Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Thumbs up Best thing for EVO lens scratches

The lens sticks out the back of the phone and is flush mount with the housing. Dumb idea from a brilliant phone. I ditched my bulky case because I love how slim the phone is. These guys are doing a buy one get one free in every box for this clever idea! I wish HTC would just include this with the phone...

Amazon.com: Cell Phone Camera Lens Protector (2 PER Box, Protects the Exposed Camera Lens From Scratches and Damage for the HTC Sprint Evo and Verizon Droid Incredible Without the Need for a Bulky Case). Easy Installation and Allows the Back Cover to
    Thanked by:

That's a neat way to handle it. One of the members here came up with their own solution using a blister pack from a pharmacy.

I originally purchased the hard case for my EVO to protect the lens when I set it down on my desk, but now I like it more for the grip. This looks to be a good option for those that like to go naked. . .

ROM
    Stock for now

That is a good idea. I would use something like that if I didn't need to protect my phone. But with a 2 year running around I need to stay with my case

Global Posts
    185 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Droid_fan_Evo View Post
    The lens sticks out the back of the phone and is flush mount with the housing. Dumb idea from a brilliant phone. I ditched my bulky case because I love how slim the phone is. These guys are doing a buy one get one free in every box for this clever idea! I wish HTC would just include this with the phone...
    Quite cool - do you know if the HTC skin case will still fit over it once it is affixed to the back of the rear battery casing? I would still want to use the case on the weekends when wearing jeans or shorts but when I'm wearing a suit or slacks during the week, I would prefer to have a sleeker profile on my phone.
    If my post helped you just a little bit, please take a second to hit the "THANKS" button just under this text to the right.

Palm V --> Palm Vx + OmniSky --> Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 (free upgrade) --> Treo 700p (free upgrade again!) --> HTC Touch Pro (never WinMo again) --> HTC Evo (love Android; hope never to have a reason to change again)...

Really good idea!
    I only use a case for this reason.

ROM
    Team Venom v1.2

What I have done was to cut a small piece of Velcro, and placed it just below the lense.
    Resident Ringtone Maker

Global Posts
    7,030 Global Posts
    ROM
    BB JB

Anything you put between optics and a subject distorts the image quality, etc.
    This is no different. I don't worry about scratches on my phone, etc.

That be said, I think it would be cool if filters would be made for camera phones.

ROM
    CM7 7.0.3.1

Quote Originally Posted by tony bag o donuts View Post
    Anything you put between optics and a subject distorts the image quality, etc.
    This is no different. I don't worry about scratches on my phone, etc.

That be said, I think it would be cool if filters would be made for camera phones.
    it puts nothing between the optics and the subjects, its just a raised ring to protect the lens from impact!!

I think its an awesome idea and i might have to get one.... only reason i have a case really is to protect the camera
    Resident Ringtone Maker

Global Posts
    7,030 Global Posts
    ROM
    BB JB

My bad...but still a waste....So it protects something made of gorilla glass when you lay it down.....won't protect it when you have a key etc, in your pocket and it hits it....Just my 2 cents.

Added:

All three reviews are within 24 hrs of each other and that is their only reviews on amazon.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

It looks like they just started selling this thing. Cheap enough I got one on order. They give you two... One for your SO? lol. It's tight enough, I think a case will fit around it, too. It's a pretty simple solution but a huge benefit. My lens already has scratches on it, hopefully this will stop it from getting more. Doesn't appear to effect optics at all!

Global Posts
    1,188 Global Posts
    ROM
    Never Stock

Quote Originally Posted by tony bag o donuts View Post
    My bad...but still a waste....So it protects something made of gorilla glass when you lay it down.....won't protect it when you have a key etc, in your pocket and it hits it....Just my 2 cents.

Added:

All three reviews are within 24 hrs of each other and that is their only reviews on amazon.
    I don't think they use Gorilla Glass to cover the lense. If they did, it wouldn't get scratched up they way it does.
    -Stay thirsty my friends.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Thumbs up Lens scratching and gorilla glass

Just to clarify a misconception-

Gorilla Glass is Dow Cornings trade name for the glass used on the touchscreen of many phones. It's not cheap, so it serves no purpose for just covering a camera lens. Therefore, most lens, and lens covers (which also can be glass) are recessed on phones and cameras. The HTC EVO and the HTC Droid Incredible have a flaw in that the lens or lens cover is flush with the frame. Some people are fine with this, many are not, many have seen it scratch.

The Lens Protector seems to provide a solution to prevent scratches and/or stop future scratches. I have it, it works, I'm at peace.

HTC had two choices (1) Keep the EVO 's as flat as possible while using a 8mp camera. (2) Make it bulky without the lens sticking out of the back. I guess they choose to make the phones as flat as possible.

Ps. If anything should happen to the lens cover on the back - your insurance does cover that. Don't worry too much, Sprint replaces screens and phones 7 out of 10 times... and a reported 2 out of 100 times for the lens cover.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Smile lens protector review - from Good and Evo

So I found this review floating around the other day. I think it nicely sums the product up, but interesting... the designer of the product is offering a discount to readers of this blog.

Review: HTC EVO camera lens protector