SGP STEINHEIL ULTRA CRYSTAL Review

pedromartinez1983

May 18, 2010
Visit site
PRODUCT: Comes with 2 Screen protector

EARLY REVIEW: I recieved my SGP STEINHEIL ULTRA CRYSTAL Screen Protector for HTC Evo 4G
Today and after 30 min of installation i finally got it on perfect. i will post some more pics tommorrow after i get some better sunlight to snap some photos i will compare my review with the Seidio screen protector that i have as well .. Right now the Seidio one seems to have a slight edge as far as smoothness but i still need to break in the Steinheil . with Steinheil and seidio i needed to install them in the bathroom with the shower on hot and steam to take care of the dust. i tried it without the steam but i had no luck because dust was under the screen with both and i had to wash them and reinstall them.

Furthermore, i am interested in Steinheils claim to have UV protection which Seidio doesnt. I would like to add that Seidio screen protector is Incredible as far as clarity and smoothness i am being totally unbiased as i only got the steinheil because of reputation. with that said i need to wait another day to really give a more acurate review so stay tuned ..

If you guys have any questions feel free to comment ..

Reactions: iremos

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Any affect on screen quality with either one? edit: good or bad affect

Have you used the anti-fingerprint screen guard from Steinheil to compare to?

I'm also curious to see what the UV protection will do to help the phone.

pedromartinez1983

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Any affect on screen quality with either one? edit: good or bad affect

Have you used the anti-fingerprint screen guard from Steinheil to compare to?

I'm also curious to see what the UV protection will do to help the phone.

No i havent used the Antifingerprint one. i would rather keep screen clarity at 100% but you can see a side by side comparision if you do a youtube search on the ipad screen protectors from them..

With that said The UV COATING that Steinheil put on my screen protector is there and works i just went outside and i saw an improvement over the SEIDIO USG.

The grippyness i hope goes away because Seidio USG was as smooth as all hell

Screen Clarity is a toss up between the SEIDIO AND Steinheil Both are crystal clear

bassmanxu

May 7, 2010
Visit site
With that said The UV COATING that Steinheil put on my screen protector is there and works i just went outside and i saw an improvement over the SEIDIO USG.

What was the improvement? Better visibility? Less glare?

Also, was the Seidio grippy to begin and then got better with use? Or is the Steinheil more grippy starting off than the Seidio was?

Thanks for the review!

pedromartinez1983

May 18, 2010
Visit site

What was the improvement? Better visibility? Less glare?

Also, was the Seidio grippy to begin and then got better with use? Or is the Steinheil more grippy starting off than the Seidio was?

Thanks for the review!

UV coating: refers to surface treatments which are either cured by ultraviolet radiation, or protect the underlying material from its harmful effects..This is plastic coating that is applied after the printing process. This yields a very tough, almost unscratchable surface that is the most durable.

There seemed to be a little less glare but its tough because i dont have to side by side and i could be wrong and UV coating is not for Glare but with the Steinheil being 25% thicker it may do a better job with glare.

AS far as grippyness Seidio came smooth right out the box way smoother that Steinheil. Seidio fells like the naked glass .. I cant say the same for Steinheil .. remember this is a new version of Steinheil and not the original so if you compare you have to compare the new steinheil and it seems more grippy.

Both are crystal clear and you will not be able to tell that they are even there if you have a innocase 2 on it but if you dont then Seidio would be less noticable only on the edges because both are incredibly clear.

QuasarZ

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
Glad to hear about seidio smoothness as mine is coming on the 30th. I couldn't decide which one to get so I went with seidio one as I got free shopping with amazon prime.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
UV coating: refers to surface treatments which are either cured by ultraviolet radiation, or protect the underlying material from its harmful effects..This is plastic coating that is applied after the printing process. This yields a very tough, almost unscratchable surface that is the most durable.

There seemed to be a little less glare but its tough because i dont have to side by side and i could be wrong and UV coating is not for Glare but with the Steinheil being 25% thicker it may do a better job with glare.

AS far as grippyness Seidio came smooth right out the box way smoother that Steinheil. Seidio fells like the naked glass .. I cant say the same for Steinheil .. remember this is a new version of Steinheil and not the original so if you compare you have to compare the new steinheil and it seems more grippy.

Both are crystal clear and you will not be able to tell that they are even there if you have a innocase 2 on it but if you dont then Seidio would be less noticable only on the edges because both are incredibly clear.

Man that sucks about the grippiness. That's what I don't like about the Zagg and others like it. Does it make the phone less "usable?" For example have you found that it makes swiping more difficult? Mostly thinking about the Swype keyboard. Good to hear about the Seidio one, though, and I'm thinking that the anti-fingerprint one might be less grippy just because it's anti-fingerprint.

Thanks for the advice about looking on youtube, I honestly didn't think about doing that. :)

pedromartinez1983

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Man that sucks about the grippiness. That's what I don't like about the Zagg and others like it. Does it make the phone less "usable?" For example have you found that it makes swiping more difficult? Mostly thinking about the Swype keyboard. Good to hear about the Seidio one, though, and I'm thinking that the anti-fingerprint one might be less grippy just because it's anti-fingerprint.

Thanks for the advice about looking on youtube, I honestly didn't think about doing that. :)

evan though i say Steinheil is grippy it is not nowhere near zagg and it is very usable just a little bit less finger flow than SEIDIO

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
evan though i say Steinheil is grippy it is not nowhere near zagg and it is very usable just a little bit less finger flow than SEIDIO

Ok that makes me feel better about it, then. I've heard good things about both brands, but I've heard less bad things about Steinheil. Maybe I'll try both and see which one I like.

