Nexus Q - Price Point Missed?

Weirdo0815

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
So I admit that the Nexus Q looks incredible but the $300 price is a bit much. I understand that having a built-in amplifier adds some $$$ but couldn't they have come out with a version without the amplifier for those of us with an A/V receiver already? If it was $50 or even $100, I would have it pre-ordered already. Even my wife, who doesn't really care much about tech, sees how great this is. That is until I reminded her that her iPhone 4S doesn't have NFS so likely won't be able to talk to this as easily as my GN, if it can talk to it at all. She still thinks its an awesome idea. Put the stamp of Wife Approval on it, Google!

Now imagine if Google and/or someone else releases a Google TV set-top box with the same ability! That would be the ultimate! I would LOVE to simply tap my phone to the Google TV box and have it start streaming whatever I had up on my phone while still being able to act alone. Maybe make the Nexus Q2 a full Google TV box???

Man... the possibilities of this tech are endless!

I LOVE ANDROID!!!!

halfme

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
A Google who worked on the development of the Q said the price was higher because all the materials in it, and most of the labor, came from the USA. They told Ars Technica that it was more important for Google to avoid the human rights violations that you might get from non US manufacturers (cough Foxconn cough) than to undercut on price or boost the profit margin.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Reactions: Mercury81

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
The higher price reflects being built in the USA?

That's fine, but it seems a little inconsistent that Google makes the Nexus Q here, but the Nexus tablet is made in Asia. What gives?

brandonx1000

rule the air.
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
i understand the need for the higher cost, but i will definitely wait for a price reduction closer to $150

they did an awesome job with it, it just seems way too expensive for what it is

Mercury81

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
The higher price reflects being built in the USA?

That's fine, but it seems a little inconsistent that Google makes the Nexus Q here, but the Nexus tablet is made in Asia. What gives?

I think it great that they are making it here,I will pay the price gladly...:beer::D:thumbup:

from Evo4GLTE on Android Central

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
I actually think it's kind of cool, in a way. The Q has style and chutzpah, similar to an Apple product. The base is made out of molded zinc, the PCB is all designed in a circular shape, it's made in the USA, and it has a glowing LED ring. I'm kind of excited about it, actually. This kind of product design impresses me much more than the last gen Nexus smartphones, at least.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
My first reaction: Why does this exist?

Google SHOULD have realized that the potential market for this will not tolerate something this expensive, especially when its chief competitor costs $200 less. Had they priced it at $99 and cut out some of the fluff, this would have been a KILLER addition to the Android ecosystem. As it stands now, it will launch with a resounding thud.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
A Google who worked on the development of the Q said the price was higher because all the materials in it, and most of the labor, came from the USA. They told Ars Technica that it was more important for Google to avoid the human rights violations that you might get from non US manufacturers (cough Foxconn cough) than to undercut on price or boost the profit margin.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Disingenuous at best, pandering at worst.

EVERY smartphone or tablet (including Google's own devices) that work with this are made in those factories. Google owes its Android success to those factories. Any grandstanding not only rings hollow, but reeks of the petty BS that I would expect from Apple or Microsoft on issues such as this.

It also speaks volumes that they chose a product that they know won't sell because of the price to be the one that's made in the US. When they build the Nexus7 or the next Nexus phone in the US, then they might have the right to trumpet it around.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech