Finally got my bluetooth keyboard working with my Evo!

Braaainz

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I‘ve got my FreedomPro Bluetooth Keyboard working with my unrooted Evo!!!!

The keyboard company makes drivers for android phones. I had tried them previously, but couldn‘t get ‘em to work. Well apparently, I just didn‘t mess with it enough.It‘s working great now!!!!!

In fact, this entire post is being done with my bluetooth keyboard paired to my Evo!

I still have some small problems, like at random times, the keyboard will suddenly switch into Korean characters. This requires me going back and re-selecting English in my Language setting on the phone.
Also, I‘m not quite used to the placement of the up arrow key in relation to the shift key. I‘ve been hitting the up arrow a lot instead of the shift which is frustrating... but considering the size of the folding keyboard, I can‘t complain.

The touch screen on the Evo makes it really easy to go back and move the cursor on the screen. Arrow keys really aren‘t needed all that often.

Selecting specific text is kinda tough, but then again, it‘s tough on the Evo without a keyboard.

The Freedom Pro Keyboard has a built-in detachable stand for cellphones. I didn‘t think I‘d use it, what with the Evo‘s kickstand, but I find myself liking the stand. It‘s more stable than the kickstand.

What really surprised me is that the Freedom Pro‘s application buttons are working. From my keyboard, I hit one button and go immediately to my calendar or my homescreen! You can also assign your Function keys to start specific apps!

I‘m not getting any lag while typing at all. I‘ve heard from someone that if you leave the keyboard idle for more than ten minutes, it‘ll log you out and you‘ve got to go thru pairing again... but I haven‘t apparently stopped typing for that long.

Now, don‘t get me wrong, my Freedom Pro keyboard isn‘t the perfect symbiosis. there‘s that switching to Korean at random times, the difficulty of the android OS to select specific text... but all in all, I think having the touchscreen and keyboard demonstrates the future of computing... especially if we are ever able to push all screen data out thru the HDMI port on the Evo.

Here's an interesting thing... there are specially assigned function keys already set up with the keyboard. From my keyboard, I can skip away from this internet window to the Music player on the Evo, choose a previously downloaded podcast or MP3, play/pause/change volume and then skip back to this screen to continue my editing. ALL FROM MY BLUETOOTH KEYBOARD!

Last edited:

grizzlyaddams

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Can you elaborate on any specific steps you had to take to get the keyboard working? I've been thinking heavily about getting a bt keyboard for the evo if not for more than having hard keys to play emulators and other games, and occasional text entry. but ive heard nothing but problems with pairing bluetooth hid devices to the evo, and im not yet interested in rooting (until a fully functional stock android rom is available)

dont want to throw $90 down the hole.

Braaainz

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I used a Freedom Pro Keyboard. This is important to note because the Freedom Pro uses either HID or SPP. Many bluetooth keyboards will only connect via HID and Android phones don't support HID (yet). I'm using my keyboard via SPP and will happily switch to HID when Android includes it.

As to the specific steps... the link below connects to a video that goes thru the steps with an older Android phone... but the steps are pretty much the same for the Evo.
Video: Pairing Freedom Pro Keyboard with Android Device

I've got to say that the blogger in the video is the reason why I got my Evo connected to the Freedom Pro. I don't know if he's somehow tied to the company who makes the keyboard (I don't think he is), but it's because of his blog posts that I got my stuff synced and working.

So
1. the Freedom Pro Keyboard works without rooting your Evo.
2. it doesn't use HID bluetooth but can in the future (using SPP bluetooth until then).

Last edited:

SimpleMobileReview

May 5, 2010
Visit site
@Braaainz We are very happy that the video ended up helping you. We are not associated with Freedom we just love the product. Thanks for the feedback! Let us know if there is anything else we can help you with.

Chris
Simple Mobile Review

UTnick

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
me and my buddy were talking about this the other day and it was one of the only things keeping him from pulling the trigger. great find.

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Specific steps to get Freedom Pro working with Evo V2.2

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 12:03 PM
Subject: evo instructions
To: thejumpingplace@gmail.com

Android Drivers – Before installation
Because of restrictions on the Android Operating System we are not able to automate the installation process as much as we can for other platforms. Please ensure that you read the installation instructions carefully.
Also because of the operating system restrictions it is not possible to control the pop up menus via the keyboard and some functions keys may not work. If development support for these is added to the Android OS in the future we will add it to our drivers.
Installation and connection
Allowing non Android Market Application installation:
From the Home Screen press the menu button and select “Settings”.
Within the “Settings” menu select “Applications”.
Make sure that “Unknown Sources” check box is ticked to allow the installation of non-Market applications.
Pairing the Keyboard:
Put the keyboard into SPP mode and switch it on.
Press in the recessed Pairing button for 5 seconds to put the keyboard into pairing mode.
On your Phone go to “Settings”, then “Wireless controls” and then select “Bluetooth Settings”.
Ensure that Bluetooth is turned on (the Bluetooth checkbox at the top is checked). Now click on “Scan for devices”.
At the bottom of the screen, under “Bluetooth devices”, you will see “Freedom Pro Keyboard” appear. Click on this to begin the pairing process.
When asked for the PIN enter 0000 (four zeros) and then click ok.
You will now see “Freedom Pro Keyboard Paired but not connected”. Please note that the connection is controlled by the keyboard drivers so the keyboard will never show as being connected within this Bluetooth manager.
Installing the drivers:
From your phones internet browser go to OTAdrivers.com - Drivers for Freedom Input
Select the “Freedom Pro Keyboard” from the list of products.
The website should automatically detect that you have an Android device and give you the driver file to download. If it does not automatically detect your device click on the link to “manually download” the drivers and select the “Android OS link” to download the file.
Once the file has finished downloading click on it to begin the installation process.
You will get a message saying what parts of the OS the keyboard will interact with. Click on ok to continue the installation.
Activating the drivers and connecting the keyboard:
On your phone go to “Settings”.
From the “Settings” menu select “Locale & Text” (if you are on 1.x) or “Language and Keyboard” (if you are on 2.x).
Under “Text Settings” Ensure that “Freedom Pro Keyboard” is ticked. (This does NOT have to be exclusive. You can have multiple items ticked).
Ensure your keyboard is turned on and click on “Freedom Pro Keyboard Settings”.
Click on “Connect” and after a few seconds this will change to “disconnect” and your keyboard is now connected.
Now you need to select the Freedom Pro keyboard as the input method. Click on the “Type here to test your keyboard”.
“Hold” (Long Press) your finger on the “text entry box” that pops up for a few seconds and release.
On the “Edit Text” menu click on “Input Method” and then select “Freedom Pro Keyboard”.
Your keyboard will now be connected and configured. Now when you have finished using the keyboard just switch it off. When you wish to use it again switch it back on, wait a few seconds for it to automatically reconnect and then just use it

Jon,
You rock!

In addition to the instructions below the unpair, turn off phone reset and then connect worked!

I just wish I could have gotten in touch with you from 10:00 pm -2 am last night!

Please post this on the Android forum's so that you can stop answering the phone!
(I know you don't have enough time to do this because you are to busy answering the phone!)

Thanks loads!

You rock!

--
Cathy
912 322 7282
thejumpingplace@gmail.com
203 N Dandy St.
St. Marys, GA 31558

scramer

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I just received my Freedom Pro Keyboard. I had trouble getting it to work with other applications (ie notes, docs to go, etc). What I did (maybe this is common knowledge, but it wasn't for me) was to long press on the document and then choose the Freedom Keyboard for entry (same way to test it above).

Now that I have figured it out, it works great.

imtravis

Jan 1, 2010
Visit site
Just got mine today, and have it working (took me a bit to get it, cause I didn't see it had wanted to pair with my Evo). It works great, just make sure you disable <Shift><Space> in settings otherwise like me, you'll end up typing in Korean.