Music - Music - Music

Imnutsnj

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Simple rules:

Can anyone name any 3 modern groups/artists combined with more hits than any one group/artist from my generation (Elvis Presley, The Beatles/Paul McCartney, John Lennon, George Harrison and Ringo Starr(remember they also did some solo work) or Michael Jackson/The Jackson 5). Good luck!

Frank

Sent telepathically from my padded cell via an HTC DROID DNA

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Simple rules:

Can anyone name any 3 modern groups/artists combined with more hits than any one group/artist from my generation (Elvis Presley, The Beatles/Paul McCartney, John Lennon, George Harrison and Ringo Starr(remember they also did some solo work) or Michael Jackson/The Jackson 5). Good luck!

Frank

I don't understand this game. What happens after I answer it?

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.

Imnutsnj

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand this game. What happens after I answer it?

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.

Hello gnr_2, I've seen you in a few of the other posts I've been involved in. Nice of you to stop by. Anyhow, there's nothing to win since there is no answer. There will NEVER be a current artist or group that could match what the three I mentioned have done for a few reasons. 1) With any of the above, everybody listened to them from 5 to 65 (generally speaking) 2) It was so much different then, it all had meaning 3) Seems everyone today is a one or two hit wonder 4) There are not any shows anymore that show new artists, just no publicity anymore unless they do something stupid (remember shows like Ed Sullivan and Midnight Express?).

I'm glad to see that singer songwriters are coming back, but without publicity they're not going to get far.

Edit: Just an FYI, if you put all of the Beatles hits, including what they did solo back to back (instead of consecutively) they would have been on the billboard charts for 35 consecutive years, that's something that will never be accomplished again.

Last edited:

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
The three of them combined still didn't do it, not even close. Did you know if you put all of the Beatles /Paul McCartney hits on the charts back to back instead of many at once, as was often the case, he/ they by what I understand would have been on the billboard charts for 35 consecutive years. Even if it were just 5 it would have been incredible. As far as Michael Jackson "Thriller" best selling album in the history of music, not to mention all of his hit singles and Elvis would take me make this one of those threads that read like a book lol Madonna had a large following, but really only a handful of charting hits and Mariah (one of my all time favorites) and Celine weren't much different. We can continue this in the MUSIC - MUSIC - MUSIC topic I started over in the forum games section of AC. I would appreciate if one of the moderators could move this to there so we don't keep this thread off topic thanks.

Frank

Droid, although Madonna started in 1979 I'll give it to you because she became popular in the mid 80's, just like Elvis started in the 50's. I take my hat off to you my friend, according to Billboard Madonna is the number two best selling artist of all time, second only to the Beatles WOW! I loved her music in the 80s and had no idea she sold that many. CONGRATULATIONS AGAIN DROIDX AWESOME!

Thanks imnutsnj,
Yeah 80's into the mid 90's did have some undeniable powerhouses. Whitney houston was one of the. Unfortunately he life took a horrible turn at some point, its such a shame she was really classy and was on top of the work until she met bobby brown. I loved hall and oates , phil colins. Lionelle Ritchie although he was a product of the 70s he spilt over significantly into the 80's.
Aerosmith has had ridiculously longevity although they have become watered down.

But all of them pale in comparison of the potency of the golden age. For good reason aswell from the 50's and 60's all that music was novel and fresh to everyone and exposure was very potent. Tv didn't have hundreds of channels as we do now, everyone was watch ed Sullivan or American band stand. 80's and mid 90's had VH1 and MTV, but even they stopped playing music.

Nowadays music is a different animal entirely. There is so much out there that it is tough to find quality in the sea of media that panders to Prepubescent America. Our youth is emotionally crippled, they know to much and understand to little.
You can see this from the content of the music. Little girls 11 yrs singing about their "milkshake bringing the boys to the yard" if that is not an example of knowing to much and understanding to little I don't know what is.

.... end rant

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

Imnutsnj

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Wow! I forgot all about Hall and Oates, I still love their music.
Your point about the limited tv channels was spot on. Back then we had a limited number of channels, but there was always something to watch and we did it as a family, today we have thousands of channels and it's difficult to find a show that you can't wait until next week when it comes back on. Do you remember SOAP? Boy, talk about ahead of its time(this wasn't one of those family shows lol).
Your not kidding about those 11 year olds and even younger singing along with this obscene music not having a clue about what they're talking about. It started in New Wave, then rap music just took it to another level, now it's in all music.

nancyt22

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
I don't think any groups could top these....I too am from this era...I also enjoyed Roy Orbison and The Traveling Wilburys, The Everly Brothers to mention a few. Nt

Imnutsnj

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I don't think any groups could top these....I too am from this era...I also enjoyed Roy Orbison and The Traveling Wilburys, The Everly Brothers to mention a few. Nt

It was a time when music meant something. One of the members of this forum did actually find someone, Madonna, she is number two in all time record sales. Number one of course is the Beatles.