Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Global Posts
    258 Global Posts
    ROM
    Nexus 4, Nexus 7

Default Re: Bit of market research

1. No. It shows you the top new and paid, but not that easy to find the newest apps.
    2. Mostly recommendations
    3. I would say the dreaded force close
    4. I usually read the instructions unless it's straight forward like a fps
    5. If the game is good and I'll pay for it every
    6. No
    7. I prefer single players. It always is hard getting a multilayer game
    8. 99% Android Market
    9. Yes. Not a necessity though
    10. All the time
    Thanked by:

ROM
    ICS & CyanogenMOD

1. Do you find it easy to discover new apps on the Android Market?
    Find most games off website reviews.

2. Do you rely on recommendations or do you search categories to find new games?
    Recommendations, a lot.

3. What is the most annoying problem with a new game e.g. force close, poor graphics?
    Non-compatibility.

4. Do you read the instructions on how to play or just Wing it?
    Use tutorial level.

5. When would you pay for a game? (Other than mobile versions of best selling PC/PSP etc games).
    When it's really good.

6. Do you play games where multiplayer involves passing the handset round?
    No.

7. Do you prefer single player or multiplayer games?
    Both.

8. Where do you download most of your games i.e. Android market, Amazon, GetJar?
    Market.

9. Do you like games where you can upload your scores to Facebook or other websites?
    Not really.

10. Do you recommend games you like to friends?
    Yes.
    Thanked by:

1. Yes, but obviously there are better ways to discover new apps, such as friend recommendations and Reddit.

2. I mainly rely on recommendations, but when I'm bored, I find myself browsing market.android.com for new apps.

3. The most annoying problem to me is when a game comes out that doesn't support more than a few devices (like my Kindle Fire running CM9)

4. Depending on the perceived complexity of the game, I may read the instructions, but most games are simple enough that I don't need to.

5. I pay for games that cost more than $3 if they're extremely well-received and seem like something I would play. If it's less than $3, I pay for it if it has a decent concept and doesn't involve micropurchases. I would rather pay more up-front than have to pay more in-game.

6. I rarely do, but there have been specific occasions like with Catan and UNO where I have.

7. I prefer Singleplayer games.

8. I buy most of my games through the Android Market.

9. No, because it clutters my newsfeed and that of my friends.

10. I recommend games to my friends all the time.
    Thanked by:

ROM
    AOKP

1. Not too hard, but I rarely find anything new purely from searching the market
    2. I usually rely on recommendations from sites like AC or AndroidPolice, and sometimes I use AppBrain
    3. Force closing is probably the most annoying, but I also don't like it when it takes 5 minutes of setup before I can actually get to playing
    4. I usually read the instructions
    5. I rarely pay for a game that is more than $2 and I NEVER pay for a game that I have not tried before, either in a trial/demo version or played on a friend's phone
    6. I have never played a "pass n play" type game on my phone
    7. I like both single and multiplayer, but in general the single-player games tend to be more fun for me
    8. Android Market
    9. No I could not care less about letting my friends know my scores, and I'm sure they don't care either
    10. Yes I recommend games all the time
    Thanked by:

ROM
    Stock

1. I think its kind of easy. Its certainly not difficult but it could improve. Not very high on the list of things i'd like to change though. The addition of new and most famous is a must.

2. 99.5 % on recommendations from friends or websites.

3. Mostly games or apps that are late on supporting ICS (or any other new versio), then the force close. As far as the graphics, while there are games that have amazing graphics there are others who are awful. Certainly need to addressed to developers of both games and applications.

4. Most of the times I don't read the instructions. But I do like the games that come with tutorials who show you how to play.

5. To consider buying a game/app the price would be low. Then I would have to read reviews from multiple sources and see game play videos on youtube, if there are any. In other words the game (or the developer) would have to make an effort for me to spend money, and sure worth it!

6. Not really...

7. I mostly play single player games because I use my phone as a casual gaming device. But it would certainly like the idea I could play multiplayer games sometimes. If I may, I would recommend the Raging Thunder racing game were you can make a lan party (wirelessly) and play. It even supports other platforms (iOS).

