1-Click-Root and Cyanogen Mod Questions

cr3amy

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
According to this xda thread, I can use VISIONary r14 to get 1-click-perm-root? This true? I also read over there that using Rage and doing S-Off manually is "better" in some way. This true?

Also, is Cyanogen Mod worth it? I read you can't do Wifi Calling with CM yet, any idea if that's true?

I've never perm-rooted a phone before, but I'm fairly technically savvy. The little things about the G2 are bugging me, and I'd be willing to see if CM makes my life better ;) I'm just a fan of 1-click stuff because I'd rather be fool-proof than first.

cr3amy

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
The one-click won't give you S-OFF, which you need for cyanogen. See the link in this thread for the steps I followed. I had no problems.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/g2-roms-hacks/45647-root.html

As for cyanogen I see no reason for it to me because the G2 is as bone stock android as it can get.

Thanks man. Any idea about wifi calling on CM?

I guess if CM doesn't really add or fix much compared to stock, there's no real reason for me to even bother with s-off, even if they release a one-click-root-and-s-off or whatever, huh?

I mean, I already went into the adb shell as su to keep the bloatware from loading or even being recognized (all you need is temp-root once and you can do it), so besides ditching the bloatware, not much else to gain huh?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I root all my phones. :p I ran CM6 for one day. It wasn't faster than stock, the quick launch buttons didn't work (or I couldn't figure out how to get them to work), and it wouldn't keep a stable UMTS connection like stock.

I don't need wifi calling so I didn't try it.

I rooted with S-OFF so that I could (one day) flash anything I want. For now I flashed bacon bits (basically the kernel from CM6 and some tweaks) and it's awesome. BTW the thread I linked to is dead simple to do. Read it carefully, though.