1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    22 Global Posts

Default Bodyguardz destroyed my Evo

Hey guys, just wanted to post my experience with a certain screen protector. And sorry about the rant...

So just like everybody else, I was super excited to get my Evo. And because of that huge screen I had to get a screen protector. I narrowed my decision down to Invisible Shield and Bodyguardz. But I went with Bodyguardz since they provide you with two protectors instead of just one.

After installing it, I left the phone off overnight to dry. In the morning, I turned it on and realized that all the water that I squeegeed out from under the screen protector somehow seeped into the little cracks and crevices of the touch screen. And there were blotches everywhere!

I remember reading some advice from people about wet phones and rice so I figured I'd give that a shot. I left the phone in the rice for about a day but now the screen looks even worse! It also looks kind of foggy.

Now, I'm beginning to freak out. The touchscreen functionality is fine, nothings wrong with it. However I've noticed that the screen just shuts off occasionally.

So what should I do? I'm thinking about getting the Sprint TEP because it covers water damage. If my phone doesn't completely dry by the end of the week I want to take it there and get a replacement even though there is a $100 deductible. Do you guys think Sprint would let me sign up for the TEP now not knowing about the water damage and then get the replacement within a week or two? Again sorry for the long post but AHHH I'm so pissed!!!

I would call them and sign up for the TEF that way, instead of going into the store. That way, Sprint will not know that the screen is already damaged.

Did you not dry the excess water off with a towel while you were installing? I dont understand how that much water could have gotten in.

If you bought it at best buy their replacement plan has no deductible.

Global Posts
    163 Global Posts

Hmm, are you sure the water is under the screen and not between the film and glass? I've use BG film on my iphone (2x), HD2 and waiting for it to arrive for my Evo. On both the HD2 and iphone, it looks VERY bad immediately after you put it on - lots of small bubbles and "splotchy" look, but after a couple of days to a week of use, it dried out and turned completely clear - no bubbles. Maybe sign up for TEP over the phone, and give it a few days in the meantime.

I used a paper towel to absorb the excess as I squeegeed the screen. There shouldn't have been any excess liquid to leak out later after you finished! (Or does BG not use a squeegee?)

Haven't used the BG version, but I can't imaging that it's much different from the IS brand. Did you carefully remove it and try to clean the screen? Sounds like too much dried liquid on the screen is making it hazy.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    22 Global Posts

Thanks for the replies guys...

Quote Originally Posted by cheebahawk1 View Post
    I would call them and sign up for the TEF that way, instead of going into the store. That way, Sprint will not know that the screen is already damaged.

Did you not dry the excess water off with a towel while you were installing? I dont understand how that much water could have gotten in.
    Yes I did use a towel to dry off the excess water. I also used compressed air. Do you think that did more harm than good and actually forced the excess water into the crevices?

Quote Originally Posted by brandonc View Post
    Doesn't their insurance not cover water damage though? And would it be too late to add on the insurance for them?

Quote Originally Posted by gmtom1 View Post
    Hmm, are you sure the water is under the screen and not between the film and glass? I've use BG film on my iphone (2x), HD2 and waiting for it to arrive for my Evo. On both the HD2 and iphone, it looks VERY bad immediately after you put it on - lots of small bubbles and "splotchy" look, but after a couple of days to a week of use, it dried out and turned completely clear - no bubbles. Maybe sign up for TEP over the phone, and give it a few days in the meantime.
    Yeah positive it's under the glass. I removed the BG and there's still the haziness.

Global Posts
    125 Global Posts

I would suggest one of those dessicants and perhaps some light heat. When I need to dry something I put a space heater in the bathroom.. and close the door. That creates a room that won't burn anything, but should passively remove any excess moisture from devices.

If you use the dessicant.. put it in a ziplock bag with the phone.

or put it on a bowl of rice for 24 hours.

Global Posts
    1,524 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP35/Matr1x19.5

Can someone explain to me why people still use screen protectors that require liquid to install? I used Invisible Shields in the past, but really hate the sticky feeling on touch screens. They are also a nightmare to remove cleanly. Boxwave and a few other companies make great screen protectors that don't require liquid to install, and once they are installed, they are virtually impossible to see.
    Thanked by:
    Dukins 

ROM
    CyanogenMod 7.2

hi mikeli, did your screen ever dry correctly? I put an invisible gadget guard on yesterday and it looked absolutely terrible today. I took it off and turned the phone on and there are cloudy spots visible under the glass. Just wondering if you fixed yours and how?

Global Posts
    2,443 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Root

Quote Originally Posted by crzycrkr View Post
    Can someone explain to me why people still use screen protectors that require liquid to install? I used Invisible Shields in the past, but really hate the sticky feeling on touch screens. They are also a nightmare to remove cleanly. Boxwave and a few other companies make great screen protectors that don't require liquid to install, and once they are installed, they are virtually impossible to see.
    Never understood this myself. I wish the OP good luck though.
    Resident Ringtone Maker

Global Posts
    7,009 Global Posts
    ROM
    BB JB

cause they flat out work

Seriously, I wet the heck out of them and never had an issue.
    Maybe it's a flaw with the evo? I put mine on the Inc... (IS that is).

