Facebook App missing all sorts of functions?

pjmerrigan

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys,

Anyone else experiences this? Since the "new"-style Facebook a few months back, the "more" tab (which should allow me to select 'Most recent' etc) is missing almost everything on my HTC One (M7). I've attached a pic of what I'm seeing. As you can see, it's missing Feeds, Favourites, etc... And it's not like they only recently disappeared. I've never had these options.

Phone: HTC One M7, rooted but still running stock rom / Android 4.3, Sense 5.5.

I haven't been able to find any information on this anywhere... Any clues how I can fix this? I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling, clearing cache, clearing app data... I've tried various APKs, and it still keeps coming back the same...

Attachments

• facebook1.jpg
    facebook1.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 8

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried the "Edit Favorites" Option? I remember another user having a similar problem (not as barren as your list, though...wow!) and the option would appear on the Edit page. He just deselected/reselected them and he had the options back. It's worth a shot.

pjmerrigan

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
Hi Spook. Thanks. Yeah, tried that numerous times - forgot to mention that in the OP. When I hit "Edit Favorites" I get a "No network connection. Please try again later" notice. It's the only one I get that on; everything else works as normal.

Additionally, I'm not sure if it matters, but as you can see from the top of the screenshot above, my profile picture is missing, too. Could all be connected? I've been trying to figure this out for months with no success - App settings, Account settings, reinstalls, etc. I'm basically using the FB app for its notifications, and then using the mobile site to access FB itself. Sucks a bit.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm... Have you tried signing out of the account, NOT deleting app data, rebooting, and logging back in?

Maybe a privacy setting in your account? I mean, I definitely think your info missing and not being able to edit your favorites with the 'no connection' legend is related, I just don't know HOW. I assume you've tried this on WiFi and mobile data, right? (this would eliminate a firewall or port issue with your router).

I would try checking your settings to make sure your phone is not restricting this particular app's background data (although it shouldn't matter since you're actively using the app).

Does your phone come with a built-in FB account (some Samsung devices do, don't know if it's the same for HTC). If so, try logging out of all the FB instances in the Accounts section first, see if that helps.

PS: Before the FB app became semi-usable, I used Friendcaster. It has notification capabilities (I think Push ones now, even) although aesthetically it has really fallen behind, but it's worth a try if this is getting you frustrated.

pjmerrigan

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
Thanks again Spook. Yep, tried that too. I'll stop myself from saying I've "tried everything" because clearly there's something I haven't tried - something that will fix it lol.

Thanks for the Friendcaster heads up - downloaded and tried it... And now maybe we're getting somewhere: Friendcaster can't access the news feed but it CAN access my profile. Odd. On news feed, I'm seeing this now:

Code:
Unable to process this request.

failed to connect to
api.facebook.com/127.0.0.1 (port 443):
connection failed: ECONNREFUSED
(Connection refused)

That'll indicate a port issue, I'm guessing? Maybe FB app has a similar issue but just doesn't want to tell me...

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Aha! Info!

That message can pop up due to one of two things:
1) Port access/IP access. Your router is blocking traffic to this address and/or port. Your phone might be blocking this too if you have a VPN-like app installed or a data-monitoring app that takes an aggressive approaach.
2) Privacy settings. Something in your privacy settings is keeping these apps from accessing your account. Off the top of my head I can't remember any setting that would prevent you from accessing your own profile, though. I know some settings can prevent you from accessing data from your friends' profiles through mobile, but not your own AFAIK. But you never know.

My next test would be to either get a friend to log into their FB account in your phone (if it works, you know it's not the app, it's your account) or to get a friend whose phone and app you know to be working let you log onto FB with your account (if it works, you know it's not your account, it's the app or phone).

pjmerrigan

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
Aha! Info!

That message can pop up due to one of two things:
1) Port access/IP access. Your router is blocking traffic to this address and/or port. Your phone might be blocking this too if you have a VPN-like app installed or a data-monitoring app that takes an aggressive approaach.
Hmm. Router reset and no luck. I don't have any active VPN running and the only "monitoring" app I have is One Power Guard which monitors battery activity at a kernel level. Nothing untoward, but I tried shutting it off, rebooting and relogging in to Facebook. No luck.

2) Privacy settings. Something in your privacy settings is keeping these apps from accessing your account. Off the top of my head I can't remember any setting that would prevent you from accessing your own profile, though. I know some settings can prevent you from accessing data from your friends' profiles through mobile, but not your own AFAIK. But you never know.
I've had a poke around but can't see anything out of the ordinary with any privacy settings. It remains a mystery. I'll log in to FB on a friend's Android phone and report back. Thanks for all your help!

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
No problem, and please do report back if you have any luck. I'm intrigued to know if this is a phone issue or if it's an isolated case.

pjmerrigan

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
No problem, and please do report back if you have any luck. I'm intrigued to know if this is a phone issue or if it's an isolated case.

Now we're getting somewhere! Still don't know how to solve the issue, but I've narrowed it down. I logged in on my friend's phone and everything was normal, just as it should be. Then I had my friend log in on my phone and it was identical to what I was seeing on my phone (ie the screenshot above with limited options). So now we know it's a phone issue, but I still can't figure out why. I'm loathe to do a factory reset. I've rooted the phone but stayed with the stock ROM. Maybe I should try a new ROM? I've been through settings and developer settings and can't see anything out of the ordinary. It has pretty much got me stumped...

UPDATE: SOLVED! (Just in case my other post doesn't appear - it's awaiting moderation for some reason) Turns out it was Ad Away blocking access to Facebook for some obscure reason. I've whitelisted Facebook API and we're a-okay! Thanks for your help, Spook!

Last edited:

pjmerrigan

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
Freakin' hell! I've sorted it!

I don't know why I just thought of it now, but I'm running AdAway to block ads... Switched it off, reloaded Facebook and viola, Facebook is back to 'normal'. How is that even possible? Anyway, I have whitelisted api.facebook.com and we're all good!

Thanks for all your help, Spook. Still confused why it would have happened in the first place, but problem is solved :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463