Never rooted and have some questions.

GiantJay

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
I have never rooted my phone what are the pros and cons of doing this. I need step by step instructions if I decide to do it which I'm pretty convinced since I am sick and tired of relying on Sprint and Samsung to update to ICS, but still a little scared. I'm vaguely familiar with what a rom is but have no idea on how to get them or which ones are good. I like the stock Android ICS experience on the Nexus, I was about to buy one but it will cost to much right now. I need something stable at first until I get the hang of what I am doing. Thank you for any and all help.

Dark_Knight2

Banned
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I have never rooted my phone what are the pros and cons of doing this. I need step by step instructions if I decide to do it which I'm pretty convinced since I am sick and tired of relying on Sprint and Samsung to update to ICS, but still a little scared. I'm vaguely familiar with what a rom is but have no idea on how to get them or which ones are good. I like the stock Android ICS experience on the Nexus, I was about to buy one but it will cost to much right now. I need something stable at first until I get the hang of what I am doing. Thank you for any and all help.

Well its very very simple. All you need to do it get a hold of a Rooted EL29 Tar File from XDA by sfhub. Download and Install ODIN to your laptop. And follow the directions in sfhubs thread. Sfhub really knows his stuff.

Sent From A Rotary Phone

Reactions: GiantJay

DEF3NDER

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
You basically just download the files, put your phone into download mode, plug it into your computer, and press the start button. Odin does everything.

You will be glad you did it.

Pros- have rooted access and be able to use all the beastly apps that require root, or better yet install an amazing custom rom.

Cons- ??

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

Dark_Knight2

Banned
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
You basically just download the files, put your phone into download mode, plug it into your computer, and press the start button. Odin does everything.

You will be glad you did it.

Pros- have rooted access and be able to use all the beastly apps that require root, or better yet install an amazing custom rom.

Cons- ??

The Con is you "Void your warranty" but if you are smart you can restore your device to 100% stock and reset your odin count. They would never know :D

Sent From A Rotary Phone

GiantJay

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Thank you guys i got it done. I rooted and rooted it over and over the last few days and installed roms. Then had to read a lot and troubleshoot some things, but I'm learning little by little thanks to here and xda. I'm running 4.0.4 now and it is nice. Not having any issues yet with this ff18 ROM. Thanks again!:D

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech