Amzer Luxe Argyle vs. HTC Gel silicon case

JERAVICIOUS

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Hey Guys,

4753752728_fa14600c1f.jpg

Here is my take on the Amzer Luxe Argyle compared to HTC's rubber case.

First the HTC rubber gel case is made of a soft silicon material. It is very flexible and you can twist and turn this thing and not worry that it will rip.
4753752906_630edb6f71.jpg

4753113753_70c7349c79.jpg

The case adds some bulk to your EVO. The cut outs for the camera, kickstand, speaker, led lights, usb & hdmi, and microphone are cut out well. The case's bulk comes in handy because the camera does not stick out, just a tiny bit.
4753754054_fb99590be4.jpg

4753755190_f23944b5d2.jpg

4753116217_d97ab71e2b.jpg

4753754778_35ddfac8d3.jpg

4753115439_f0464db5c0.jpg

The buttons on that are on EVO are on the case. Pushing the buttons on the case is really responsive and soft. I did not have a problem pushing the power button, even though the power button is flush the the phone's structure (black EVO).
4753754544_2851a072d8.jpg

4753115835_8cde924e37.jpg

The case does collect a lot of lint when you put it in your pocket. At times it took longer to get my EVO out of my pocket with the case as oppose to having the phone without the case.

JERAVICIOUS

May 16, 2010
Visit site
4753751700_4840a869a4.jpg

4753751494_3a39bffeec.jpg

Amzer's Luxe Argyle is much sturdier and made of a flexible plastic. It is still bendable, but not as flexible as HTC's silicon case. I would not recommend bending this case a lot even though it is durable. Also the case is a transparent smoke black color.
4753753832_2177a434fe.jpg

The fitting of this case hugs the EVO tightly. It does not put a lot of bulk to the phone like HTC's case. Since the case is a snug fit, you may have harder time putting it on than HTC's case since the material is stiff and cuz of the fitting. It's not a deal breaker or anything or rocket science; the HTC case is more flexible so you can stretch it over your phone when you put it on. Where's Amzer's is a little stiff but after you put it on you will not be disappointed with the fit. Fits like a glove.
4753756210_d65c4bf322.jpg

The cut outs are precise and almost exact to the phone. Beats HTC's case hands down. Also the camera does not stick out that much either. Buttons for the volume rocker and power button are there. They feel just like the case, stiff, but I feel it's better because you can feel the buttons more when you press them. The fact that HTC's case adds a little bulk to the phone, I felt like I was not pressing the buttons down so I would press a little harder at times.
4753117667_59d968ce2e.jpg

4753118375_3e93436383.jpg

4753756430_7fd7617ab6.jpg

4753757416_eac68eb16a.jpg

4753758776_0c04a8d854.jpg

The case feels smooth and easily comes in and out of your pocket. The case will not collect lint either.

Overall, both cases are great and will fit anyone's needs. If you like the feel of gel cases and feel the padded casing is security for you and your phone, then HTC's gel case is for you. The build on it is great, button are laid out on the case and the cut outs are there. Very flexible and easy to put on your phone.

If you want something that will come close to the EVO's exact fit, then go with Amzer's Luxe series. The layout is precise to the EVO, the cut outs are almost exact. The build is great, more stiff than gel cases and it is smooth.

I personally like Amzer's Luxe compared to HTC's gel case. Reasons why is because of the fitting. Amzer Luxe fits really well and does not add any extra bulk to the phone. It is smooth and lint free when you put it in your pockets. I love how the cut outs are almost perfect for the phone. And design wise, I love argyle things and this argyle design is not too much or screaming for attention.

Just like my phone, I picked the case for my needs and these two cases will fit anyone's needs as well. Enjoy! Peace!

Do to image restrictions, I could not post as many images. Check out my flickr for more:
luxe vs htc gel - a set on Flickr
4753755950_a88132257f.jpg

Last edited:

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
i hate the line running through the middle of the amzer case though =(

the orange one looks good too =) to bad amzer shipping/customer service sucks..... hard

TWC_SouthPhilly

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
:(
I like the black one. Looks like pretty good quality.

I have the black HTC case, it's a good case but I agree with JERAVICIOUS. Spot on review m8.

@JERAVICIOUS on the 4 th picture down in the Amzer case review, the one showing the screen there's a little piece of round grey plastic. What is it for??? Looks like some kind of plug/cover for the 3.5mm head phone jack.

JERAVICIOUS

May 16, 2010
Visit site
@JERAVICIOUS on the 4 th picture down in the Amzer case review, the one showing the screen there's a little piece of round grey plastic. What is it for??? Looks like some kind of plug/cover for the 3.5mm head phone jack.

you know what, I have no I idea, I looked back at my pictures on flickr while posting this review, I too was wondering what happened to my picture. I'm not sure what the swirl thing is. Maybe my picture got messed up while being uploaded because it's not on my evo. It could have been a piece of rubber or plastic from something. Hah. Thanks for the heads up.

Last edited:

JERAVICIOUS

May 16, 2010
Visit site
the orange one looks good too =) to bad amzer shipping/customer service sucks..... hard

It took close to a month to get my case. good thing I ordered it way before the evo came out because I heard that this company takes forever to ship. Good thing the cases can now be found on amazon and if you're a prime member you can get it in two days!

fraz

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
I purchased the smoke grey argyle case and loved the look, but for some reason I cant stop using the Seidio Limited case b/c of the feel and durability.

If anyone wants my practically brand new argyle case, its up on the marketplace forum for a decent price. :)

JERAVICIOUS

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Hey Jeravicious, your review is great can you also tell me the price for both cases
I got the case for about $10 from Amzer's website. If I were you, I'd get it on amazon because they have it in stock and they ship faster.

FYI...for those that have access to a .edu email address, you can sign up for free Amazon Prime for 1 year, which includes free 2 day shipping.
1 year Free Amazon Prime Membership for College Students - SlickDeals.net Forums

I wish I knew that a long time ago. Hah. Thanks! I'll sign up for that when my year is over.

todivefor

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
I like the looks of the Amzer case, but would prefer it in black rather than argyle. I looked at the Amzer site, but could not find the same argyle case, but plain. Did I just miss it?

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
Those are really nice cases. I have the Rocketfish rubber case. It fits very snug. It can be difficult to put onbut once its on, it is awesome. The rubber is slick, so it easily goes in and out if your pants pocket. It is easy to clean too. Just wipe and you are done. No lint or anything like that to worry about. My only gripe is that the power and volume buttons aren't as easy to press. After a while, you find a way to press them correctly, but it dies take some trial and error. I bought the case for $20 at BestBuy. It is the best skin that I have ever owned. One if the other things that I like is that it won't scratch my phone. I bought a hard case for my iPhone once and it scratched the sides. I was very upset. I vowed never to get a hard case again. This skin is perfect.

allsighs

May 22, 2010
Visit site
I actually have both types of cases. I have the Argyle on my EVO and my wife has Amzer's soft silicone gel case (raspberry color) on hers which is very similar in feel to the HTC. A couple things i have noticed.

Regarding the Argyle, I cannot say enough that it feels MUCH better going in and out of a pocket. It is more slimming to the phone and the slick feel makes it easier to get in and out. However, the thinnish gel that keeps it slim also doesnt feel like it will protect the phone as much in a drop, especially if it hits on a corner. Also (and this is big for me) as it is a bit more rigid, it hugs the phone tighter. This is fine but i have a Phantom Skinz screen only cover and as the case moves around in your pocket, it tends to get up against the edges of the cover, pulling it up from the screen. VERY annoying and may be a deal breaker for me pretty soon.

As for the soft silicone jelly case, it sits a bit looser so it does not push up on my wife's screen protector. Additionally, it has slightly thicker areas at each corner which I am sure will make a huge difference in a drop. My wife is a klutz and has dropped it twice already with nary an issue. I'll post a link at the bottom and you can see in the pics on Amazon what i am talking about. As for the cons, well, it has a textured finish which is great for gripping holding the phone, but TERRIBLE for getting in and out of a pocket...especially jeans.

We will probably stick with these for the time being and they are both definite upgrades to the Body Glove case (i had...meh) and that ugly white monster that Sprint was selling (that my wife got and just looked bad).

Amazon.com: Amzer Silicone Skin Jelly Case for HTC EVO 4G (Maroon Red): Cell…

tinybfk

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I have the silicon case and a TPU case and have had both for a few weeks now. I want to do a video "review" on both of them after a few weeks of wear. I would suggest the TPU case all the way and I will try to make my craptastic attempt at a video review on both soon if anyone cares to see how they look after a few weeks of real world use. Until then if your debating between the two I would suggest the TPU case as it will last you a bit longer. Good mini review by the way.