Should I root/install a ROM if all I want is the following

cruiserandmax

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I basically love my stock ET4G. However I miss the following features from the Reborn ROM I was running on my old Optimus S:

- ability to use wifi hotspot
- swype down menu that adds toggles for screen rotation and brightness
- no shutter sound on camera when phone volume is at zero
- 5 permenent soft buttons at screen bottom that include camera and internet

If those four things are all I want over the current stock ET4G rom, and I really enjoy the rest of general functionality and stability of my stock ROM- is there any particular ROM you would suggest I try?

Thanks for any input!

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
I wanna say both yes and no, here's why:

Can you get everything listed by rooting? Absolutely.
There are ROMs out there that give you all of that in one shot and (depending how comfortable you are with rooting) it would be the easiest way to get all that. I have everything you listed from the ICS ROM I'm running.

On the other hand, I believe there are apps out there that can give you all of that without rooting.

1. For wifi hotspot access I've seen people talk about FoxFi. I've never used it myself so I can really comment on that.

2. Pulldown menu- Actually not sure about that one either. I have it cause I'm rooted and it comes with the ROM I'm using.

3. No shutter sound- There may be some 3rd party apps out there that offer this.

4. 5 perm soft buttons- GO Launcher allows you to set the number of icons along the bottom of your screen. When I used GL I had Phone/Contacts, SMS, Gmail, Plume, and Play Store on mine.

cruiserandmax

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Can you get everything listed by rooting? Absolutely.

On the other hand, I believe there are apps out there that can give you all of that without rooting

I hadn't really considered the app route, but should probably at least look into it- good idea.

If I do go ROM, are there any ideas about which ROM is least 'modified' from stock, but still would have the features mentioned?

Reborn ROM from the Optimus is basically my model ROM..

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
I hadn't really considered the app route, but should probably at least look into it- good idea.

If I do go ROM, are there any ideas about which ROM is least 'modified' from stock, but still would have the features mentioned?

Reborn ROM from the Optimus is basically my model ROM..

From what I've seen ther eare some stock-ish ROMs but they seem to come with the TW launcher which doesn't give you the ability to change the bottom buttons so you would need to download a 3rd party launcher anyway. I use ICS ROMs so I can only speak on that. If you want ot use a GB ROM, someone else would need to chime in.

I personally use Frankenstein's FIFO2 ROM and I love it!! I comes with Apex Launcher and allows you to customize the bottom buttons any way you want. It has a drop down menu that have WiFi, BT, GPS, Silent Mode, and 4G. The camera shutter sound is off and I use WiFi tether from time to time. Some ROMs have differnet toggles and would list them on their threads.

pdog197804

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I am also on this rom and it is great.... the only thing I didn't like about it is that some how it doesn't have gtalk... unless it was an add on I missed... anyway cm9 alpha 5 is also pretty sweet!!!!!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

pdog197804

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
From what I've seen ther eare some stock-ish ROMs but they seem to come with the TW launcher which doesn't give you the ability to change the bottom buttons so you would need to download a 3rd party launcher anyway. I use ICS ROMs so I can only speak on that. If you want ot use a GB ROM, someone else would need to chime in.

I personally use Frankenstein's FIFO2 ROM and I love it!! I comes with Apex Launcher and allows you to customize the bottom buttons any way you want. It has a drop down menu that have WiFi, BT, GPS, Silent Mode, and 4G. The camera shutter sound is off and I use WiFi tether from time to time. Some ROMs have differnet toggles and would list them on their threads.

Hey Vdub, if I want to add more add ons to this rom after I've been on it for a while , can I just flash el 26 via mobile Odin then wipe cache wipe delvic cache then flash the add on then the FF02 kernal.... or do I have to do factory reset also... I want to add some more but love my set up so I don't want to do it if I have to factory reset... to much work right now for me... :)

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Hey Vdub, if I want to add more add ons to this rom after I've been on it for a while , can I just flash el 26 via mobile Odin then wipe cache wipe delvic cache then flash the add on then the FF02 kernal.... or do I have to do factory reset also... I want to add some more but love my set up so I don't want to do it if I have to factory reset... to much work right now for me... :)

Do exactly what you just said to flash the add-ons and you'll be good to go :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12