Nintendo Classic Discontinued...

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I know this is a little old news, but why not discuss it. From an article on IGN, a Nintendo rep confirmed that the last shipments would be sent to North America. To quote: 'We understand that is has been difficult for many consumers to find a system, and for that we apologize.' They go on to say that they listened to feedback and appreciate the interest in the product.

From the article: Nintendo Discontinues the NES Classic Edition - IGN

Now, on to the discussion. When I heard about the classic about a year ago, I literally made a Keep note to remind me at the same time I woke up to place an order for it. The day arrived and I went to Amazon right away to find out that it was sold out. I was bummed but also not really surprised. Over the next few weeks I saw less and less of news of shipments coming from Nintendo, and more news about people scalping the system.

I can understand wanting to make a profit. Why not? It's not too dissimilar from selling baseball cards. But the markup that some of these people did was insane. I have heard of upwards of $1,000 for one system. But to a degree, that is beside the point. Another shipment was reported to arrive at Amazon. I checked the day I heard that and again, sold out.

By this time, I had pretty much lost interest in the console. Nintendo created a high demand by producing a low supply. They have done this for years, I get it; I don't agree with it, but I get it. But to pull the plug on something that is selling like hotcakes just doesn't make sense to me.

Something I don't understand is why Nintendo won't sell the ROMs for a price point of $5-10 a game. They would make money hand over fist.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
educationalco22