Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    638 Global Posts

Default 1-Click-Root and Cyanogen Mod Questions

According to this xda thread, I can use VISIONary r14 to get 1-click-perm-root? This true? I also read over there that using Rage and doing S-Off manually is "better" in some way. This true?

Also, is Cyanogen Mod worth it? I read you can't do Wifi Calling with CM yet, any idea if that's true?

I've never perm-rooted a phone before, but I'm fairly technically savvy. The little things about the G2 are bugging me, and I'd be willing to see if CM makes my life better I'm just a fan of 1-click stuff because I'd rather be fool-proof than first.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,232 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

The one-click won't give you S-OFF, which you need for cyanogen. See the link in this thread for the steps I followed. I had no problems.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/g2-r...5647-root.html

As for cyanogen I see no reason for it to me because the G2 is as bone stock android as it can get.
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.
    Thanked by:
    cr3amy 
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,232 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Now that it will have the gesture lock feature it may be worth looking in to.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    638 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by iamlilysdad View Post
    The one-click won't give you S-OFF, which you need for cyanogen. See the link in this thread for the steps I followed. I had no problems.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/g2-r...5647-root.html

As for cyanogen I see no reason for it to me because the G2 is as bone stock android as it can get.
    Thanks man. Any idea about wifi calling on CM?

I guess if CM doesn't really add or fix much compared to stock, there's no real reason for me to even bother with s-off, even if they release a one-click-root-and-s-off or whatever, huh?

I mean, I already went into the adb shell as su to keep the bloatware from loading or even being recognized (all you need is temp-root once and you can do it), so besides ditching the bloatware, not much else to gain huh?
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,232 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I root all my phones. I ran CM6 for one day. It wasn't faster than stock, the quick launch buttons didn't work (or I couldn't figure out how to get them to work), and it wouldn't keep a stable UMTS connection like stock.

I don't need wifi calling so I didn't try it.

I rooted with S-OFF so that I could (one day) flash anything I want. For now I flashed bacon bits (basically the kernel from CM6 and some tweaks) and it's awesome. BTW the thread I linked to is dead simple to do. Read it carefully, though.