Q Wander quirks so far

TJH132

May 5, 2010
Visit site
The mailman dropped off the new Q Wander today. This is my second Android Wear smartwatch; the first was the OG Moto 360 that I have used and abused for two years. It was finally starting to act up, though it's still surprising robust and the battery would last through a long workday.

My initial thoughts on the Wander are a bit mixed:

1. The silicone band is incredibly supple and a bit stretchy. I have to back off a couple holes otherwise I can wrench it too tight on my wrist.

2. The case is a tad taller than the 360, but the lug placement allows it sit very nicely on the wrist.

3. Compared to the 360 (and especially my wife's 2nd Gen), it is really small! The bezels are larger and the screen is smaller: 1/8" inch smaller in diameter to be precise. Not good on my aging eyes; I had to bump up the font to make it comfortably readable.

4. The charger is causing me problems: During setup, it asks to be connected to power. When I did (using the Moto wall wart), I got no response from the watch. I tried a Samsung wart from a tablet, no luck. I plugged it in to a powered USB hub and FINALLY got it to start charging! After setup, I took it off the charger to play with it and when I returned it, no luck! I moved it to the Moto wart and it started up again. Am I doing something wrong? Seems like it doesn't automatically start charging like the 360 did. It began charging most recently when I pressed the side button.

5. The flat tire: I don't care about the flat tire. I like the flat tire. I especially like what it's there for in the first place: Ambient light sensor. Only, I don't think this watch has an Ambient light sensor! At least in the settings under 'brightness,' it only lists 1 through 5 with no 'auto' like the 360. Hmmm...

6. Most frustrating of all: I can't get all my favorite apps to sync to the watch! I use Keep and Cartwheel for shopping and Tinycammonitor Pro for webcam viewing. Next to Hangouts, those are my most used apps and I can't get them to come across to the watch. I've pressed 'resych apps' three different times, rebooted the watch, uninstalled/reinstalled Keep and Cartwheel to no avail.

Any thoughts?

TJH

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the input! Regarding app syncing--what happens if you uninstall those apps from the phone, then reinstall them?

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
The mailman dropped off the new Q Wander today. This is my second Android Wear smartwatch; the first was the OG Moto 360 that I have used and abused for two years. It was finally starting to act up, though it's still surprising robust and the battery would last through a long workday.

My initial thoughts on the Wander are a bit mixed:

1. The silicone band is incredibly supple and a bit stretchy. I have to back off a couple holes otherwise I can wrench it too tight on my wrist.

2. The case is a tad taller than the 360, but the lug placement allows it sit very nicely on the wrist.

3. Compared to the 360 (and especially my wife's 2nd Gen), it is really small! The bezels are larger and the screen is smaller: 1/8" inch smaller in diameter to be precise. Not good on my aging eyes; I had to bump up the font to make it comfortably readable.

4. The charger is causing me problems: During setup, it asks to be connected to power. When I did (using the Moto wall wart), I got no response from the watch. I tried a Samsung wart from a tablet, no luck. I plugged it in to a powered USB hub and FINALLY got it to start charging! After setup, I took it off the charger to play with it and when I returned it, no luck! I moved it to the Moto wart and it started up again. Am I doing something wrong? Seems like it doesn't automatically start charging like the 360 did. It began charging most recently when I pressed the side button.

5. The flat tire: I don't care about the flat tire. I like the flat tire. I especially like what it's there for in the first place: Ambient light sensor. Only, I don't think this watch has an Ambient light sensor! At least in the settings under 'brightness,' it only lists 1 through 5 with no 'auto' like the 360. Hmmm...

6. Most frustrating of all: I can't get all my favorite apps to sync to the watch! I use Keep and Cartwheel for shopping and Tinycammonitor Pro for webcam viewing. Next to Hangouts, those are my most used apps and I can't get them to come across to the watch. I've pressed 'resych apps' three different times, rebooted the watch, uninstalled/reinstalled Keep and Cartwheel to no avail.

Any thoughts?

TJH

Welcome to Android Central!

Did you ever figure out the issue?

TJH132

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Simple patience! It was hours before all the apps showed up on the watch. Never seems to take as long with the Moto 360.

popartist

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the report! I am also looking at this watch to replace my OG Moto 360, I have petite wrists and like gold metal watches, and this one is more reasonably priced than the few others out there. I am going to wait a little while longer and see what others are saying though because my 360 is still working well and Android Wear 2.0 has been delayed, so no rush for something that will run it.

Last edited:

Daniel Tolman

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
I have a similar problem with a Q Founder and charging. I set it on the charger and it starts charging but only for about 10 mins. The charger and watch heat up and stops charging. It is driving me crazy.

I can't charge it in a single "seating" and it is taking me forever to get the charge up to 80% for some update the watch has and which I hope will fix this issue.

Did you ever find a solution for your issue?

TJH132

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Sorry for the late reply. Does the Founder come with the little puck that magnetically attaches to the bottom? Mine has continued to be troublesome (I really should have returned the watch in the first week). I have found that holding the puck a couple millimeters off the back and waiting for the charging indicator before allowing it to connect has worked most reliably. Still, a couple times a week, I wake with the watch only half charged, having disconnected at some point during the night.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad