USB Bluetooth file transfer?

xteife

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Anyone have any luck transferring files to or from the Fascinate via Bluetooth?

I got this neat little USB/Bluetooth adapter from iogear that seems well developed, but after installing it on any of my PCs, it only allows a few of the features. PIM Sync and Audio Gateway (I think) only.

IOGear support tells me the phone tells the app what it will allow, thus file transfer is not available. I however can choose to send a pic on the phone to Bluetooth, but it errors out with something like remote device did not authorize file transfer or somesuch...

Thoughts?

Thanks.

- G

joebob2000

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
I have gotten BT file transfer to work with the toshiba BT adapter in my dell laptop. In my experience bluetooth is very receiver-specific, if the drivers don't have the right capability it won't work even if your phone has the feature.

Add to that, the drivers for my laptop make it somewhat absurd to do file transfers in an efficient way. I just updated them so they would work with my BT headset, and in doing so the phone got a ton harder to use. Previously the windows file transfer app was all i needed to send/receive to the phone, and now i need to pair the devices by forcing the connection to start on my phone, then do the file transfer start from the phone, then ack the transfer on my PC.

In short, the phone does BT file transfers (its android, of course it "does") but the hassle involved is nowhere near worth it. Just get out your USB cable, its a lot faster anyway.

xteife

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, but you bring up another point - the USB cable. This would be ideal, but my XP pc never sees the phone to give it a drive letter. I've installed the drivers for the phone, mounted the card when the phone recognizes that the cable's plugged in, enabled and disabled USB debugging, changed the option for the SD card when connected, etc.

Any known tricks for getting Windows to see the phone/card?

joebob2000

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, but you bring up another point - the USB cable. This would be ideal, but my XP pc never sees the phone to give it a drive letter. I've installed the drivers for the phone, mounted the card when the phone recognizes that the cable's plugged in, enabled and disabled USB debugging, changed the option for the SD card when connected, etc.

Any known tricks for getting Windows to see the phone/card?

So the phone is in "mass storage" mode and you tell it to mount the drive but the letter doesn't show up? Its most likely that it for some ungodly reason decided it wanted the letter of some other drive on the system, and in a fit of e-rage opted to not pick a letter at all.

This is common in XP when dealing with removable disks. Right click on my computer (on the desktop or in the start menu) and go to manage. In that window find "disk management" and look in the list for the phone's SD card. If it shows up in the list, right click it to assign a drive letter.

Hope this helps!

xteife

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
So the phone is in "mass storage" mode and you tell it to mount the drive but the letter doesn't show up?

Yes.

Right click on my computer (on the desktop or in the start menu) and go to manage. In that window find "disk management" and look in the list for the phone's SD card. If it shows up in the list, right click it to assign a drive letter.

Just tried it again. USB Connected, Mounted the disk, Debugging on... +5 minutes. No noticeable recognition by Windows. No disk listed in Disk Management aside from C: and D: (CD).

Even borrowed a colleagues USB cable.

Tried again and turned debugging off. Re-plugged USB cable. Now phone doesn't even recognize that it's plugged in other than being charged.

I hate this ****. Something so gd simple...

niebling

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Re: USB Bluetooth file transfer? Samsung Fascinate; SOLUTION

Anyone have any luck transferring files to or from the Fascinate via Bluetooth?

I got this neat little USB/Bluetooth adapter from iogear that seems well developed, but after installing it on any of my PCs, it only allows a few of the features. PIM Sync and Audio Gateway (I think) only.

IOGear support tells me the phone tells the app what it will allow, thus file transfer is not available. I however can choose to send a pic on the phone to Bluetooth, but it errors out with something like remote device did not authorize file transfer or somesuch...

Thoughts?

Thanks.

- G

This is how you do this:
I am using win7x64, but this should work with vista too... Download the USB drivers for your USB Dongle and install on windows. After rebooting, you should be able to see the Bluetooth icon in your tray... Click on it and make sure that your settings (checkboxes) allow your PC to be discovered. Check all the boxes. Now attempt to connect and pair to your phone.
1) Manage Apps > Wireless > Bluetooth Setting > check Make Visible. Now you have 3 mins to connect so work quickly. Make sure that Bluetooth is turned on (on your phone...).
2) Click on the Bluetooth icon in your tray and click add device. Your device should then be discovered by your PC. An icon will appear and you can right click > Add Device. Hit Next and your device will be added to your Devices and Printers in the Control Panel. Once this is done you are good to go because for the Fascinate, no PINs or Passwords are necessary.

3) Now for the phone. I downloaded Bluetooth File Transfer from the Market. I did not need this app to receive a file. This was done simply by using my Bluetooth app on my PC to "Send File" ... I just had to select the device that I had added when it popped up and then accept the transfer on my phone when prompted. Easy enough
4) Sending files from the phone was a bit more difficult, because I had to learn how to use the application... Open the application. Make sure your Bluetooth is on and discoverable (on the phone...).
The phone will mount the SD card and the list of folders will be visible. If you want to transfer pictures then you can navigate to the DCIM folder and select which pictures you want by checking the boxes. Taps... not long push...
Now set your PC up to receive the files: hit the bluetooth icon and click 'Receive File' ; Windows is now waiting for your phone to initiate a send operation.
Once the file(s) are selected then hit the Menu Button on your phone > More > Send File(s) by Bluetooth.
That's it... The send operation progress will send the files to the root of your User directory or to the Documents folder or some other place where downloads are configured to go... for my computer it is admin\downloads\ but for some reason all the files ended up in the root of the Users\admin directory.

It took some playing, but I finally got it to work real easy.

At first I kept getting a message that the device that I was sending to did not have the FTP OBEX or OPP protocols available. Well apparently a little persistence paid off.

Ken

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34