Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Recommend me a tablet to buy?

I am in need of a low cost tablet around $100. I mainly want to use it to show stuff to some old people. They can't see / hear my cell phone too well and it's a pain to have to get them out of the chair to come into my bedroom to see something.

Here's my requirements for something and maybe you can recommend a tablet?

- Is it really a big difference to get Android 4.2 as opposed to 4.1? I heard 4.2 runs a lot smoother. I'm not sure about any features it has. So, I'm looking at 4.1 at least, unless 4.2 is really that much better.

- At least 7" screen

- My cell phone has 1GB memory and a dual core 1.2Ghz processor and I'm happy with it's performance, so I think this tablet should have that or better.

- Obviously it needs WiFi built in.

- Need to mainly surf web, YouTube, etc, but will also do some games.

- Need to be able to install Google Play store if it doesn't already have it.

- I prefer something I could go pick up in store, but if the deal good from a reputable place online I'll buy there.

Default Re: Recommend me a tablet to buy?

Since the new Nexus 7 has just come out, you can be sure that the outgoing model will become much cheaper--my guess is that the 16 GB model will drop to around $150 (new, not refurbished). The Nexus 7 is still the best value out there, in my opinion. Alternatively, you could consider the Asus MeMO Pad 7", which is like a cheaper, slower Nexus 7 with a somewhat lower quality screen. But for your purposes, it might fit the bill. It's currently $99 at TigerDirect.com:

ASUS MeMO Pad Tablet - Android 4.1 Jelly Bean, VIA WM8950 1.0GHz, 1GB DDR3, 16GB Flash Storage, 7 TouchScreen, Webcam, Gray (ME172V-A1-GR) at TigerDirect.com
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

That's not bad. Already has Google Play. I think I'm gonna go for it.

I found this on Asus website:

Source Code (1)

Version V4.2.2.81468/4.2.2.51129 Copy Link
    Description ME173X Kernel Code for Android 4.1 JB OS (V4.2.2.81468/4.2.2.51129)
    File Size 95,49 MBytesupdate 2013.07.05
    Download from Global

Is that Jellybean 4.1 or 4.2 you think? To me that appears it's 4.2

It looks like it's still 4.1. Asus is usually pretty good about updates, so it has a decent chance of getting 4.2, maybe even 4.3.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AC Forums mobile app

Well, if you want a good one you should really have a bigger budget.
    I got a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, awesome thing. But... it costs something around 500 dollars.
    You should not expect a great device for something around 100 dollars
    Don't be mad at me, just a GREAT tip.

It's hard to get such tab. Why don't you ebay'd for used ones? I'd recommend to get a new HP Slate 7" but it costs around $200; delivers solid performance. Have a look at more options that are acclaimed as best tablets by users and experts.

**** this ****t >_<