1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Which Sprint OEM Car Charger?

yes i know you can buy cheaper ones but i am willing to pay more and get the Sprint OEM Car Charger. they offer two -

"Regular" - $34.99

"Rugged" - $39.99

which one to get?

Really don't know why your pay more at Sprint but that's your bag I guess.

I've seen a number of the "Regular" chargers in customers cars and they seem about as good as my RockitFish, i had to get that in (:, charger.
    The rugged charger just looks big and bulky IMO.
    Evo4G. Now with more Internet.

I would personally go with that first being that it's cheaper and serves the same purpose. However I do like the look of the rugged one better. As far as the USB charger goes I was told by a RS saleschick that the EVO was different then all HTC phones. I currently have an HTC 8925(Tilt) and assumed that my current charger will work. Could someone shed some light on this. please

Global Posts
    66 Global Posts

One of these

If your Tilt has a micro-USB it will work. HTC used to have an funky ext-USB connector.
    Mini-USB still fit and charged though.
    Evo4G. Now with more Internet.

Global Posts
    27 Global Posts

This is the charger that I have been using with my Pre. I don't see why it wouldn't work with the Evo as well...

Global Posts
    27 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by infoe View Post
    One of these

Man, I posted too slow.

Global Posts
    658 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jaymcp View Post
    I would personally go with that first being that it's cheaper and serves the same purpose. However I do like the look of the rugged one better. As far as the USB charger goes I was told by a RS saleschick that the EVO was different then all HTC phones. I currently have an HTC 8925(Tilt) and assumed that my current charger will work. Could someone shed some light on this. please
    Go here

Then go here
    http://www.androidcentral.com/

You can easily determine the types of connectors that are used. Obviously the Radio Shack person you spoke to has no clue what she is talking about. Luckily, thanks to the internets either of you could have easily determined that the Tilt uses mini-usb, and the Evo micro-usb.

Short answer: No, your existing charger will not work. Additionally, the Evo uses the same micro-usb cable that everyone other phone (including HTC phones) that use micro-usb. So ANY micro-usb charger will work, be it a car charger, wall charger, or cable that connects to your computer's usb port.

Lastly, a quick search on this forum would have yielded you this answer as well... ;-)

Are the ones on ebay ok? I don't want one that charges like crap or something. I see they don't look the same as the ones sold at sprint. The auction's charger says "sprint" on it while sprint.com just has the logo
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

follow up fyi - i got the "Regular" Sprint OEM Car Charger from the Sprint Store and it works great. i also ordered two Sprint OEM Travel Wall Chargers from Sprint.com.

Global Posts
    309 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    follow up fyi - i got the "Regular" Sprint OEM Car Charger from the Sprint Store and it works great. i also ordered two Sprint OEM Travel Wall Chargers from Sprint.com.
    It works better than any other car charger I have ever owned. Dont buy a cheap one, spend the cash, the charge alot faster and im sure have some sort of protection from ruining your battery/phone.
    Want to video chat on Fring ? Read the How-To guide here :
    How-To Video Chat on Fring !

If you need someone to help you test Fring out find yourself a Fring buddie here !
    Fring Buddies

I've been told by a few Sprint service reps that if your charger gets messed up or malfunctions for any reason, you can take it back and get it replaced, no questions asked.

I picked up a Palm Pre car charger from RadioShack for $12 a couple of weeks ago. If you don't want to go generic, check Slickdeals and something should pop up in a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by king5697 View Post
    I've been told by a few Sprint service reps that if your charger gets messed up or malfunctions for any reason, you can take it back and get it replaced, no questions asked.
    Thats exactly why I got the sprint charger.

Also, is it really ok to use any mini usb charger on any phone that uses mini usb? Are their different voltage requirements for different phones?

Amazon.com: OEM Rapid Car Charger with IC Chip (SPN5400) for…

Works perfect, cheap, and eligible for Amazon Prime. Enjoy.
    Software Engineer

Global Posts
    1,875 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM10.1 / Jelly Bean

Quote Originally Posted by charliegrs View Post
    Thats exactly why I got the sprint charger.

Also, is it really ok to use any mini usb charger on any phone that uses mini usb? Are their different voltage requirements for different phones?
    In my experience, any Micro USB charger will work, though devices that require more juice may charge more slowly on lower energy chargers.

I'm using a 10 dollar Durabrand Micro USB charger purchased from Wal Mart when I got my Treo 800w. It charged my Evo from about 70% to full in around 30 minutes.
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

Software Engineer

www.gksmithlcw.com

Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    is that why your avatar is money being burnt?

Got a Motorola MicroUSB from Sams Club. $6.99. Coiled cord, charging light, works like a charm.

Default Re: Which Sprint OEM Car Charger?

You can also consider putting a usb slot in your car....saw a cool writeup on gizmodo or somewhere.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    77 Global Posts

I used to have a Blackberry, and bought a generic "Verizon" branded microUSB charger for it... even though it was a Sprint BB it worked great. Figured it would work with the EVO... NOPE!. My EVO didn't even start charging, and I confirmed it worked, using a friends BB.

I dug up a generic USB car charger, plugged the USB cable provided with the EVO into it, and it worked.

So I am wondering why the "Verizon" charger didn't work with the EVO.... any clues??

Ken