Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Verttex
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Post Is this a good phone?

I want to get a new phone with nice specs, but something like an unlocked S3 is insanely expensive. I found this on Amazon, and it has fairly good reviews , and an unbeatable price. I have a T-mobile prepaid plan that I might someday update to include data. So would this be a good phone?
    Amazon.com: Unlocked Quadband Dual Sim Android 4.1 OS With 4.7 Inch Capacitive Touch Screen 3G Smart Phone - AT&T, T-mobile, H20, Simple mobile and other GSM networks (Blue): Cell Phones & Accessories

Sent from my Glade Air Freshener using Android Central Forums

Default Re: Is this a good phone?

The reviews say it is well made and it can be rooted. It does seem like a cheap ripoff of the S3 but it looks better than some of the fake ones we have seen.
    diabloking likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

My only concern is that if I ever do get a data plan, it may not work on 3G data speeds. It says in the description that the 1700 MHz band (TM's primary 3G band) isn't supported, but the 1900 Mhz band is, which T-mobile is developing HSPA+ on; however, it's listed in the description that that band has only 2G, so I have no idea what to make of it.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

I just ordered it- It'll get here in a month or so. When it does, I'll write a review of it.

It looks like a pretty good knock off

- - - Updated - - -

Also I like your signature

Ships slow boat from Hong Kong. Might get tied up in customs. There is potentially a long wait for something that might have issues.

The CPU is a single core 1.0 GHz and only 512 MB RAM. No mention of a GPU.

Look at the radio. The GSM module is only 2G and the 3G is CDMA EVDO - no mention of what Revision. If you plug a SIM into this phone you are only going to get Edge data speed. Not sure what CDMA carrier would let you bring this onto their network. Maybe an mvno, but you'd have to hunt around for that...

Phones like this often won't connect to the genuine Google Play Store either.

Want a custom ROM? Not sure who would fix one up for this beastie...

WiFi only supports b/g protocols and is missing a/n support.

They do give you two batteries. How small must the capacity be on those that they know 1 won't see you through a day???

I'm sure you would be much better off spending the same amount on Craig's List for something gently used.

Bad Phone (waps it on the nose with a rolled up newspaper), VERY BAD phone. Go to your corner and don't come out!!!!!