EVO Car Dock questions!

Caitlyn McKenzie

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Okay, so I'm new to Android. I'm coming from a Pre, which I've used a touchstone as a car mount. So obviously that will need a complete replacement.

Now I've heard there's a "Car Mode" in Android, and that it could be enabled when connected to a car dock? How does this work exactly, and does it require special docks?

Also, any recommendations for a car dock that can do the above (if possible) and charge the EVO as well? I'd like to get one that is not a windshield mount, but if there is one that is especially good, I will take a look.

Finally, are there car docks that also sport a 3.5mm connection, since my car stereo has a 3.5mm jack?

clafountaine

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
I would like to see some info on this too. I saw that Sedio has there line-up available for pre-order. Looks pretty nice, and comes with the little plate you mount to your dash and the suction cup attaches to that. Didnt see anything about the jack though, but that would be an awesome feature. mp3 player would be super useful then!

drjb74

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I dont know about the EVO, but the Droid has a car mode that when you click it into the Motorola Car dock, a new homepage comes up with five large icons to make it easier to press, navigation and such. When you remove it from the dock, it returns to the regular home screen.

It also has a separate homescreen for the Motorola multimedia dock as well. It is pretty cool. I really liked it. The only bad part for the car dock was that if you had it positioned horizontally in the car dock, when the phone rang, the call screen does not rotate, and stays in the vertical position. So either you have to position it in the vertical position, or when a call comes in, deal with the screen being sideways. Everything else rotated, depending on the orientation of the phone.

tntsniper#CB

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I am wondering if the EVO has similar functionality from car docks, and what kind of dock would be needed to do so.

The Evo does have the same feature. I can't remember, but I seen a video with the Evo being attached to a car dock and it switching to a certain mode.

imex99

May 16, 2010
Visit site
htc-evo-accessories2.jpg

I Saw video of someone using official dock & EVO but cant find it.

Caitlyn McKenzie

May 17, 2010
Visit site
imex: I saw that before, and I'd be all excited for that car mount, but no part number means there's a chance in hell of me finding it. Anyone have more info in that mount pictured?

drjb74

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
The homescreen for the docks is not customizable. It is a factory set layout, and it is almost like an app when it pops up. I suppose there might be a way if your are rooted, but I wouldn't think so. There was no way to do it on my Droid.

scaots

May 29, 2010
Visit site
Same Navigator app and the screen shots look same on my EVO. The annoying thing is that including this screen, none of the apps rotate except for maps and nav. Though I don't mind using in portrait anyway.

rockcrawler

Oct 13, 2009
Visit site
Same Navigator app and the screen shots look same on my EVO. The annoying thing is that including this screen, none of the apps rotate except for maps and nav. Though I don't mind using in portrait anyway.

You mean to tell me that that screen shot that we are looking at will not rotate? That seems like a pretty big fail on HTC's part. Will have to see how this looks mounted in my car in portrait mode. hmmmmm.......

Eguy

Lloyd Lover
Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
You mean to tell me that that screen shot that we are looking at will not rotate? That seems like a pretty big fail on HTC's part. Will have to see how this looks mounted in my car in portrait mode. hmmmmm.......

Nope, it doesn't. Same goes for Sense UI. With phones like the EVO, they really should work landscape into the next generation of Sense.

rockcrawler

Oct 13, 2009
Visit site
Nope, it doesn't. Same goes for Sense UI. With phones like the EVO, they really should work landscape into the next generation of Sense.

I totally agree. I am OK with my hero in portrait, as I have no dock for it, but with such a large beautiful screen (especially in landscape) The EVO could benefit from this functionality. This should be atop the upcoming feature list for Sense. Though I can see the difficulty with the dialer in landscape.

Anyone know how the Droid handles phone calls as there "Car Mode" is obviously capable of landscape. is the dialer landscape as well, or do you have to attempt to contort your head to see the screen. i guess its voice dialing FTW in any case.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34