8. Android Market.

9. Sure!

10. Of course!
    Thanked by:

Yes

2. Do you rely on recommendations or do you search categories to find new games?
    Recommendations

3. What is the most annoying problem with a new game e.g. force close, poor graphics?
    Force Close (Incompatibility with ICS in particular, I'm looking at you, Sonic 4: Episode 1)

Wing it most of the time if I'm familiar with the genre

5. When would you pay for a game? (Other than mobile versions of best selling PC/PSP etc games).
    When I know it is worth it, especially if there is a free version I can try out first

No

Single player

8. Where do you download most of your games i.e. Android market, Amazon, GetJar?
    Android Market

9. Do you like games where you can upload your scores to Facebook or other websites?
    No

Absolutely
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    485 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

1. No. I usually download apps based on recommendations and from android or tech sites
    2. Recommendations
    3. Locks up or has in app purchases without disclosing ahead of time.
    4. Both
    5. If I like the game or app. I usually only
    download apps, not much of a gamer.
    6. No
    7. Single
    8. Android Market and amazon
    9. No.
    10. Yes.
    Thanked by:

ROM
    CM7

Yes, though mostly I rely on Android-oriented sites for app recommendations.

Recommendations, mostly. Search by categories only when I have the time or if I am bored.

I got 2 actually:
    i) Some games do not have an Exit button, and the Back button does not make the game exit (from the lobby/intro if you know what I mean).
    ii) Instability, frequent FCs.

Mostly just wing it.

When it is recommended by friends/websites, catches my fancy, and after I have tried its demo/free version.
    Have bought a few games point-blank (the Story series from Kairosoft) though, since I know the quality of their games.

No, hate to pass an extension of myself around.

Single

Android Market. Would like to use Amazon too, but apparently Amazon doesn't know the rest of the world exists.

No preference, but just make it optional to do so.

Duh. Yes.

Thanked by:

Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock

1. Do you find it easy to discover new apps on the Android Market? Yes. I visit the home page daily.

2. Do you rely on recommendations or do you search categories to find new games? I don't rely on recommendations but I do take others suggestions. ie: android central app picks

not compatible with your brand spanking new device.
    i always read the instructions.
    when the game just plain rocks and i want to keep the dev in business
    never
    single player
    all three
    negative.
    i post it to my social networks or sms it to my friends and family.
    Sprint employee // Product Ambassador // Device Advocate.
    Thanked by:

Not really. It's usually easier to search for something I want. The home page and the "top picks" sections are quite stagnant, doesn't move very fast.

Recommendations mostly. categories are often not specific enough...?

regular force close (a couple is tolerable), no autosave, lag on a phone with a decent cpu.

wing it~ and go back to instructions if i get stuck, or something looks less than intuitive, or it's a puzzle game with specific rules.

When it's nice enough that I know I won't regret paying for it. Either because of a demo, or I've played the same company's other (similar) games before. Or because of a favourable review that seem to describe a game I would like. Or when it's 10 cents, but that's a totally different story.

Not much.

Single player mostly, haven't played much multiplayer...

Market, Amazon and GetJar just for their free stuff. Once in a blue moon I'll find something I really like there, but if I want to pay for something, Market is the only place I can use.

No.

Yes!
    Thanked by:

It's not the best but it's definitely getting better.
    Recommendations but with the new market updates, I do find new apps easier. Appbrain and tablet market-like apps help
    Graphics, user interface, mostly low quality games. Also the same old same old, I hate no innovation (easier said than done, but still)
    Normally just wing it, such as on Xbox, but on mobile gaming there's a huge variety of interfaces and concepts so I enjoy initial game tutorials.
    I like playing a demo and getting hooked and wanting mire. Also I like to have play for free and then if I warrant it very fun, I'll purchase more content (like Pocket Legends)
    Not against the idea but prefer individual handsets playing over wifi.
    I prefer single player on mobile, I enjoy both when it comes to Xbox and such.
    Android Market
    Makes no difference to me, but I'm not very social on the internet lol
    Definitely! Both single player and multiplayer, I love sharing the joy!

I appreciate the consideration. Hope it helps
    Thanked by:
    go6 game likes this.

1) I find finding apps new to me easy enough

2) a little of both.

3) a tie between force closes and excessively long load times.

4) I'm like instructions.

5) I only pay for games that have an option for infinate gameplay. If the game has a beginning and an end I won't pay for it.

6) no.