When I remove them there isn't any residue either.

OP does sprint allow you add insurance after you buy the phone? I think verizon gives you 10 days.

Global Posts
    1,524 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP35/Matr1x19.5

Quote Originally Posted by tony bag o donuts View Post
    cause they flat out work

Seriously, I wet the heck out of them and never had an issue.
    Maybe it's a flaw with the evo? I put mine on the Inc... (IS that is).

When I remove them there isn't any residue either.

OP does sprint allow you add insurance after you buy the phone? I think verizon gives you 10 days.
    There are plenty of other screen protectors that are dry applications that flat out work also. I would say they flat out work better. No hassle install, no 24 hour wait period.

How long have you had an invisible shield on before removing it? I had one on an ipod for 2 years(granted, who of us keeps a phone for 2 years), and I had a ***** of a time removing it and it left a ton of residue. I gave up trying to clean it and bought a new one.

As I've said in past posts, I think a good portion of the advocates for these wet install screen protectors have never tried one of the better dry install ones. I don't see how you could and then still go back.

By the way, I'm in construction and my phone gets beaten up pretty good. I am as careful as I can be with it, but it still takes it's shots, and my boxwave holds up just fine. A 3 pack for $25.00 will make it through the phones lifetime with me. You may never have to change an invisible shield(until the corners start peeling up, and they will), but for the minor hassle of changing the boxwave once or twice for about the same price, you get a much better feel and clarity over wet application shields.
    Thanked by:

The Siedio screen protectors are the best for the EVO. I have tried many screen protectors over the years and 3 different ones on my EVO and the Siedio is the best fit and slickness.

...no water to install!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by crzycrkr View Post
    Especially when the "$13 for 3" screen protectors from Sprint work awesome.

Global Posts
    624 Global Posts

LOL! How the hell can you blame BodyGuardz? It wasn't their fault that water got into the crevices of the phone. I have applied BG to all 3 EVOs at home without any issues. Any similarly-applied protector would have yielded the same results in your situation. Get TEP and pay $100 for the deductible. You're best (and, really, only) option.

Global Posts
    624 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by brandonc View Post
    Another Best Buy victim I see. BB will not cover water damage. No dice.

My best buy had no problem giving me a reppacement, no charge, for the same exact problem (user error, etc whatever).

Quote Originally Posted by mikeli689 View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys...
    I also used compressed air. Do you think that did more harm than good and actually forced the excess water into the crevices?
    Bingo!
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Global Posts
    22 Global Posts

Somebody revived my thread from the dead woohoo!

Anyways, so this is what has happened so far with my predicament:

I signed up a couple days or so after getting water damage under the screen. So I want to say I got it on the 7th or 8th. I decided I'd give my Evo at least a week to dry as much as it could before I actually made a claim to get a replacement. That and if I made the claim the week of signing up for TEP, Asurion would probably be a little suspicious.

Anyway, weeks went by, and most of the water damage did eventually dry out. However, there was still some bright spots on the screen due to the water. So I figured I'd file a claim. It was actually a pretty big headache as I went through the process.

I filed the claim online and it seemed like the website crashed a couple times. I began to file my claim, and as I was coming to the end, it said that it needed to verify my identify and all this other pish posh. They needed me to make them an affidavit along with a copy of my drivers license. So I did that. They called me within 24 hours and told me that my claim was in the process of being processed. I believe this was a Monday or Tuesday. I checked the status of my claim daily on their website, hoping that it'd say "Claim processed, device shipped" or something similar to that. However Friday came and the website still said that my claim was still processing so I was like wtf, I'm gonna call them. I gave them a call and they said the reason the claim hadn't been processed yet was because I hadn't paid for it yet (but I did pay for it on the website when I was filling out the claim). So they wanted me to pay over the phone and I did. They shipped out the phone the following Monday and I received it Tuesday. I checked my billing statement later on in the week just to make sure they hadn't charged me twice. Good thing I did because they ended up charging me twice! I was not happy at this point.

When I received the phone I wanted to check it out just to make sure nothing was wrong with it. But as I went through my inspection, I noticed a couple things: the bezel around the glass was all scratched and the volume rocker was "crickety". By crickety I mean that it makes a click noise every time I press it.

I called Asurion back, telling them how disappointed I was. They said they were sorry about what happened and that they had to send me a refurbished item because the new devices were on back order. The CS rep said that he would send another device, but a new one. He told me I'd probably have to wait at least a week, and I said that'd be fine.

So finally, I'm in the process of waiting on the other phone, hoping that it'll be a new device, not a refurbished one. And that I won't be charged, again.