Android TV Box advice

kilo1981

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Hi folks,

Was hoping someone could answer a couple of questions about android TV boxes and maybe point me in the direction of a suitable one.

1) I was looking at the Now TV box, but I've read that you need your laptop/PC or a NAS to be on in order to stream content onto it. Are there any Android TV boxes which will work standalone, i.e you don't need a laptop or whatever to stream.

2) I guess this next question depends on the answer to the first, but basically all I'm looking for from the Android Box is to get some of the TV apps working (4OD, BBC iPlayer etc...) I have a TV in my room which won't be used too much, so I don't want to spend money on another cable box and subscription so I'm hoping an Android TV box may be a good alternative. Would anyone have a suggestion on a suitable box. Is there any difference between Plex and XMBC in relation to the number of TV apps available for either.

Thanks in advance!

Isagani Esteron

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
Hi I would say that the best Android TV box right now would be the Minix X7. You just need to hook it up to your TV or a monitor and you're set, no need for PC. It's essentially Android on your TV so you can download apps that let you watch free or paid movies or shows

jbardi

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
I second that, been through about all the major tv android sticks on the market, and though not technically a stick, as newbies will go for the smaller devices, the Minix NEO X7 is the best device on the market as of right now. Can't go wrong, especially if you flash it with a 3rd party rom, such as Finless Bob's v1.6 rom. Stay away from the Minix NEO X7 Mini, as it is not well supported by the 3rd party community and you will regret the missing features you get with the standard sized X7.

NewtonGravity

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure about the one you listed, but I do have the Orealo Android 4.0 Dual-Core TV Box with Hard-disk Support
Android 4.0 Dual-Core TV Box with Hard-disk Support
You can get it on Amazon as well...
Amazon.com: Android / XBMC Smart TV Media Player with SATA Harddisk support by Orealo Dual Core Processor Quad core GPU 1GB RAM WIFI and Ethernet Support: Electronics

but I ordered it through their official site so I can get support - just in case.

I'll post a review about it today on this forum but I think it's the best tv box I've bought thus far. I've owned a lot of tv boxes over the years- (Apple, Western Digital, and Roku) and I think this one beats them by a mile.

Anyways ya, I'll post a more detailed review about it once I get some time. :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johndoe11