android Mascot with a yellow exclamation point inside a white triangle. WHat am I doing wrong and how do I fix this? I'd like to flash MIUI after creating a Nandroid backup. I have TiBackup Pro installed and running. The phone boots just fine otherwise.

Thanks.
    NEVER USE ROM MANAGER!!!
    OK, so these Samsung phones use kernels that have recovery built in. But ROM manager is built for normal phones where the kernel and recovery are separate. ROM manager is looking for a separate partition, and can't find your recovery. Use reboot widget or something like that from the market. Don't flash a recovery or ROM from ROM manager, you will end up bricking your phone.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:

What about that counter that everyone keeps talking about? The one that is only affected by unofficial builds? Do I have to buy that part to fix it?
    Read here. I think the general consensus is that it doesn't matter.

[ACS][DEV] Lets Get Rid of that Yellow Triangle.. Proof of Concept.. **Updated 10/28

Thanked by:
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by Bigt2003 View Post
    NEVER USE ROM MANAGER!!!
    OK, so these Samsung phones use kernels that have recovery built in. But ROM manager is built for normal phones where the kernel and recovery are separate. ROM manager is looking for a separate partition, and can't find your recovery. Use reboot widget or something like that from the market. Don't flash a recovery or ROM from ROM manager, you will end up bricking your phone.

I have it installed but I haven't used it to flash a recovery yet. Should I just remove it completely? Many, MANY sites mention it's use for backup and flashing ROMS.

I found the "Reboot Widget (Root)" in the market. Should I use that instead then?

Thanks for your help.

I have it installed but I haven't used it to flash a recovery yet. Should I just remove it completely? Many, MANY sites mention it's use for backup and flashing ROMS.

I found the "Reboot Widget (Root)" in the market. Should I use that instead then?

Thanks for your help.
    Yeah. ROM Manager is a BAD BAD idea. If you want to get into recovery without the widget, power your phone down and when it is completely shut off you press and hold Volume Up and Power buttons until your recovery loads. Also any AOSP rom should have a built in recovery reboot option. As far as the counter for unofficial binaries (roms), there's an app floating around called Triangle Away that work miracles. It was free when I got it. BTW, Mobile Odin will let you flash kernels like the EL29 direct boot Kernel without triggering the binary counter. Whatever you decide to flash make sure you use a safe recovery like TWRP, Agats or some other "safe" recovery. I prefer TWRP and there are numerous links on XDA for it. But remember that you flash at your own risk and no one else is responsible if you brick or start the apocalypse if you flash without reading and rereading the instructions. I would highly recommend removing ROM manager and start using the GOO app from the market. Backup using nandroid in a safe recovery. And any GB based rom will be safe BTW

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

Go here and get a Odin tar. Just make sure you get the right one for your Android Version whether its stock touchwiz or AOSP or whatever. As far as your ROM question goes I use AOKP Milestone 6. times_infinity or DarkNight2 both have great version and are VERY stable. I've been using it for a couple of months now, I haven't found anything that is as awesome as AOKP.

Here's the link:

[RECOVERY] TeamWin Recovery Project (TWRP) 2.2.1 for CM9 [2012-07-19]