Newbie Here Requesting Some Help

byrdcfmma

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Hello everyone. I have been reading a lot, and searching, but the more I read the more it seems I need to read more, lol!

Is there a Newbie Guide or anything that will help get up to speed on terms and processes? My phone updated to ICS, and after a lot of complaining to Sprint & Samsung, I rooted to EL29 and love it. Now where do I go from here? Maybe try some other modems to see if I can get better service in my area? Not only interested in the "how to" but also "Why" if that makes sense.

Thanks in advanced for any help or directions. BTW, I have been watching the QBKing 77 vids and they have been helpful.

byrdcfmma

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Okay, found and read dmmarck's Dont Panic Guide for the Nexus. That answered a lot of questions. Even though it is not my phone, I assume the processes are the same, but different roms, kernals, etc specific to to the phone and carrier.

Since I have already rooted to EL29, next up is CWM to make a recovery file. I'm going to search for it, but anyone can provide a quick link, feel free to help.

Thanks!

patrao_n

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Sorry I can't link right now. But look in the epic touh 4g forums on xda-developers.com there is a guide that is stickied in general called how not to brick.

sent from MY BAD A$$ ET4G

DEF3NDER

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
As for why, I'd say because you can and its fun. Update your device to your liking. Make it your own. Optimize it. Make it lean and mean. Whatever you want.

Do you have specific questions about the processes? Specific why's?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

byrdcfmma

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Try going to the team nocturnal web site

Sorry I can't link right now. But look in the epic touh 4g forums on xda-developers.com there is a guide that is stickied in general called how not to brick.

sent from MY BAD A$$ ET4G

As for why, I'd say because you can and its fun. Update your device to your liking. Make it your own. Optimize it. Make it lean and mean. Whatever you want.

Do you have specific questions about the processes? Specific why's?

Thanks for the info, that was one of my first posts over a month ago. I have already rooted and loaded many custom roms. I could have used that info a while ago, but I kept reading and found out a lot myself. I would not say I am a pro at this, but I am def a Flash-A-Holic!!

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the info, that was one of my first posts over a month ago. I have already rooted and loaded many custom roms. I could have used that info a while ago, but I kept reading and found out a lot myself. I would not say I am a pro at this, but I am def a Flash-A-Holic!!

Welcome to the club!

DEF3NDER

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Yup. Even when I find the "perfect" rom it is hard to keep flashing others. It's ridiculous.

garwynn

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
There's tons of resources out there.
I generally suggest folks keep at least 2 essentials:

1) The EL26/EL29 Odin One Click package. If EL26 the Rogue Repack gets you CWM in one flash.
2) FI27 one click along with Agat's FI27 repacked kernel and recovery. Gives you everything you need for safely using ICS. (Agat's kernel has been made safe from triggering the bug on that side... but keep in mind you can still be susceptible under certain conditions. Why I still keep sfhub's warning.)

Where you go from there? I keep FJ10 - the JB engineering build - on my phone to show folks who don't believe it's coming. I'm still hoping that they put the official fix in the the next source release - that would make me feel more comfortable flashing AOSP based builds. We'll see, not in any rush.

Again, enjoy and feel free to ask if you have any other ??s!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech