Facebook Home | The True Power Of The Dark Side

h0ruza#AC

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Facebook Home is the greatest thing to happen to android since the Holo UI/UX.

Now before this thread starts a forum fire of Facebook pros and cons I say the above statement hand on heart but my reasoning has nothing to do with Facebook itself.

Please watch the video article from the verge and then let me know what you see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeHfyPnu3C8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I saw Facebook home last week and unlike the majority of the smartphone blog world I saw this as the most accomplished launcher developed to date. Where everybody saw the nightmare of being fed endless baby pictures and cras statements I saw an escape from TW, Sense and any other over the top and unimaginative UI a brand chooses to force on us.

After watching the above video article the realisation that androids true power has been found by Facebook Devs who let's face it served up the worst Facebook experience for Android users hit me and made me smile.

For a moment forget the endless kitten pictures and the fact that some of the "friends" you have on Facebook you don't really consider to be friends and their posts make your skin crawl.

Forget that!

These Devs wanted to do something new with chat/messaging and despite "the failings android is supposed to have" it was possible on Android first and foremost. Chat heads losses is punch if it's only available within the Facebook app (IOS) and can you see the same working on Windows? Not before Facebook home gets to a more refined version 2.

I see this as a doorway for all Devs to create better smartphone experiences that don't need to be ROMs struggling to make the camera work without the driver source code (exynos for example). Why void a warranty at all when a new and deeper UI/UX can be achieved through the means of and app from the play store? That's not to say this is easier at all but it must be better that hit a brick wall all the time and getting frustrated at manufacturers interpretation of open source.

I'll have to be honest with you I have Jelly bean on my i9305 but it means nothing to me if I can't use photosphere or have lockscreen widgets. When Samsung is done stripping out the Google from the Android version you wonder why you were screaming for the upgrade.

Oh great I have the latest Api's and I can hover over the phone screen making a previous task a second slower than simply long pressing or hit the menu/action button...

Now I'm fine with it because Android's true power has been illustrated for all to see and I only hope a revolution in thinking comes sooner rather than later for when I upgrade in two years time to whatever phone I like because the UI/UX I want is a download away.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad