EK02 to EL29, remove ROOT and CWM....

chrisingrassia

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Hi everyone -

So I've been running UnNamed 2.0.1 for who knows how long, but have been dealing with the "OTA EL29" update screen multiple times per day, every single day, since at least February I guess. To be honest, I've lost complete interest in doing anything relating to ROMs and theming and rooting and such, but it's been so long now I have completely forgotten how to go back to just a stock phone like when I took it out of the box. However, I can't for the life of me get the EL29 OTA to go through - I keep getting the little Android guy with the error triangle when I "Restart and Install." Here's what I've got:

Android 2.3.6
Baseband EK02
Kernel EK02
Build #: UnNamed v.2.0.1

I used sfhub's auto root a long time ago to root the phone, install CWM and Superuser. I've gone back through the process of using his tool to "Install BootImg EK02" option F (stock), rebooted, and then uninstalled Root. CWM is gone, so that's not the issue. It still won't pull down the OTA. Does this have something to do with the ROM? I don't know what else to do.....I just want my phone to go back to the day I took it out of the box. I'm no expert, and was afraid of this very thing when I rooted this phone that my expertise doesn't know how to go backwards.

Any help possible? Questions for me that I can answer to provide some help? Believe me, I've spent hours searching for answers, but haven't come across the solution yet.....Essentially, I just want to reverse everythign I've done on the phone so it's like it got it Day 1. I found a couple links on here that may be helpful,/ but am at work and haven't read through them quite yet. Can anyone confirm if these will be my knight-in-shining-armor?

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ep...50145-unrooting-going-back-out-box-stock.html
http://forums.androidcentral.com/ep...48992-system-update-problem-while-rooted.html

TIA!

Last edited:

bobvanjr

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I have this exact situation and I unrooted but it still won't let me pull an OTA update. It's been so long I can't remember what to do (since I rooted it). The phone has been passed down to my daughter and by now I believe the official ICS update is out right?

Any help?

patrao_n

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Remember you need to have stuck recovery and all sprint bloatware in tact. You should just odin el29 full restore. Then grab samsung kies for your computer. Hook it up after installing. It should pop up with the updates.

sent from my BAD A$$ Epic touch

bobvanjr

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Oh man, it's been so long since I did it I can't remember. All I did is root it and install CWM. All I wanted to do was get wifi tethering going back then. I never flashed a rom or removed anything. That's above my paygrade.

I can't recall for sure but I thing it was sfhub or something like that and I used his 1 click method at the time. A month or so ago I decided I needed to get her phone updated to ICS but realized I couldn't. I did enough research back then to hook it back up and un root it but it isn't allowing me to update it. It's stuck on EK02.

I just want to get it back to stock/factory especially since my daughter has it.

patrao_n

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
If its still ek02. You can wait for them to finally push the update to you. Or you can install samsung kies on your computer. Once installed open the program and connect your phone. It will come up with a dialog box saying there is an update. If you want a custom rom updated. Use odin to flash the el26 kernel packed with cwm5. Then boot recovery and flash the rom. Or you can just use one clicks.

sent from my BAD A$$ Epic touch

bobvanjr

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
It got the notification for an ota but I always told her not to accept any cause I thought it might cause issues due to root. I tried (I think before AND after root) that and it would go through and show the bugdroid with the open chest but then not update and lock up. I had to boot into recovery I think to get it back up and running.

I guess I just need to buckle down and do some research.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindagibney