Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    8 Global Posts

Default Root Samsung Galaxy Ace (s5830)

Hi

The samsung I am using is running out of space so I download SD Maid. Bit it requires it to be rooted. When I get to recover menu I only have the following options:

reboot system now
    apply sdcard:update.zip
    wipe data/factory reset
    wipe cache partition.

Now I want root the phone so I can use SD made and clear of the stuff that not required for more space to that at least I can receive my text messages. I have gone to a few sites google recommend but to no avail, can't root the phone. Why? Because its looking for that update.zip file (options listed above). Is there some way I can get the software not to look for that file so I can load the universal_gb_root_v25.zip. Just as side note I have mac book pro not a windows machine. Also each time I download the zip file I receive it unzipped from in my downloads folder... Help please. Thanks.

ROM
    CNA/CM9/Mirage

Default Re: Root Samsung Galaxy Ace (s5830)

Quote Originally Posted by JozuaJudah View Post
    Hi

The samsung I am using is running out of space so I download SD Maid. Bit it requires it to be rooted. When I get to recover menu I only have the following options:

reboot system now
    apply sdcard:update.zip
    wipe data/factory reset
    wipe cache partition.

Now I want root the phone so I can use SD made and clear of the stuff that not required for more space to that at least I can receive my text messages. I have gone to a few sites google recommend but to no avail, can't root the phone. Why? Because its looking for that update.zip file (options listed above). Is there some way I can get the software not to look for that file so I can load the universal_gb_root_v25.zip. Just as side note I have mac book pro not a windows machine. Also each time I download the zip file I receive it unzipped from in my downloads folder... Help please. Thanks.
    Wrong forum. And also, the recovery (or software as you said) is not "looking" for the update.zip. its just an option. That would be how you upgrade your phone. Other than that, idk. Please consult your devices forum.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Android Central Forums
    Guess whos coming back!
    Thanked by:

You may want to look here:

http://androidforums.com/ace-all-thi...oot-guide.html

It won't solve the issue of you Mac unzipping the rooting package though. That's a setting on your Mac that you'll have to find and at least temporarily disable.

By the way, update.zip is how system updates are packaged and sent out to the phone. If you rename the rooting package to update.zip before using recovery to flash it to your phone it very well might not work as expected unless it has the exact same set of features that the recovery program is expecting the system update to have. Not recommended.
    Thanked by:
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    8 Global Posts

Thanks for the help I will repost the question in the right forum. Is there a guide here one can read as how best to use this forum as it will give a me an idea of the do's and dont's and which forums you post what in. I did do topic search and found a related topics in this forum so I posted here. Apologie sfor that. Thanks for link glarepate. I will give it a read.I must also say that if this was straight forward as it is made out top be it quite logical that I wont be posting for help on this forum.

ROM
    Cold as Ice

I did a quick search of android central, and it doesn't appear that there is a specific forum for your device. That's too bad. You can post in the "other android devices" forum, but it may be harder to find help there. Of course, maybe it won't. I've never tried.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/other-android-devices/

You might want to just search the site for users who have the ace and sound like they know what they are doing. Send a private message to them asking where to ask questions about the ace. I'm not familiar with it, and idk if it maybe goes by another name. Good luck!
    Thanked by: