stuck in download mode

cl36

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
my buddy rooted his epic 4g touch. he tried to flash a custom rom through odin it was stuck for about 15, so he pulled the plug. the phone is now stuck in "Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in kies & try again." But, it can still go to download mode. The big problem is that no computer would detect the phone and neither will odin.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
He was trying 4.0.3 Ice cream Sand witch, he was previously using 2.3.6 (EL29) .. :eek:

Well, that could mean a lot of things. Assuming he wasn't trying to flash one of the ICS builds meant for the International version of the SGS2 (crossing my fingers), all I can suggest is to try the usual Odin connection resolutions. Reboot the machine, re-install drivers, try a different USB port, try another cable, make sure to connect the phone AFTER loading Odin, do a battery pull and let it sit a few then put it back in and boot into download mode again, etc etc.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
The link to the ROM that he tried to flash is Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich for Galaxy S2 Download | Phones Tablet

Really appreciate your reply!

Oh boy I was afraid of that. And your friend flashed that onto the Epic 4G Touch (Sprint's Galaxy S2 variant)? If so, then I'm afraid he probably has a bonafide brick in his hands. The bootloader in that TAR is meant for an entirely different phone (the International i9100), and while you can get into download mode, nobody who also did this was able to get a computer to recognize it. And believe when I say they tried everything.

There's always a chance, but I'm fairly sure a replacement from Sprint or JTAG service are his only options at this point. For JTAG service you can look into these guys Samsung Epic 4G Touch JTAG Brick Repair - MobileTechVideos.COM I have no experience with them and cannot vouch for or recommend them, but I've heard good things. It's always nice to have a backup plan if your friend doesn't have insurance or if Sprint is resistant to a replacement.

Good luck. :(

Edit - It's worth it to keep trying get it to connect to Odin though. At least give it a shot before waving the white flag.

Last edited:

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
If that is the case then I would like to ask you that do you know anybody who have gone through Samsung Epic 4G Touch JTAG Brick Repair - MobileTechVideos.COM and have successfully debricked there phone?

Not personally no. But I've read reports of a successful experience on the XDA forums. The main guy also posts on those forums sometimes. They definitely appear to know what they're doing.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm with Jay. It looks like it's bricked in that the International Bootloader renders the USB mute.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

cl36

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
My friend took his brick to the Sprint store today. He didn't have insurance, but they replaced it anyway. They made him purchase insurance though. I'm glad it worked out for him, he was pretty bummed out. Wonder if he will try flashing anything to this one? ;)

htc-devices

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I have bricked 2 htc One V devices :( bricked the 1st got it replaced then kept the old 1 then bricked the second 1 the same day i got it :( all i did was hard reset holding volume down and power. now it is only connected as COM3 port.; nothing will flash or no adb :(

TWC_SouthPhilly

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I have bricked 2 htc One V devices :( bricked the 1st got it replaced then kept the old 1 then bricked the second 1 the same day i got it :( all i did was hard reset holding volume down and power. now it is only connected as COM3 port.; nothing will flash or no adb :(

Man that sucks!!!

Always hate to hear a story like that... But you do realize that you are posting in the Samsung S2 Epic Touch 4G forum and not an HTC One V forum right?

Sent From My Galaxy10. 1 Class Starship...

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
If that is the case then I would like to ask you that do you know anybody who have gone through Samsung Epic 4G Touch JTAG Brick Repair - MobileTechVideos.COM and have successfully debricked there phone?

I'm sure your friend ahs taken care of this by now but for what it's worth, I've used JTAG for my Galaxy Tab and they were amazing!! Not only did they unbrick my tab, they rooted it for me too and it didn't take long at all for them to send it back to me.