7) single

8) amazon

9) don't use that feature in games that do

10) yes
    Thanked by:

ROM
    Andromadus ICS

1. Yes it is very easy

2. I usually use search but I do look at the recommendations.

3. Force closing is a big problem and an app not supporting your device is huge too.

4. I read the instructions.

5. If the game is $2 or less and the demo version was fun. Also the fact that there was a demo version and I didn't have to pirate it to try it is a big thing.

6. Yes but I prefer Bluetooth or multiplayer over the internet over passing the device. It shows how much work the dev puts into the app.

7. Single player but the option of multiplayer is always a welcome option.

8. I download ALL of them from the android market.

9. Since I do not have a facebook I am indifferent on this subject.

10. Yes, I do.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

1. Not as easily as I hoped
    2. Niether
    3. Poor design
    4. Wing it
    5. If it looks good enough
    6. No
    7. Both
    8. Amazon
    9. Yes
    10. Yes
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    903 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP JB

Fairly easy but I usually find new apps in the 'New paid' or 'New free' section (where I should find new apps)
    I search through categories
    Most games have similar game play/type as other games already on the market
    I will only look at instructions if it offers me a tutorial, otherwise, I go with the latter
    When it has good reviews and isn't overpriced ($1-$3 is fine)
    Not often
    Multiplayer
    Android Market
    No
    Yes
    The Officer
    Thanked by:

I find it fairly easy but I also rely on websites like Android central to point me to stuff

Most of the time I rely on recommendations, but I do browse the categories from time to time. I find the categories are too broad though and things cross categories from time to time

Most annoying problem I find is how fast some of these games go through my battery and how hot my phone gets.
    If its an angry birds clone or an obvious game mechanic I just wing it but I do check for tutorials and the such for anything else. I find if a game doesn't have one it doesn't bother me too much

If a game is original and can keep me busy from time to time its worth the price

Local multiplayer is always a nice addition

Just depends on my mood i guess

Android Market

No

All the time, if a game is cross platform I recommend my IOS buddies get it too. Word of mouth tends to be the best way of spreading a good game I find
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    382 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock

1 No
    2 Recommendations
    3 Won't work or isn't available in market for my device. I currently have a Galaxy Note and surprising that nearly everything works on it, but found a few that didn't or ones that you can be pretty sure would but are not available in market for it. Also i don't use apps with billing permission.
    4 Depends how complicated it is. I don't play to many complicated ones.
    5 Normally only after trying it out so free/trial versions are good
    6 No
    7 Single, but simple multiplayer games would be great if they are on all the major platforms
    8 Android market, Amazon
    9 No
    10 Yes
    Thanked by:

Multi player games through either a wifi direct connection enabled phones ...and or the best way like the old N-Gage QD ...multi player games through Bluetooth connection....ahhh...I really miss tony hawk game on my n-gage QD !!!! I would pay for games likethat
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts

1. yes, as long as the description has all the keywords, and preferably a relevant graphic (faster to find by looking through things quickly)

2. Both: first through categories, then it's sorted by ratings.

3. Force closes mainly

4. usually wing it, unless there's an interesting intro/tutorial

5. usually pay, to get rid of ads. $5 (or less) is a no-brainer

6. never play multi-player

7. single

8. always android market

9. no. don't care about rankings generally

10. not often.
    Thanked by:
    = I C E D R E E =

Global Posts
    470 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 2.3.4 - Stock 4.0.4

Not all the time

Yes, I actually stopped downloading random games, I've to read about it in Android Central first

Not scaling properly on my Atrix (allot of apps doesn't scale properly

Lack of music

Just wing it & hope for the best

When Google allows us to buy Apps in Saudi Arabia

No , I dont like to give my phone to other people

Single player. Im a Grand Theft Auto guy & I spend days just playing it, but my brother wants to join him in Call of Duty when he is not playing Xbox live

Android Market & GetJar . amazon doesn't work in Saudi Arabia

I don't mind having this feature as along as they do NOT force me to use it

If it have an iOS version, yes. I don't know anyone with an Android phone (all of them are BB & iOS users)

I hope that helps & good luck with your game
    Thanked by:
    go6 game likes this.

Yeah, it’s not that hard to find newly posted apps.

I search through categories and go by recommendations from friends and tech/android blogs.

Incompatibility with certain phones/tablets and choppy graphics are annoying problems.

I usually just wing it. Sometimes I read them, but if not I just take screenshots for later.

