Samsung Accessory Review: Desktop Dock

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
This is the first, in a series of reviews I'm writing, for the OEM accessories available for the Fascinate. 1st up is the desktop dock.

This package includes the dock and wall charger. It retails for $39.99.

This first shot is the front view of the dock. The dock is made of shiny black plastic, but has a solid feel to it, with rubber "grips" on the bottom to prevent it from sliding around:

FrontView.jpg

It is aesthetically pleasing and blends well with the Fascinate when cradled. There is a soft blue light on the front that illuminates while cradled & plugged into an AC outlet. However, the fact that it doesn't cover the entire back of the phone is just weird. It appears it was designed this way to prevent the speaker from being covered up.

While cradled, it is impossible to access the volume rocker. The volume rocker, as you may know, is on the left side of the phone where the phone attaches to the dock. More than once, I became frustrated that I could not adjust the volume of an audiobook, song, or video without removing the Fascinate from the cradle.

cradled.jpg

Lowering the back panel by just a few millimeters, and extending the side, would have added increased stability while allowing the speaker to operate without interference.

RearViewCradled.jpg

The 3.5 mm jack - for whatever reason - will not be operable until Froyo is released. This is odd, since the Epic cradle is compatible with 2.1.

CominginFroyo-1.png

By far, my biggest concern is stability of the Fascinate while cradled. The Fascinate attaches to the cradle via the charging port. Slight pressure to the backside of the phone will easily "wiggle the phone" while cradled. I can only imagine the damage this could potentially do to the charging port.

desktopcradleflimsy.jpg

Overall, I'm not impressed with this particular accessory and would not recommend it due to significant design flaws and the inability to access the volume rocker. At 39.99, this is a pricey item considering these 2 issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: thisonesays

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I completely agree. Although, I paid less than $25 for the dock due to an accessories discount, I will probably sell it on ebay. I bought the dock for my nightstand, but even on the lowest brightness setting it illuminates the entire room, so I end up just turning the display off.

jrkrace

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Wow...I thought the dock was kind of cool. Prevents me from fumbling with the cord when I hook up the phone and the room is dark. I guess I'm spoiled by the BlackBerry docks that you drop the phone on.

thrillhouse847

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
I would like to know if a Fascinate with an extended battery would fit into this dock at all. And if it did, perhaps it would even be more secure? If the extended battery thickens the phone up a bit isn't it possible that extra thickness could fill that gap between the back of the phone and the face of the dock?

I ordered an extended battery online and am semi-interested in this dock as well but will not buy it if it won't fit my soon to be bigger Fascinate.

namebrandon

Sep 8, 2010
www.sunny16.org
I'm with you. It's nice that it sits there and looks pretty on my desk, but functionally it's pretty useless. I think I would've preferred just buying an extra USB cable and and a cheapo generic dock for it to sit in.

dbdynsty25

May 1, 2010
Visit site
It retails for $29.99 doesn't it? That's what the price tag says on my box and I got it for around 23 bucks after my accessory discount through my office which is 20%. In fact, just looking at the Verizon site now, it says $29.99 as well. I wonder if they lowered the price or something from the time you got it. I got mine on Saturday from a retail store.

I agree overall the dock isn't that great, but it still works as it should. I just use it as a bedside table thing to dock the phone while I'm sleeping, so there is virtually no chance I go and ruin the charging port and I don't listen to audio books or anything so that part is moot as well. Given the fact that the phone's back cover scratches so easy, anything to get the phone up off a table that might (or definitely does) have dust on it is a good idea. And for 23 bucks, it's not too bad. Though the blue charging light is REALLY bright for the bedside...I had to cover that up with a piece of electrical tape. It lights up my whole room at night.

And for a generic stand, I've got an EZE Stand that I use at my office...works nicely because it's all padded so there isn't a chance for it to scratch. I just with the Samsung switched to the Dock mode by magnet like the Droids do.

namebrandon

Sep 8, 2010
www.sunny16.org
Has anyone gotten the device to work over USB with this dock? I'm just getting around to trying it, and while it charges via USB, computer doesn't see the phone. I plug the phone directly in via USB, and it works like a charm.

Melvil

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
So I was thinking I might get away with using the desktop dock as a holder in my car. I've got a nice flat dash that would be perfect to just attach one of these to. After reading this thread it's clear it would be nowhere near sturdy enough, but I really would like to avoid a windshield mounted holder, which is mostly what I'm finding. Anyone have a suggestion for an alternative dock/stand that would hold my Fascinate similarly to the desktop dock and be appropriate for car use?

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech