Evo Car Mounts / Charges

studfuz

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I did not see an Official thread for comparing car mounts and chargers. So I made one.
Please Include:
Links and personal comments about the device.
How it is mounted: Does it stick with sucktion cups, screw into dash, ect.
Default Position:Does it hold the phone in portrait or landscape? Does it swivel?
Charging: Does it charge the device out of the box?
Adjustable: Can you move it? How far? What directions?
Screen Shots!

Lets get this thread moving!

studfuz

May 25, 2010
Visit site
That's because besides universal ones, there aren't any for the evo until July.

I would like to see what people are using until then, and then continue it once official ones are out. I saw a nice car mount on a site that was reviewing the navigation software for the Evo.

pingpongboss

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
kpx7792v_p.gif

I used Sprint's official universal car mount for a few days. It cost around $40, and has pretty high build quality. Mounts both on the windshield and dashboard using a suction cup and a sticky pad for your dashboard if needed.

It swivels in just about any direction. Landscape and portrait mode supported.

It does only holds the phone. Does not charge, and does not have an audio cable. This means you'll have 2 wires running from your car's AUX input and power outlets.

It does not stick forward very far, so you'll have to lean forward to touch the phone.

When the road is bumpy, the car dock is jittery. Because its adjustable, you have to tighten 2 big thumbscrews, which aren't tight enough to prevent the jitter.

Bottom of this page: http://shop.sprint.com/NASApp/onlin...sories?phoneSKU=APA9292KT&FirstStep=accessory

studfuz

May 25, 2010
Visit site
kpx7792v_p.gif

I used Sprint's official universal car mount for a few days. It cost around $40, and has pretty high build quality. Mounts both on the windshield and dashboard using a suction cup and a sticky pad for your dashboard if needed.

It swivels in just about any direction. Landscape and portrait mode supported.

It does only holds the phone. Does not charge, and does not have an audio cable. This means you'll have 2 wires running from your car's AUX input and power outlets.

It does not stick forward very far, so you'll have to lean forward to touch the phone.

When the road is bumpy, the car dock is jittery. Because its adjustable, you have to tighten 2 big thumbscrews, which aren't tight enough to prevent the jitter.

Bottom of this page: Sprint - All Accessories

Thanks, where did you mount yours?
Does it fit with cases on the phone?

pingpongboss

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, where did you mount yours?
Does it fit with cases on the phone?

Mounted left of the steering wheel on the lower-left corner of the windshield (stupid california law). The gripper fits all kinds of sizes. It had no problem taking my phone with the Seidio Innocase Active.

Bigtuna00

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Name: Toyota Cup Holder
How it is mounted: Comes with the car.
Default Position:Portrait, does not swivel.
Charging: With a car charger, yes.
Adjustable: Anywhere that involves removing the phone.
Screen Shots!
images

(But seriously I have the Proclip mount from my previous Touchstone installation. Just waiting on the holder from Proclip.)

Gelst

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Well these aren't official threads or anything but we have been covering car mounts for a while.

Here are just a few of the links on the boards... maybe a Mod can sticky a car mount thread to the top or combine some of these threads. I know I have posted in a few of them and linked a few nice universal car windshield mounts that I found after hours of looking online.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-evo-4g/13948-evo-car-dock-questions.html

http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-evo-4g/16505-car-kit-htc-evo.html

http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-evo-4g/14488-evo-car-mount.html

http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-evo-4g/17358-why-no-desk-cradle-car-mount.html

http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-evo-4g/16110-dash-windshield-mounts-armband.html

http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc...der-works-perfectly-encased-evo-bare-one.html

studfuz

May 25, 2010
Visit site
get it stickied

Hey guys, thanks for all of your responces! I know there are couple of post that talk about mounts, the point was to try to compilate some that information, and hopefuly get stickied.
I will try to gather the information you have posted and transplant it here.
Bigtuna00 love the post, and it seems my Saturn comes standard with the same holder.

FractalSphere

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for making this thread, if I did not see it, I would have made one myself!

ARKON SM321-MICRO (sm321micro) - Cell Phone Cradles - Sonic Electronix

I ordered this after about 2 weeks of having my phone. Plugs into my horizontally mounted cigarette lighter, charges via MicroUSB directly, does swivel, and can hold the phone either in landscape or portriat mode.

Admittedly, I was a little doubtful of a generic holder, but it was inexpensive enough to experiment with and it's been great so far! For those looking at the host site pics, the two base points (down, when in portrait mode) move independently of each other, providing ample space for the MicroUSB charger to plug in securely while the phone is being held securely by the rubber/foam padded grippers. They do not interfere with volume buttons.

Will include a screenshot of the phone in holder at some point soon.

P.S. I'd also recommend the website in general, www.sonicelectronix.com, they got the holder to me with their baseline free shipping (from California to Chicago) in 3 days, and it came in great shape.

Last edited:

gameday22

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Official Mount

Unless people are in a rush to get a mount for the EVO I would wait for the official one from Sprint to be released. Just like the HD2's mount, the one for the EVO will have the ability to enter the Navigation/Sprint Navigation application as soon as it is plugged into the mount. If any of you have been using the Navigation app it is quite accurate and I love the level of detail that you can get with it. Between that and the Sprint Navigation there is absolutely no need to own another GPS system, especially as 4G continues to roll out onto the market.

Right now it is still a little inconvenient to use, especially if your not sure of the area your in and your need to make a phone call, or are receiving an important call and have to temporarily suspend the Navigation abilities of the device.

I saw where someone took the HD2's mount and broke one of the side tabs off of it...which allowed the EVO to fit into the mount and asked which Navigation application you would like to use. It looked like it worked well...but I would rather wait for the official one to come out so you know it's perfectly secure. Also on the real mount for the device your EVO will be able to charge, the plug mounts into the base just like it does the HD2 mount.

Has anyone had luck with a generic mount automatically asking if you would like to use the Navigation/Sprint Navigation applications?....Thanks for any replies. :)

Last edited:

Rhoq

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
I purchased this on Amazon a few weeks ago and I love it.

51jJd3ykqOL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Amazon.com: Advanced Car Mount System FM Transmitter & Charger for?

How it is mounted: Cigarette lighter via a highly adjustable gooseneck.
Default Position: Portait. Swivels for landscape.
Charging: Yes, via USB and the included micro USB cable. Since this is a universal mount, it also comes with a mini USB cable.
Adjustable: Yes, can be moved in just about any direction you will need.

As an added bonus this mount is also an FM transmitter.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy