Simple $3 DIY snap on vent mount (works with or without case)

tracerit

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I've always liked the simple use of the Garmin GPS clipping system, you just snap the unit in and that's it. When I saw the Kensington mounting system, I was ecstatic but then disappointed to find out that it would not work with my Seidio Innocase. I ended up staying with my MOBI vent mount but the vent clips aren't secure enough and the whole unit slides around when I turn and go over bumps so I went on ebay to purchased a Garmin GPS vent mount to use the coiled spring vent clips so it'll hug the vent. Turns out those spring clips don't attach to my MOBI vent mount. At this time I figured I'd just disassemble the two and get a $60 solution from ProClips. This is when I discovered my perfect solution. I just took a piece of foam from the MOBI unit and taped it to the wider clip of the Garmin GPS clipping unit and now my EVO holds securely with or without my Seidio case. I've included a video:

YouTube - $3 DIY vent mount for EVO 4G

So I pretty much just bought this GPS vent mount from ebay user chxee (seems to be the only one selling them for cheap starting at 99cents. I got mine for $2.75, I've seen some going for just 99cent free shipping.)
Garmin air vent mount nuvi 255w

The foam piece can be purchased from a crafts store.

Anyways, here are the pics:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1