Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default The biggest downside of Android (iOS comparison)

Android's operating system is clearly better than iOS, but the iOS app store clearly has a lot more good games (the one thing I like about iOS is the four-finger gestures to switch between apps; Android should definitely implement this somehow).

Good Exclusives on iOS: Canabalt, Alive4Ever, Rolando, geoDefense, Tilt to Live, Hook Champ games, THPS2, Trainyard, Bit Trip Beat, Edge, Dark Nebula, Monster Dash, Jetpack Joyride, Age of Zombies, Eliminate, Telltale adventure games, Soosiz, Angry Birds without ads, League of Evil, The Incident, Infinity Blade, Rayman 2, Army of Darkness, Katamari, Super Monkey Ball, Flight Control, Spider, Dark Meadow, Scribblenauts Remix, etc.

Good Exclusives on Android: Cordy, Kongregate, Solipskier

This is all from my own observation and I apologize if I got something wrong. Additionally, a lot of apps come out on iOS that don't on Android, like Songify, Psychonauts Vault Viewer, Portal: The Final Hours, etc. So obviously there isn't nearly as much developer support for Android, even though it has now surpassed iOS. I'm not trying to start an argument, I'd just love if I could play all my iPod's great games on my much more powreful and beautiful SGS II. It's basically what's keeping me from getting an Android tablet (that and the lack of aforementioned four-finger gestures). Do you think this is going to change any time soon?

Discuss!
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Default Re: The biggest downside of Android (iOS comparison)

So I guess everyone is reserved to the sad reality of lack of games.

It's a phone. The screen's too small for most games. Don't get me started on streaming movies to a phone.

Seriously though, if there's demand then the games will come. Obviously there's not enough demand yet. Just be glad it's not a Blackberry - talk about crappy games.
    Possum Pete

I'm Not Dead!
    Galaxy Note 2

I hate to spoil it for you guys, but Cordy, Kongregate, and Solipskier are now on the iOS :\, I'm about to switch over to an android smartphone, from my Samsung Behold, to a Galaxy S2 on T-Mobile; to get the Galaxy S2, I need to sell my iPod Touch 2g. This means that I'd lose all my game saves for 3 years D:, so if I could get a smooth transition from the iOS to Android by listing great apps, I'd greatly appreciate it!

After doing some research though, I've found out that you can use a PS3 controller/Wiimote to play emulators, which is a big thumbs up, with the small list of emulators that are compatible with that for the iOS.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Yeah, emulators are better on Android (for powerful phones) but I'm not sure about this forum's policy on talking about that so I didn't want to bring it up. Also, you can download many of your saves to your computer if you jailbreak your iPod. PossumPete, I don't know how you can say the screens are too small. They're bigger than DS or PSP screens, and tons of people like those. With so much demand for games on iOS, DS, etc., there's definitely a demand for them.

Armysblood: I would recommend Asphalt 6, Jet Car Stunts, Dead Space, and Worms. Also, Kongregate can't be on iOS as it uses Flash.

I own a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 and a Samsung Epic 4G. I am not happy with the games when I look at my buddy who gets to play Zombie Gunship, Final Fantasy (1, 3, 5, I can't remember which ones exactly, but the point stands) and MY favorite of all time, Final Fantasy Tactics on his Ipad!

My situation is this. I'm deployed on a Navy ship, and we made port in Singapore. I couldn't purchase any books while I was in Singapore, using WIFI because of legal stuff, I'm not sure. I tried the Amazon Kindle App, Google Books, and B&N. I need something to keep me busy and the Android games I am sorry but they aren't as good. My buddies were able to get the cool games they were looking for using the Itunes store just fine in a foreign country. I'm pretty upset about this. The demand for good games that really use the great and awesome power of the expensive tablet I purchased is there. I don't want games I could have played on my Samsung Moment.

I'm not trying to slam Android here. I'm discussing what I find to be lacking. If there aren't any improvements I will be selling my Galaxy Tab, with screen protector film, USB adapter, and original box with contents. I bought the tablet to get away from the simple games I can play on my phone, the giant screen to enjoy media, games and downloaded books.

Square Enix has sent me a reply to my email asking about bringing their games to the Android Market. They said that isn't on their list of things to do. Not really a NO, but it isn't good news. I guess it was my fault for assuming if iOS got it, it would follow on Android soon after.