[How-To] Root your G2X

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
First read THIS ARTICLE BY GBHIL. That's Jerry for you podcast fans. :)

Still going to root? Ok...

These instructions are for Windows only.

You must have ADB installed. It's simple. Here's how:

1. Go HERE and download the EXE file.

2. Install once it's done downloading.

3. You don't need to install any packages. ADB comes with the initial install. For our purposes you don't need to know file paths for anything.

Next you will need to install the LG usb drivers for the phone. Here's how:

1. Download THIS file.

2. Extract it using a program like 7ZIP.

3. Install the program.

4. Plug the phone into the computer using the USB cable.

5. Open the program you just installed and click on install drivers.

Now that that's done we can move on to actually rooting your phone.

Make sure you have USB Debugging enabled. In your app drawer go to Settings>Applications>Development>check the box next to USB Debugging.

1. Go to THIS thread and skip to the bottom of the first post. You want to download the third file down (the bottom one). SuperOneClickv1.9.1-ShortFuse.zip

2. Extract the zip using 7Zip (or a similar program, but 7Zip is awesome).

3. Run the app.

4. Click Root.

5. Let it work. You'll know when it's done.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jesse_Krebs

roberte1342

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
This method is outdated and should be updated.
If you are on GB 2.3.3 (most likely are at this point) it will not work. Wasted an hour on this as the page it links to also is out of date.

Edit: Found this link over at XDA: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1255214
I'll post my results.

Edit2: These instructions worked flawlessly. It is a lot of steps but if you were like me and needed a way to effectively backup app data prior to installing a new ROM this is the route to take.

Last edited:

scarryman04

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm rooting this phone for a friend...you have to install CWMR before rooting? I have a OG Droid and my process was completely different.

Kinda confused because I thought you had to be rooted prior to flashing a custom recovery...

Estylo

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Yea i am kinda stuck too...I rooted the phone using the method from the OP.
This method doesn't install the Clockswork Recovery does it? Everytime i hold down the power button and vol down button it resets my whole phone....annoying!

CALIRENZ86

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
Hey i had rooted a custom rom my g2x...but win i was driving i was messing round with the recovery an was tryna go back to stock so i could redo rom....but datz win it got bricked did something wrong.....my screen is stuck on black an white lg logo...ive tried the nvflash but im using windows 7(thing said has to be xp)....win i try to flash stock my phone is not found so it stops........can anyone help me or tell me how to get my phone from unbricked using window 7 or does it have to be xp...kinda new to this so if helpful make it kindergarden talk lol

Hchave52

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Ok so i was able to download and install the APX driver, but when i try using the flash clockwork mod i get a black screen when im suppose to be seeing the S/W Update. Pls Help?

I do have GB 2.3.3.

GTWalling

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Ok so i was able to download and install the APX driver, but when i try using the flash clockwork mod i get a black screen when im suppose to be seeing the S/W Update. Pls Help?

I do have GB 2.3.3.

Are you holding both Volume up and down during the Flashing process. I am not sure the S/W screen will appear.

Hchave52

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Yea here is exactly what i do;
*I remove the battery,
*I Go to NvFlash directory and Double Click "OneClickRecoveryFlasher.exe".
*Make sure the USB cable is unplugged from my phone.
*Hold Volume Up and Volume Down at the same time keeping them held down. (Keep them held until you see the "S/W Upgrade" screen on your phone after you complete step7!).
*Plug in the USB cable to my phone.
*Click the "Flash CWM" button.

but when i click the button i see the screen on my computer send a bunch of files but it says bootloader download failed!!! and then it says click any button to continue so i do. then when the nvflash screen is finished my G2X is on a black screen for a while until i unplug andput in my battery!

So im wondering isn't it suppose to say "You should see it send a bunch of files to the device and the phone screen should say "S/W Upgrade - Please wait while upgrading...". Once the files are sent and the program is finished running in the command window, you can just pull the USB cord while it still says "S/W Upgrade - Please wait while upgrading..."."

GTWalling

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I think that is a mistype. If you hold the volume keys down without a battery in you will see nothing (no power). Power will be applied when you plug in the USB cable. I remember just a blank screen till I entered the commands. You should also be holding the volume key till the flash is finished and you unplug the USB cable.

Hchave52

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Well it says in the directions to remove the battery, hold the volume buttons down, and then connect the usb to the computer from the phone. Then click the flash cwm button of your choosing, then the computer should send files to the phone, AND THEN thats when the screen on the phone is suppose to show "S/W Upgrade - Please wait while upgrading..."

The part I get stuck on is when i click the flash cmw button, it sends the files and says bootloader fail i think and my screen stays black.

So I mean it says to keep the battery out but should i try with the battery in? If so, do I hold the volume buttons before connecting to the computer or after?

Hchave52

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
ok well i tried rooting again but when i try installing Flash ClockworkMod Recovery the bootloader says it downloaded succesfully and i still have a black screen and no S/W upgrade screen on my phone.

GTWalling

May 18, 2011
Visit site
ok well i tried rooting again but when i try installing Flash ClockworkMod Recovery the bootloader says it downloaded succesfully and i still have a black screen and no S/W upgrade screen on my phone.

Ok, have you tried putting the battery in and booting into CWM. Hold the power button and volume down until you get to the second LG screen with the Blue color around it.

Hchave52

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Ok, have you tried putting the battery in and booting into CWM. Hold the power button and volume down until you get to the second LG screen with the Blue color around it.

I thought that was the process for installing a rom To the phone. Im still in the rooting process. I am just having problems installing the clockwork mod

GTWalling

May 18, 2011
Visit site
"Flash ClockworkMod Recovery the bootloader says it downloaded succesfully"

The question still stands. Have you tried to boot into CWM? To boot into CWM, with the battery in the phone and it turned off, hold the Volume DOWN and the Power button untill it gets to the SECOND LG screen with the blue color at the LG Logo. Yes this is where you would install a rom from. You can not install a rom without booting into CWM first.

Hchave52

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Yea thats what im trying to do, to boot into CWM first and im just stuck on the step where i need to see the upgrade screen on my phone and i just get a black screen. I am using windows XP on my computer idk i tyat will help. So for sure i leave the battery out, hold the volume buttons, plug in to computer, and try and wait for the upgrade screen?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463