S-Off no root?????

reggierox13

Banned
Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
so i decided to root my phone today and after two hours and nothing working i decided to ask for help. When i load into bootloader my phone says
"VISION PVT ENG S-OFF"
the rooting guide that i used says that if it says "S-OFF" you are rooted. But anything i do on the phone says i dont have superuser. Ive decided android 2.3 and rooting can wait, i just need to know how to get my phone back to normal. Ive tried factory data resets and when i go to bootloader it still says "VISION PVT ENG S-OFF". can someone who isnt rooted please help me. If your phone says the same thing then thank GOD. Thanks

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
You missed a step (or two) from the guide. I think it took me more than once to get it. It's been a while since I did it but if you follow the steps on XDA you will get it.

legendary1022

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
you are going to need to load a recovery such as clockwork and a ROM that has superuser built in. That way you can use the full features of having root. You need the superuser permissions in order for anything to work rooted. You might have missed a step or two.

Sent from my HTC Vision

reggierox13

Banned
Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
thanks. I ended up flashing cyanogenmod 7. then the phone got stuck in a boot loop, so i went into bootloader again and returned to factory settings. That did the trick for cyanogenmod and after using the phone that way for about an hour i decided i liked the stock rom better. i unrooted the phone

legendary1022

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Cyanogenmod 7 is not very stable and I'm sticking with 6.1.1 right now until they have everything working. There are some basic stock roms out there that will provide the root functions you may be looking for such as modaco. Since you have root might as well play around with a few. I would also try virtuous rom that has HTC sense on it. That is another one I would recommend a look

Sent from my HTC Vision