If it looks very fun to me based on screenshots or videos online, and the price is good (around $10 max), I’ll buy it. Demo’s help too.

I haven’t played a game like that, but that does sound interesting.

I prefer single player for mobile devices, but online multiplayer is very fun for some games.

I get most games from the Android Market.

I usually turn that feature off or don’t use it. I only leave it on for Game Center on iOS.

I sure do
    Thanked by:

1. The best ways I find new apps is if they are featured on the main store page...or if I do a search for something specific (such as a megaphone app...or a newsreader)

2. For games, I usually don't look at anything unless it was recommended from a blogging site like AndroidCentral, DroidLife, or Phandroid.

3. Force closes is a top one...right up there though is that it's not compatible with my device.

4. If there is a tutorial to play, I will play through it, but I don't read manuals.

5. Being able to try for free is key. If it has no replay value, then it's not worth buying. Then it has to be the right price as I usually wait for the game to go on sale.

6. I have never yet...but if the right game came along, I would. I could see something like a Catch Phrase type game fun to bring to a party.

7. I have no preference.

8. Android Market.

9. Doesn't make a difference to me.

10. Only if they are extraordinary.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by go6 game View Post
    Hi

As an android apps developer I would be very interested to get some feedback on the following points:

Not easy

Most of time online reviews.

poor graphics

Wing it the first ime

good experience with trial version

No

single

Market

No

Yes

Thanks for your patience - I'm sure a lot of developers would love to know this stuff and maybe improve user experiences!
    Thanked by:

ROM
    CyanogenMod 9

Answers below in bold.

Quote Originally Posted by go6 game View Post
    Hi

As an android apps developer I would be very interested to get some feedback on the following points:

I don't have much trouble
    Both, but mostly recommendations
    Weird force closes. Game isn't as fun as the screenshots or video make it seem.
    I usually just wing it until I can't figure out how to do something. I look at the directions when needed though.
    When would I pay for a game? I guess that depends on how I like the free version. My preference would be a free version that has an in-app purchase to unlock/download the rest of the content.
    No way. I've played Monopoly like this once on my Kindle Fire, but that's where I draw the line.
    I prefer single player games that have multiplayer components. I like to play multiplayer, so that's a real bonus.
    Probably equal. I haven't actually found any games that I would be willing to pay more than $2 for. Even at $.10 and free from Amazon, none of them hold my attention except for Uno.
    Kind of. I like to be able to upload it to the game server so that other players of the same game can see my scores. I don't care if it can go to Facebook or not, though, and I wouldn't do it if I had the option. Twitter, maybe.
    Yes. More accurately, I recommend games to them that I think they would like

Thanks for your patience - I'm sure a lot of developers would love to know this stuff and maybe improve user experiences!
    Thanked by:

Not unless I know what I'm looking for. If I try to browse I just see a bunch of apps I already know about, and it's rare to find something new that I am actually interested in. I only took the time to browse more in depth when I first got my phone.

I generally hear about an app / game first on a site like AndroidCentral or from a friend / social media.

Force closes are always annoying. If an app doesn't work, it doesn't matter how good the idea is. Ads that get in the way of gameplay are also frustrating. Slow loading games and ads also annoy me.

I generally wing it, and only refer to the instructions when I have a question. (Some games have a tutorial or splash screen with instructions that show up when you first play, and if the basic gameplay is not obvious, this is most helpful).

I'd probably only pay for a game if I had the option to try a demo out first. If the game is enjoyable and seems worth the price for a full version/more features then I'll buy it. It's not usually worth it to me if the only difference is that it's ad-free or if the app isn't the BEST it can be (updated frequently and no major problems or missing features).

Generally, no. If I'm in the same room with someone and want to play, I'm more likely to just pull out an actual board/card game. I also feel a bit weird having others use my phone.

I would love to see more variety of multiplayer games, especially turn-based ones that you can play your turn whenever you have free time (like Words with Friends, etc). Most of these games are word games, which are fun, but I'd like to see some more inventive ones. Single player games are good, but there are more of them already out.

Since I always try to check for Amazon's daily free app, I have a lot of games from there. However, most all my paid games have been purchased through the Android Market. I haven't used GetJar and don't intend to right now. I also have bought a couple through Barnes & Noble for my Nook Tablet.

I don't really use this feature.

Yes, I frequently recommend games to friends.
    Thanked by:
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast