Facebook will put ads in Home for Android, just not at launch

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Seriously?? this is why i wont use it
Facebook has often been coy about its monetization strategies, but the company has confirmed that ads will be coming to Home for Android, the launcher it debuted today. "There are no ads in this yet, I'm sure that one day there will be," said Mark Zuckerberg when asked about how Facebook Home would make money. Another member of the team clarified that ads would be coming to Cover Feed, though they won't be there when the app launches on April 12th.
Source: Facebook will put ads in Home for Android, just not at launch | The Verge

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
It would be much smarter for them to charge a buck or two for the launcher instead of putting ads in it. Facebook has always had trouble with the advertising revenue model, and that won't end with this d*ck move.

Greigyboii

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I think it sounds like a great concept, but having ads is thee worst! Sadly it is in Facebook's business model, so we have no chance of getting rid :(

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I think it sounds like a great concept, but having ads is thee worst! Sadly it is in Facebook's business model, so we have no chance of getting rid :(

We do, by not using this launcher. I'm surprised they haven't done this with their app.

If they wanna make money on it, make it a paid launcher and make it half decent.

This is from me, on my EVO 3D.

Tronstar

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if they (Facebook) would consider leaving the facebook phone (HTC One and any subsequent models) as ad free. This would give people who really value the service another reason to get the actual phone, instead of the play store app. Facebook is probably going to be pulling a revenue stream off the hardware sales anyways. The thought of a phone's STOCK launcher having embedded ads disgusts me (OK maybe that's a little strong...)

I'll stick to a luancher without apps, I already have a few paid ones anyways :).

Tronstar

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Is this just for desktop? Facebook better not be forcing data eating video ads over mobile networks. I would uninstall from my phone if that was the case...

Tronstar

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
From article - "is working out ways to display video ads on mobile devices". Like I said above, if these are forced on me while on data, I will uninstall.

Tronstar

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Do you REALLY need or even want a facebook home screen launcher?

Myself, no. But this sounds like it may be implemented within the regular mobile app as well, since they are putting it on the desktop.

Another question (no consequence to me, but just interested), Can Facebook Home be uninstalled or disabled from HTC First (without rooting/flashing etc)? Some people may be stuck with these ads with no way out!

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Myself, no. But this sounds like it may be implemented within the regular mobile app as well, since they are putting it on the desktop.

Another question (no consequence to me, but just interested), Can Facebook Home be uninstalled or disabled from HTC First (without rooting/flashing etc)? Some people may be stuck with these ads with no way out!

If they're gonna get that phone its solely because of Facebook Home. The specs are nothing to brag about.

Tronstar

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
If they're gonna get that phone its solely because of Facebook Home. The specs are nothing to brag about.

For the price ($450 outright), the specs are actually pretty decent; this of course is not considering the nexus 4, which is an anomaly for price to specs..

But some people buying this phone may not be as tech savvy as us on these forums. Seems a bit unfair: they play with the phone in store, like it, buy it with their hard earned cash, and then have ads forced on their homescreen in a few weeks after some update rolls out? Again not my problem, but seems like yet another ****** move from facebook.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

HTC First is a no go for me. but you can replace the Home by installing 3rd party launcher.
$450 for First with low spec, $300 for nexus 4 with very good spec? I will stick with Nexus 4

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catherinediane