Does either one have an advantage when it comes to screen quality?

Is the grippiness difference between the two that noticable? Like night and day?

pedromartinez1983

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Ok that makes me feel better about it, then. I've heard good things about both brands, but I've heard less bad things about Steinheil. Maybe I'll try both and see which one I like.

Does either one have an advantage when it comes to screen quality?

Is the grippiness difference between the two that noticable? Like night and day?

The steinheil reviews you have read are from their differant screen protector their new line s for the Evo and iphony are differant they are not the traditional screen protector so take that into account when looking at their reviews

Yes there is a noticable diffearnce between Steinheil and SEDIO. Seidio is the freakin :) glass to me while there is a little drag on Steinheil. on a scale from 1-10 on drag i give SEIDIO 10 AND Steinheil 6

as far as screen quality they are very close but i cant help to think that the 25% increase in thickness in the Steinheil has to block out some visabiliity but if so it doesnt seem .. right now i have to say Seidio but you cant go wrong with Steiheil

Last edited:

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
The steinheil reviews you have read are from their differant screen protector their new line s for the Evo and iphony are differant they are not the traditional screen protector so take that into account when looking at their reviews

Yes there is a noticable diffearnce between Steinheil and SEDIO. Seidio is the freakin :) glass to me while there is a little drag on Steinheil. on a scale from 1-10 on drag i give SEIDIO 10 AND Steinheil 6

as far as screen quality they are very close but i cant help to think that the 25% increase in thickness in the Steinheil has to block out some visabiliity but if so it doesnt seem .. right now i have to say Seidio but you cant go wrong with Steiheil

I appreciate your quick responses. I think I will be going with Seidio unless I hear good things about the anti-fingerprint Steinheil. Or if Seidio comes out with an anti-fingerprint.

joek1971

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I just got and it feels great and looks great too. I think it is better then Zagg, I bought those also but they didnt come yet, got them at 50% off so had to use coupon before it expired, be as back up if needed.

Edge767

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
I got the Steinheil and can't be happier with it. I've had Zagg in the past on other devices and felt it was too rubbery for a screen protector.

I did get one dust bubble on my screen, but I don't care enough about it to worry about it. Otherwise, it's on flawlessly and looks great. I see no reduction in usability or any reduced visibility through the Steinheil. I got the Ultra Crystal Clear, btw (as there are three different types of Steinheils).

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I got the Steinheil and can't be happier with it. I've had Zagg in the past on other devices and felt it was too rubbery for a screen protector.

I did get one dust bubble on my screen, but I don't care enough about it to worry about it. Otherwise, it's on flawlessly and looks great. I see no reduction in usability or any reduced visibility through the Steinheil. I got the Ultra Crystal Clear, btw (as there are three different types of Steinheils).

Have you noticed any grippiness like what the OP noticed? Have you used the Seidio for comparison? JW because it seems like clarity and display quality are about the same. Just the feel is different. Seidio is described as "glass-like" and not changing the feel at all.

I think I'm just gonna have to bite the bullet and try them for myself instead of asking 50 million questions about each one. :p

joek1971

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I got this:

SGP STEINHEIL ULTRA CRYSTAL Screen Protector for HTC Evo 4G (Sprint)

Crystal clear one and it is great I also was not thrilled about ZAGG rubbery feel.

It comes with 2 screen protectors for that price cloth. Very easy to put on, I had to order 2 cause I have 3 EVO's, I like this better cause it does not have that rubber feel. And I did not loose any response from the screen. Covers the entire screen not just the screen itself, but the entire front, from top to bottom. I highly recommend it. But this is just my opinion. It gives a glassy feel, like the screen without it, you dont feel any difference, and this is what i like.

Last edited:

Edge767

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Have you noticed any grippiness like what the OP noticed? Have you used the Seidio for comparison? JW because it seems like clarity and display quality are about the same. Just the feel is different. Seidio is described as "glass-like" and not changing the feel at all.

I think I'm just gonna have to bite the bullet and try them for myself instead of asking 50 million questions about each one. :p

Well, I won't say it's 100% the same as glass ('cause it just isn't) but it's pretty darn close. VERRRRY close. It's better than the Instinct screen was without a protector; almost like the Pre's screen without a protector (maybe even a little better?).

pedromartinez1983

May 18, 2010
Visit site
for anyone that thinks that the steinheil actually feels like glass then you cant fathom how SEIDIO USG feels because its a smoother experiance, those that have not compared the Seidio to the Steinheil wont be able to accuratly compare .. i have tried both and i think (i know ) that Seidio gives a glass like feel .. i testify to this its not evan close

Furthermore you can get an exact glassy feel with the seidio because they are just that damn good and Steinheil is a very close 2nd

Last edited:

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
for anyone that thinks that the steinheil actually feels like glass then you cant fathom how SEIDIO USG feels because its a smoother experiance, those that have not compared the Seidio to the Steinheil wont be able to accuratly compare .. i have tried both and i think (i know ) that Seidio gives a glass like feel .. i testify to this its not evan close

Furthermore you can get an exact glassy feel with the seidio because they are just that damn good and Steinheil is a very close 2nd

It say a lot about a product when you are willing to defend it like that. :)